Attention Emergency Response Personnel Bashers!

Options

Replies

• prettyash76
    Options
    Thanks! Also, please add social workers. Low paid, but responsible for going into many dangerous situations daily. Even in people's houses
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How about that police officer that handcuffed me and refused to believe I was being abused? I had marks and still he didn't believe it. He threatened to bring me to JAIL because I passed out on him because of my medical condition. Those are some of the types we have working for us. I'm sorry but I don't like your post.

Hmm did you depend on EMS to help you?

Seriously, I don't understand people at all. I see things working EMS in peoples houses that makes me scared for my kids and am grateful that there are people who understand it's a tough job. The police and firefighters in the county I work are right there with us(providing a safer environment so we can save lives).

They give up holidays, go without sleep, and when disasters happen, are away from their families for days helping people for little pay.

So if you don't 'like' her post, I'd say-don't feel like you need to reply.
  • I am an ER nurse and many of my coworkers are former medics. My job also frequently deals with police officers as well. I am very grateful for the people who work in the field serving our community! Thanks for all you do!!!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother to lodge a complaint. Half the police officers in the area are like that. Doesn't matter anymore. He was only there based on lies someone spread about me. So I got slapped in handcuffs. Great day that one was. Not.

Aha! And therein lies his justification. I reckon the scenario went a little bit like this:

1. Someone phones the Police and lies saying you've committed an offence
    2. Officer arrives at your home to investigate/arrest you and tells you of the allegation.
    3. You freak out and go totally nuts (with good reason)
    4. Police officer has had this happen to him before and ended up getting put in hospital, so slaps some cuffs on to protect you both whilst he attempts to calm you down.
    5. You continue to freak out and protest your innocence and show him marks you have on your body from that lying scumbag who has just made a false allegation about you.
    6. You pass out legitimately and the officer thinks you're faking it, because the last 99 people who did that WERE faking it.
    7. Both of you brand each other as complete and utter losers.

OR, he was just an a**eshole who shouted at you and treated you like dirt from the minute you opened the door to him.

The first priority would be protecting themselves and anyone involved in the situation. So if someone becomes loud and obnoxious then if controlling the situation involves slapping handcuffs on a person then that is what has to happen. The fact that you didn't file a complaint means there is more to the story.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I get that people have had bad experiences with the law. BUT WHY WAS THE POLICE CALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE. I'm sorry but if someone had to call 911 or if you got pulled over clearly there is more to the story than what you are saying.

I see stories all the time of betrayal or corruption, but guess what people that is not just the law that is corruption it’s the people.
    The men and women who decide to put their LIFE on the line every day for us should have some more respect. Yes, that one officer may have been a jerk but what about the MANY others who serve and protect us daily.
    Let’s see who you call when you get into a fatal car accident or someone robs your home.
    Bashing one and calling them all the same is ignorant.

Thank you to all the men and women who are police/firefighter/emt/military you deserve the thanks and praise.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't get why some people treat cops like Gods. Yes, sometimes they put themselves in danger to keep us safe, but it's a job they chose to do and they are put on more equal ground by having authority and weapons (vs an average citizen who isn't equipped for danger most of the time). Everybody's job is important and needed and can be dangerous....my job may not be dangerous but lots of people's mutual fund investments would be screwed if I didn't do my job. My husband who plows snow in the winter isn't called a hero but he sometimes works 24 hours straight to help keep your butt from getting stuck in the snow or sliding off the freeway.

I've never had a real "bad" experience with a cop, but many I've seen are arrogant SOB's who think they are gods. They think they deserve free stuff because they're cops, um why? They can park anywhere (even if doing personal errands) and I cannot stand the holier than thou act when giving tickets. Yes if I was speeding and got caught, I deserve the ticket, but don't act all high and mighty when most every cop speeds way more than the average citizen (in non-emergency situations) turns on their lights to go through intersections, never use their turn signal and barely breaks for a stop sign. How can I have any respect for someone whose job it is to uphold the law, but doesn't respect the law themsevles?

Last spring I was running a 10K and there were cops at the intersections....most of them looked so bored, as if they were too important to be sitting at intersections for a race. But this one cop was really into it...cheering, motivating people, telling us runners we were doing a great job. This guy lifted my spirits so much I wanted to go give him a hug. I'm all for praising people who deserve it, and I try not to condemn an entire group of people for a few bad ones, but I also don't like praising an entire group of people because of their job title. They're human beings doing a job they are paid to do just like everyone else.
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a volunteer firefighter and a police officer to be. I am also a police officer to be and someday hopefully a federal agent. Most of them are very good people who are there to keep the streets safe and serve justice.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't get why some people treat cops like Gods. Yes, sometimes they put themselves in danger to keep us safe, but it's a job they chose to do and they are put on more equal ground by having authority and weapons (vs an average citizen who isn't equipped for danger most of the time). Everybody's job is important and needed and can be dangerous....my job may not be dangerous but lots of people's mutual fund investments would be screwed if I didn't do my job. My husband who plows snow in the winter isn't called a hero but he sometimes works 24 hours straight to help keep your butt from getting stuck in the snow or sliding off the freeway.

I've never had a real "bad" experience with a cop, but many I've seen are arrogant SOB's who think they are gods. They think they deserve free stuff because they're cops, um why? They can park anywhere (even if doing personal errands) and I cannot stand the holier than thou act when giving tickets. Yes if I was speeding and got caught, I deserve the ticket, but don't act all high and mighty when most every cop speeds way more than the average citizen (in non-emergency situations) turns on their lights to go through intersections, never use their turn signal and barely breaks for a stop sign. How can I have any respect for someone whose job it is to uphold the law, but doesn't respect the law themsevles?

Last spring I was running a 10K and there were cops at the intersections....most of them looked so bored, as if they were too important to be sitting at intersections for a race. But this one cop was really into it...cheering, motivating people, telling us runners we were doing a great job. This guy lifted my spirits so much I wanted to go give him a hug. I'm all for praising people who deserve it, and I try not to condemn an entire group of people for a few bad ones, but I also don't like praising an entire group of people because of their job title. They're human beings doing a job they are paid to do just like everyone else.

The police may be armed in the US but in Ireland and England we're unarmed. We're expected to tackle people armed with knives or guns with nothing more than a baton. :flowerforyou:
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    One of my oldest friends didn't know what he wanted to be after he finished college. So he became an EMT, then a paramedic, then a firefighter -and- a paramedic. When he first started, he'd call me with these gruesome stories. I know how hard it was for him to desensitize himself to some of what they have to see every day. And last month, a 24-year-old firefighter he worked with died responding to a call. There are crappy people everywhere, but kudos to public servants. I know I couldn't and wouldn't want to do their job. I couldn't deal with what they deal with, especially with the preconceived attitudes a lot of people have toward them. Some of them risk their lives every day, some deal with life and death situations, all of them put themselves out there in ways most don't.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    How about that police officer that handcuffed me and refused to believe I was being abused? I had marks and still he didn't believe it. He threatened to bring me to JAIL because I passed out on him because of my medical condition. Those are some of the types we have working for us. I'm sorry but I don't like your post.

I'm sure he had his reasons which he justified, if not, he would now be out of a job as I'm sure you lodged a complaint, did you not?

Or perhaps this Officer WAS a complete jerk who shouldn't be in the job. Does that mean that the rest of Police officers and Emergency Services personnel cannot be commended in this post?

This is true. That would be like saying, "I found a rotten apple. Therefore, all apples are rotten and I will never eat them." Logic doesn't compute...
    Bingo.

Thank you, Cops, Firefighters, EMS, Soldiers, all of you. :) Even if a person once knew a firefighter who was a jerk, I'm going to go ahead and apply common sense to the situation here, and thank you for your service in protecting our lives.

To respond to a couple of other posts without quoting, I actually do like praising the group just because of the job they do. That's kind of the point. They choose to do a job that is great personal risk to them, to protect us.
    Yes, I loved my jobs, I did a great job and worked hard at writing and negotiating contracts, but it never once risked my personal safety, so yes, I'm going to thank them, and I think it's silly not to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Working at a Wellness Center now, I get to see the medical end (rehab) of many who suffered accidents and/or strokes/heart attacks. They may not be there today if not for EMT's and EMS. Thanks again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree, we should thank emergency response personnel more often. In fact, I'd say we should go a step further and establish a closer relationship with our local agencies. I think the biggest problems between public safety workers and citizens is that there is little to no positive communication. At least where I live.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As a former Police Officer and current Firefighter/EMT/Arson Investigator- I thank you guys for your appreciation and I also thank those on here serving in their respecitve fields around the world.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :-)

no buddy, thank you!
    agreed!! thank you :)
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    That police officer that you called a jerk for writing you a ticket, just spent 3 hours on the scene of a wreck where a drunk driver killed a family of four. Those firefighters that you're pissed at for shutting down the road, just pulled a grandfather out of a burning house. Those paramedics and EMT's that you think are driving too fast, are doing CPR on a two year old that didn't make it. They work hurt, sick, hungry, and tired. They are continuously asked to do more with less and they do it with a smile on their face. Why? Because they love what they do but most importantly, because they care. Think about that before you bash your public safety members. They are here for you and never once ask for a thank you.
    So to all the Police Officers, EMTs, Firefighters and ER Personnel, THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:

Neat post. My husband is a full-time EMT in one city and a part-time firefighter/EMT in another. I hear all kinds (and I mean, ALL kinds) of stories every other day. I always enjoy it when he starts a conversation with "So, get this!" because I know it will be an interesting story.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to hear all of these thankful comments. Thanks, emergency folks.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I agree, we should thank emergency response personnel more often. In fact, I'd say we should go a step further and establish a closer relationship with our local agencies. I think the biggest problems between public safety workers and citizens is that there is little to no positive communication. At least where I live.

Try living in Stockton, CA. We're at our record high for 187's this year....I can't thank my guys enough for doing what they do with such limited resources. Our mayor's solution: keep your porch light on.
    She's an idiot.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It is so unfortunate that some have had negative encounters with law enforcement. Yes, there are bad ppl everywhere but we must make a point to make these ppl aware of thru the proper channels. The majority of officers are great ppl who are doing a job and putting their life on the line daily for their communities. We as citizens need to be proactive and support our Public Safety personnel to combat having "bad" cops etc in place. You have a voice, use it! but in the proper way! Go to your local representatives and make your concerns known!!!!

bwahahahahhahahahhahah

yea, good luck with that
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    No large and diverse group of people is perfect. But on their worst day they are putting their lives on the line to help others. People they don't even know. You can't respect that enough.