Is it true...treadmills poor on joints?

Options
My question is exactly what the subject say....can any answer this and tell me why ? I assumed they were easier on the joints than running outside....

Replies

• jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sorry Juicegirl, I know NOTHING about treadmills, excercise or joints (never tried them personally, some of my friends have though). I will piggyback on your questions hoping some of these excercise gurus will answer both of our questions. I jumped on the treadmill for the first time in several years tonight (took me a hour to clean it off..that was pretty good excercise on its own). Im a 6'2" 57 year old male that weighs 284 down from 295 since I got on MFP (couple of weeks ago). My question is... should my knees feel funny when I get off the machine..not hurt...just feel like they might be swelling a little? I started noticing over the past year if I walk a lot they seem to do that. I used to run long distance in my 30's but have not done any deliberate excercise since then. The most I do now is occassionally load hay and stack hay for the horses; walk the pasture working on the fence and getting in and out of the car selling trucks all day.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, treadmills are not hard on the joints. Anyone with a chronic medical condition or injury problem can experience movement pain with any exercise modality, depending on the specifics of their condition. However, there is no inherent risk of any kind in exercising on a treadmill--unless you forget to keep your legs moving.
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Running is high impact on the joints in your lower extremities - running surface will play a part in this (rubberized track vs. concrete - grass vs asphalt) but the impact is still there. Treadmill or no there is going to be impact on those joints. The heavier you are the more impact - building muscle that help support those joints will help, but work into running gradually and listen to your body.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    hey that's great to lose that much in just a few weeks....yes, I am just trying to decide what is better- running outdoors or on a treadmill. I am now being told by people treadmills are worse for the joints than running outdoors- never thought I would hear that...I thought the opposite:)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I used to run trails, and found that easier on the body then streets or sidewalks.

My equiptment of choice would be the elliptical though.

It's like a security guard at a reggae concert.

Easy on the joints.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Forget to move the legs. That can be embarassing, even at home...Dont ask me how I know!
  • crisnis
    Options
    Forget to move the legs. That can be embarassing, even at home...Dont ask me how I know!

:laugh:
  • crisnis
    Options

:laugh:
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It really depends on two things IMHO - what your current fitness level is (do you have any previous injuries to be concerned about) and the quality of the treadmill itself; specifically the deck.

A good treadmill has a sturdy deck, has good absorption/cushioning but NOT be springy/bouncy! If you are using a treadmill that has a springy deck then yes, it could be bad on your knees and joints. You have to remember every time your foot comes down on that deck the impact is twice your weight; you don't want to be on a bouncy deck that will cause the impact force to be greater. THAT kind of treadmill will be worse for you then pounding the pavement.