Green Tea fat metabolizer

Options
While browsing some other posts, I came across some about vitamins that people take and I noticed some people taking "Irwin Naturals - Green Tea Fat Metabolizer" So I did a little bit more research to see if I should take this or just keep drinking my green tea....

well it appears that in order to get a good metabolism benefit from green tea you need quite a bit amount of EGCG ( I think it said between 400 and 1600) but 1 cup of green tea only contains like 30. So I would need to drink tons of green tea. Or I could take this supplement...

I read some reviews about it on other sites. Everything seemed to be positive... except for one comment on amazon about it failing a test 14 times because it has over the legal amount of lead in it. (http://www.amazon.com/review/R30TOBIV70FGIE/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R30TOBIV70FGIE) I don't know what this means and I can't seem to find out more information about this. Anybody know about this?

what are your experiences with this supplement?

Replies

• lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in supplements doing anything they say they do. Most supplements are crap, to tell you the truth. Have a cup of tea, and eat what you are supposed to eat to get all of your nutrients in. Your body will know what to do with them. If you want to get more bang for your buck when it comes to green tea consumption, get matcha green tea powder. You consume the whole leaf. The taste is strong, but I have been loving it lately.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    that's good advice, but since I'm new to dieting I'm having a hard time getting all my nutrients in. I went through my log for last month and I was way under my vitamin goals, so I've been considering using supplements until I get used to "healthier" eating and can get them solely from food.

I think I want to try the green tea supplements at least for a month to see how I feel. But I want to know what other people think from using them in their experience
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    that's good advice, but since I'm new to dieting I'm having a hard time getting all my nutrients in. I went through my log for last month and I was way under my vitamin goals, so I've been considering using supplements until I get used to "healthier" eating and can get them solely from food.

I think I want to try the green tea supplements at least for a month to see how I feel. But I want to know what other people think from using them in their experience

If you are new to dieting, then the worst thing you can do are take nutrient supplements. The best thing you could do is make sure you replace what you are eating with more nutrient rich foods. If you eat fruit, vegetables, protein from plant based, or even animal based sources, and dairy or calcium rich foods, there is no way you can miss getting everything you need. If you are eating starchy, beige, or white foods as the bulk of your intake, then you won't get what you need. Supplements won't work because they are not food based and your body won't absorb them, and a "fat metabolizer" won't provide any nutrient at all. There is not such thing as a fat metabolizer, so the name alone would have me running for the hills.... The only fat metabolizer that has been proven to be effective is exercise.

There are no quick fixes to proper nutrition or weight loss, unfortunately. It takes a lot of time, research, effort, and energy to make it long term.

I just read an article on supplements....

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/tablets-and-powder-no-substitute-for-food-20111209-1on69.html
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of pseudo-science herbal remedies. They are not regulated by the FDA and have, oftentimes, not been tested. There are a lot of unknown risks in that, and the producers often make false health claims. If you want to boost your metabolism, drink some caffeine or go exercise.
  • brookeg20
    Options
    I take a multivitamin every day and a calcium supplement. My doctor said women in their mid 20s should start taking a daily calcium supplement to prevent osteoperosis. Most of the research says that you should take a multivitamin every day to help make sure you are getting what you need. I don't know about supplements to help boost your metabolism, but I do know that taking a multivitamin every day is part of a healthy lifestyle.

If you are looking for some really great information on how to eat healthy I recommend the book "Eat, Drink, and be Healthy" by Walter Willet. He is the head of the nutrition department at Harvard, and the book is based on years of accumulated data. It's easy to read and understand, and the entire second half of the book are healthy recipes. I like that he explains to you not just what you should eat, but WHY you should eat that.

Good luck to you!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

If you are new to dieting, then the worst thing you can do are take nutrient supplements. The best thing you could do is make sure you replace what you are eating with more nutrient rich foods. If you eat fruit, vegetables, protein from plant based, or even animal based sources, and dairy or calcium rich foods, there is no way you can miss getting everything you need. If you are eating starchy, beige, or white foods as the bulk of your intake, then you won't get what you need. Supplements won't work because they are not food based and your body won't absorb them, and a "fat metabolizer" won't provide any nutrient at all. There is not such thing as a fat metabolizer, so the name alone would have me running for the hills.... The only fat metabolizer that has been proven to be effective is exercise.

There are no quick fixes to proper nutrition or weight loss, unfortunately. It takes a lot of time, research, effort, and energy to make it long term.

I just read an article on supplements....

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/tablets-and-powder-no-substitute-for-food-20111209-1on69.html

Well said.