I havn't exercised in ages

Options
a long long time ago I ran for a three month period 3 times a week. I am worried I am too big heavy and asthmatic to start again. What do I do????

Replies

• kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    a long long time ago I ran for a three month period 3 times a week. I am worried I am too big heavy and asthmatic to start again. What do I do????
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Good for you to reach out for help.

You're #1. Don't forget that. You're a proud mommy. Good for you. Remember, you're #1 in your life.

Take good care of yourself first. :heart: :heart:

An object that is stationary tends to remain stationary.
    An object that is in motion tends to remain in motion.

What is one small step you can take right now to get moving? :heart:
    What is one better question you can ask yoursel right now?:heart:
    What is one small thing you can do to motivate yourself?:heart:
    What is the next step after that? :heart:
    What is the next step after that one? :heart:
    What if you knew all the answers within already?:heart:
    What if you loved yourself no matter what?:heart:
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You need to star out slow, try walking and each day add more time and soon you will be running!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to run? I started walking and haven't stopped! I love it! I asked my dr if I should be running and he said as long as I get my heartrate up, power walking is better for your body.

(now-nothing wrong with you runners-I envy you!!!:smooched: )

I just get an idea of what is the right way to do something, and if I fall short I quit. Think of what will work for you NOW!!

You are in the right place and WELCOME!!:flowerforyou:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If running is what you want to do start slow and build your strength up again. If you absolutely can't run then as arewethereyet suggested try walking. It can be just as fun, especially if you go outside. :smile:
  • cometnurse
    cometnurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree! I started exercising again after a long break. Start with walking, then increase as you feel your endurance and stamina increase. As the walking starts to feel easier and easier increase your speed. Pretty soon you'll be running again!!:smile:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I live in Alaska and it's too cold...most of the time to run outside (well, for me, there are those who go at it dispite the cold.) Also, I was worried about being overweight and the consequences that would have on my joints. My solution is to pull out my little trampoline and jog on it in front of my favorite tv show while the kids are napping. It's much easier on the joints, my mind is engaged elsewhere, and if I start huffing and puffing, I switch from jogging to lightly bouncing. A heart rate monitor would help enormously, but I haven't gotten one yet.