Realistic Half Marathon Pacing

Options
So I've never run a half marathon before, and I'm signed up for 2 next year.

I just doing some longer term planning, and my first race on May 6th.

Currently my longest run (yesterday) was at 9.1 miles. I averaged a 9:48 mile pace during the run, and actually felt pretty good after it. I'm sure that I could have done another 4 miles.

I'm just trying to figure out if a 2:15 goal time is realistic.

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think I saw on runnersworld.com a pace calculator that took your different race paces and predicted what you could probably do for the longer runs. I know I'm in the same pace range as you and I remember seeing that 2:15 for a half was doable.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Yup that is realistic. However just make sure that on the last 3 miles, your pace is consistent. My longest run was 10.30miles and my pace dropped by about 1-2mins a mile in the last 2 miles. But that's because it was my first long run around that distance and still in training.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If I extend that split out to the full half marathon distance, its a 2:08. I'd be more than happy with that. A few weeks ago, I was thinking 2:40 would be a realistic time for me.

I still have a lot of training time left, so i guess i have time to get stronger.

Thanks for the tip
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    According to this pace chart if you can maintain that pace, your finish time will be around 2:10, so 2:15 is very doable.
    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6745&PageNum=&CategoryID=

Also, take into consideration you still have quite a bit of time left for training. I definitely think it is realistic.

Edit - whoops, I looked at a 9:58 pace. It will be about 2:08 at 9:48
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Yup that is realistic. However just make sure that on the last 3 miles, your pace is consistent. My longest run was 10.30miles and my pace dropped by about 1-2mins a mile in the last 2 miles. But that's because it was my first long run around that distance and still in training.

Dropped as in got slower?

I'm using Runkeeper on my iPhone with a coach that I can give a pace goal to, and it'll remind me how I'm doing. I may have to use that during my race.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Wow how long have u been training? I started 1.5 months ago and ran 12.4 miles @ 10.5 pace... freaking slow... what did you do to increase your pace? Did you start at that pace from the beginning?
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Wow how long have u been training? I started 1.5 months ago and ran 12.4 miles @ 10.5 pace... freaking slow... what did you do to increase your pace? Did you start at that pace from the beginning?

I was a distance runner back in high school, so I guess I've been able to tap back into that training.

I've been seriously running since about September (and have lost 36 pounds in the process). I'm improving my pace by doing long runs on the weekends, and doing more speed work during the week. (Interval runs on the treadmill and faster work outside). Mix in some strength work during the week.

I definitely didnt start there. My earlier longer runs (4+ miles) were above 11 min/mile.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

If you want to speed up, you can't go out and try set a new distance record every time you run. Go run 5 or 6 miles, I be you can easily hold a 9:00 pace (or better).
  • arc918
    Options
    Now for the original poster:

I would try racing some 5K and 10K and then feed those times through the McMillan calculator. That can help give a good idea of realistic pace.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    I'm trying to slowly increase my distance base up to near 13.1 before i do Hal Higdon's training plan starting in Feb. I'm only increasing my long runs by about 10% every time.

I think I will take your advice and do my longer run this weekend as shorter distance, but at a faster pace.
  • bshedwick
    Options

I would try racing some 5K and 10K and then feed those times through the McMillan calculator. That can help give a good idea of realistic pace.

I did a 5k at the beginning of Nov. I feel like i've made a lot of progress since then. I definitely need to find a 10K to race sometime before May 6th.
  • arc918
    Options

I did a 5k at the beginning of Nov. I feel like i've made a lot of progress since then. I definitely need to find a 10K to race sometime before May 6th.

Or you can just go you out do you own 5K time trial. Warm up a mile or two, then drop the hammer!
  • arc918
    Options
    I'm trying to slowly increase my distance base up to near 13.1 before i do Hal Higdon's training plan starting in Feb. I'm only increasing my long runs by about 10% every time.

I think I will take your advice and do my longer run this weekend as shorter distance, but at a faster pace.

FWIW - I totally reject all rules of thumb on increasing distance. I see that 10% one here all the time. I believe in listen to your body. If you are running 8 miles and you feel great, then you can go 9.5 or 10 miles.

I wouldn't tell anyone to go from 5 to 8 miles in a single swoop, but I find 10% to be too restrictive at lower mileage (and perhaps at higher mileage as well). Just don't stop running on one of those rare magical "I feel great days" because you are up against a rule of thumb.

Just my $.02
  • bshedwick
    Options

FWIW - I totally reject all rules of thumb on increasing distance. I see that 10% one here all the time. I believe in listen to your body. If you are running 8 miles and you feel great, then you can go 9.5 or 10 miles.

I wouldn't tell anyone to go from 5 to 8 miles in a single swoop, but I find 10% to be too restrictive at lower mileage (and perhaps at higher mileage as well). Just don't stop running on one of those rare magical "I feel great days" because you are up against a rule of thumb.

Just my $.02

Cool. I will keep that in mind. I was thinking about going longer yesterday b/c i really felt good, but didnt want to push myself too much.
  • arc918
    Options
    When I reject is the notion that one is "safe from injury" at one moment, then they are suddenly injury prone the moment they cross a magic number.

Listen to your body and have fun!
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Will do!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    My first half is on May 6th too! Frederick?
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Just my $.02

Glad to hear you say this. I've always felt 10% was too restrictive as well. But then again, I seldom play by the rules.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    That's definitely a do-able time goal. My 10K PR is 58:00 and I'll be happy under 2:20 for my first half in March. I'm taking into account now that I know I'll chicken out on a few training runs on really cold days between now and then so not improving my pace too much, but doubling my distance from beginning of November to beginning of March.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the app Runner's World Smartcoach, which you can also do online. It's a training calculator that gives you a schedule up to your race (16 weeks out) and if you follow it you WILL beat that pace, by a long shot! I used it for both my first 10k and my first half and was able to finish almost exactly when they said. You put in your current info and they do the math for you.. it's awesome!

You're going to KILL those races... you're doing great already! I'm already planning to start training for my second half on April 7, training will start Dec 19!!!! Can't wait!