Calling all Nurses!

Options
How do you all stay away from all the cookies/candy/cakes/CRAP your patients bring in for you? I do ok at home staying within my calorie limits, then I go to work, and it all goes to hell in a handbag. I'm an RN and I work 12's in a hospital. I'd love to hear how other nurses make it all work.

Replies

• kady11
    kady11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    hahaha. honest to got, my patient family member brought me warm homemade cookies. a WHOLE ziplock bag of it! I took a bite for respect and took the rest in the breakroom. I am also an RN in icu. it is not easy to say kno( the scale wasnt happy w me either this week .lol!

kady
  • moxi155
    moxi155 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good question....I eat and eat....and then work out on my break like a crazy girl! Sometimes I work out after my 12 hour shift....I know...crazy, but I enjoy the sweets!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    hehe nurses murses
  • bmahal
    bmahal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also an RN and work 12 hour night shifts. Sometimes it is very hard to fight the urge to eat because I am tired. There is also lots of temptation. I try to avoid going to certain area where I know there is commonly snack food/junk out for people to eat. If I don't see the food I am not as tempted to eat it. I also make a point of taking the stairs and sometimes if I have time will run up and down them on my way to do something just to burn a few extra calories. Lately I have been making sure I bring healthy snacks with me so I have something easy to grab when I get hungry.
  • ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good question....I eat and eat....and then work out on my break like a crazy girl! Sometimes I work out after my 12 hour shift....I know...crazy, but I enjoy the sweets!

You work out AFTER your shift? You go girl! All I want to think about after my shift is my warm cozy bed :)
  • moxi155
    Options
    Hmmm....I dont know how to get this to respond!
  • moxi155
    Options
    QUOTE:

You work out AFTER your shift? You go girl! All I want to think about after my shift is my warm cozy bed :)

Hmmm....yes....I have been considered a bit crazy at times with exercise. I just really enjoy the workout and I really really enjoy the food. How many people can say they have eaten tons of chocolate, cake, cheesecake, ice cream and wonderful other foods and still lose weight? I exercise and stay healthy because I enjoy eating! I don't miss out on anything and I have lost almost 42 pounds now. I love MFP...it has helped me set personal goals and keeps me on point!
  • moxi155
    Options

Sorry about all the crazy quotes...I think i figured it out now!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Well, almost fortunately for me, I work nights, even when I come in at 7pm most times all of the treats are gone from the day shift! But avoiding the 24hr dunkin donuts downstairs can be trouble! I make sure to bring lots of healthy snacks with me so I don't feel very hungry, and then every morning when I get home from work I go for a run before I pass out for the day!
  • shortjules
    shortjules Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How do you all stay away from all the cookies/candy/cakes/CRAP your patients bring in for you? I do ok at home staying within my calorie limits, then I go to work, and it all goes to hell in a handbag. I'm an RN and I work 12's in a hospital. I'd love to hear how other nurses make it all work.

I am also a nurse working in a long-term and rehab facility. Families are constantly bringing us food and other goodies. I also have one resident who actually has her husband keep a candy jar stocked for us. It's always tempting because she wants you to have something numerous times a day. Here's what I do; every once in a while I give in a take 1 small bite size chocolate. It's enough to get you past the craving. Just be in control because most of the time you're not hungy, you either just want to be nice or because almost everyone has a sweet tooth and it's hard to pass it up.