PMS, hunger and addiction

Options
Hi guys!

I have two quick questions for you, hoping I'll find some answers!

1- Is is normal to be really really hungry when you're in PMS? But I mean even by eating more than your daily intake of calories?

2- Do you have a trick when it comes to addiction to sugar, especially chocolate? When I try not to eat some, I can last a few days and then I just can't resist and I need my milk chocolate fix. Any ideas to conquer my addiction?

Thank :)

Replies

• mpdes
    mpdes Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi guys!

1- Is is normal to be really really hungry when you're in PMS? But I mean even by eating more than your daily intake of calories?

2- Do you have a trick when it comes to addiction to sugar, especially chocolate? When I try not to eat some, I can last a few days and then I just can't resist and I need my milk chocolate fix. Any ideas to conquer my addiction?

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

For me, YES.
    I cannot get full when PMSing.
    I try not to stress it, eat as moderately as possible, and workout more.
  • JayEllAre
    Options
    As far as I know being more hungry during PMS is completely normal.
    As for the addiction to sugar, try using splenda as a substitute... works for me. I drink green tea with splenda and it fills me up and has no calories. :)
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat! I also get really hungry and can't seem to stop eating when I'm PMSing. It's ok though, for that week I just stock up with a lot of fruit and veggies, then I eat those with a little peanut butter. It seems to help, at least I'm not gorging myself on ice cream, cheese, chips, etc. like I used to. :grumble:

Regarding the chocolate addiction. I feel you on that one!
    I tried to stop eating it, but then after a few days I just can't take it anymore and I binge on chocolate.
    So I've come to the conclusion that when I want chocolate, I can only have 1 a day, and I have to put away half for the next day. It's been working for me. This way I don't have to deny myself my favorite chocolate, but instead of eating a whole bar, I save half for the next day.

This is probably not the fastest way to loose weight, but it's been working for me...

103332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    -Yes I think thats normal, I am always hungry around that time of the month..

-I have found (for me atleast) when I cut something out of my diet completly I will fail. If you crave chocolate, go have a piece of chocolate, but you need to limit yourself to just one or two pieces, not the whole bag! and if you have to, work it into your daily calories (i.e. eat a little less at dinner, or exercise a little more that day!)
  • banfathi99
    banfathi99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Apparently when you are PMSing you can actually have a physiological need for 100 to 500 more calories, which can be the equivalent to a full meal.

I give up on limiting chocolate and plan it in once a week.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Dont deprive yourself perhaps just account for 1-2 of those mini's during your TOM....its not bad to eat things ..it only becomes a problem when in excess
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    yes !I know its coming and I plan for it. I find if I have something sugary I crave more so I make my own homemade hot chocoate with stevia and its very satisfying. I probably have hot cocoa for a week or so in the evenings before my TOM and it really helps.

I also let myself have extra cals and I rest more with long hot baths etc..I see it as a time to slow down and pray and meditate and relax..its a cycle, its time to rest and rejuvinate( at least thats how I see it ) you are not alone in this. I dont believe in fighting it so plan for it. Try a few things till you find something you can live with :flowerforyou: