Using HRMs...

Options
Right, so people switch these on as soon as they enter the work out area (right before getting onto a machine) then pause it inbetween equipment/classes OR...do you stop it when you go to the changing rooms?!

Replies

• ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i usually switch mine on as soon as i get on the first machine. i dont really pause it when i switch machines though i probably should. after my workout, sometimes i walk home which will take about 15 minutes and other days i jump on a bus. if i am walking home i keep the hrm on until i get home and count the walking calories as well. if i am taking the bus i switch it off when i get to the bus stop.
  • ackeebee
    Options
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I stop mine when my heart rate gets back to normal after I finish. What it was before I started the exercise. I figure while my heart rate is still up, why not get credit for the calories that are still burning.

I wouldn't pause it unless you're going for time instead of calorie burn. You'll still be burning calories with an elevated heart rate between machines.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    I stop mine when my heart rate gets back to normal after I finish. What it was before I started the exercise. I figure while my heart rate is still up, why not get credit for the calories that are still burning.

lol, i have never really looked at it this way but that is a great idea
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Yup, I log the time as when I've stopped, but log the burn as what it reads when I get into the changing room...I'm still pounding out an elevated HR, and it takes the HRM a minute or two to catch up :)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Well - I use mine while I'm out riding my bike, and it's tied into a GPS location recording system, so I actually switch it on a short way from where I live, outside the local police officers house. That way, if someone looks online, sees that I ride a nice bike, and where I ride it from and to, and decides to break into the the house to get it, he finds the local fuzz ready to greet him :laugh:
  • ackeebee
    Options
    Well - I use mine while I'm out riding my bike, and it's tied into a GPS location recording system, so I actually switch it on a short way from where I live, outside the local police officers house. That way, if someone looks online, sees that I ride a nice bike, and where I ride it from and to, and decides to break into the the house to get it, he finds the local fuzz ready to greet him :laugh:

lol, as funny as this is, i dont think you have answered the question being asked.
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I set mine going as soon as I start exercising and stop it after my cooldown stretch - definitely want to get credit for all the calories I'm burning! When I'm at the gym I keep it going and I log it in my diary as 'Gym workout' and then, if I want to, I'll add in the notes what I actually did at the gym (machines, weights, ab exercises, etc).
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options

lol, as funny as this is, i dont think you have answered the question being asked.

it does, kind of - I don't switch the HRM on until I start riding properly - i.e. After I've called at the local police officer's house. It then stays on for the entire duration of my ride, although it's set up to switch itself into pause mode when I'm not moving - i.e. stuckat traffic lights etc. and back on as I move away. If I'm on a long enough ride to merit a "Cafe stop after a couple of hours, then again, i'll switch off the HRM and GPS. I'm only interested in the energy I expend on the bike.

If I WAS a gym-user (god forbid!!) then I think I'd hit the pause button between sessions/machines - just walking around/standing between sessions should be accounted for in your normal calories from MFP, I'd say...
  • heather_elise85
    heather_elise85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it would matter what you do.. you are still burning lots of calories in between the short time you are switching machines.. but I start mine as soon as I start working out and pause it because I have a 2 year old and I often have to run to her and help with something for up to 5 min then its back to working out. At the end of the workout .. I end it.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, that's great! :)