Vitamines! When to take them?

Options
Hello All
I am learning a lot about food...but still kinda confused about the whole vitamine thing! Right now I take 1 daily muti-vitamine and 2 Omega 3 pills with dinner. I usually pop them and then eat dinner. Is there another time I should be taking them,can I take more Omega 3? shoudld i eat them on a full stomach, empty one?should I be taking all 3 together? Any help would be MOST appreciated!

Replies

• chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Hello All
    I am learning a lot about food...but still kinda confused about the whole vitamine thing! Right now I take 1 daily muti-vitamine and 2 Omega 3 pills with dinner. I usually pop them and then eat dinner. Is there another time I should be taking them,can I take more Omega 3? shoudld i eat them on a full stomach, empty one?should I be taking all 3 together? Any help would be MOST appreciated!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You get the most effect from vitamin supplements when you take them with a meal that has a little bit of fat (some vitamins won't absorb wihtout fat) but not too much vitamin already in there (because your body can only absorb so much).

It does NOT make sense to take Omega-3 with salmon - it's already there!
    It does NOT make sense to take calcium with milk/dairy - it's already there!

You can only absorb 500 mg of Calcium at a time. I don't know the specs for other vitamins, but in general, I'd say... take your vitamins with a meal that doesn't have too many vitamins in it already.

I'm sure this stuff can be looked up. :wink:
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I take 2 GNC mega women's active vitamins daily. One at breakfast. One at lunch. I have so much energy!
  • DMORTIFF
    DMORTIFF Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have been taking one omega pill in the morning oops should have read the label but it is suggested that i take 3 after meals. I haven't really felt any different other than somebody else telling me my skin is is nice and soft. I also see a nutritionist for apetite supressers and chromium which have helped with the weight lose i still exercise daily and the difference is before i would do it with out the help from the nutritionist and not lose weight but maintain what i had now i am starting to see a difference in just over a month.