Cheat days broke my plateau!

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Now, I can't wait to hit a plateau!!! Never thought I'd be sooo excited!
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Trainers at my gym encourage me to do this. I've even heard them plan their cheat meals!! From what they've said it should only be once a week.

My opinion - make it count. If I know I'm heading out for dinner with the girls on weekend it makes it much easier to say no to the biscuits in the staffroom. I try to plan my cheat meals.

I also prefer to call them Treat Meals - cos psychologically a cheat is a negative thing, which for me would lead to guilt. A treat is a positive thing - I've worked hard so I deserve it - no guilt.

i too work best with positive labels like treat days! i have also found this to be true to break plateus, but even on a treat day i try to not go TOO over the count (never over 400 extra), but rather have bread and butter within my count. it feels so much a treat that i am satisfied.
    i think this time my loss program is working because i let the positive reinforcements outweigh any guilt. guilt never works for me. i WILL be having chocolate on Christmas day! YAY! .....good forum. really true! Marry Holidays everyone!
  • i will definatly have to try this, i have lost and gained the same 200grams for 9 weeks.

im working out hard, having high calorie burns and am always within my calorie goal and the weight just wont budge....

i am going to try a free/treat day/meal.

How many calories over my daily goal would you recommend??? (obviously i'll still be logging )
  • knato3
    knato3 Posts: 13
    Trainers at my gym encourage me to do this. I've even heard them plan their cheat meals!! From what they've said it should only be once a week.

My opinion - make it count. If I know I'm heading out for dinner with the girls on weekend it makes it much easier to say no to the biscuits in the staffroom. I try to plan my cheat meals.

I also prefer to call them Treat Meals - cos psychologically a cheat is a negative thing, which for me would lead to guilt. A treat is a positive thing - I've worked hard so I deserve it - no guilt.

i too work best with positive labels like treat days! i have also found this to be true to break plateus, but even on a treat day i try to not go TOO over the count (never over 400 extra), but rather have bread and butter within my count. it feels so much a treat that i am satisfied.
    i think this time my loss program is working because i let the positive reinforcements outweigh any guilt. guilt never works for me. i WILL be having chocolate on Christmas day! YAY! .....good forum. really true! Marry Holidays everyone!

Yay!! I'm not the only one hefting a side serve of guilt through life!!

PS. Just to eliminate any extra guilt - Treat Meals are allowed to be more than some bread and butter :wink:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I wonder if this will work after christmas dinner....
    Im banking on it working :)
    To be honest... that's kind of how I work week-in, week-out.

I watch what I eat and I exercise regularly, but there are days when I way go over my calorie target and I accept that that's part or normal life. It would be really boring if we ate the same calories every day without any variation.

I'm really looking forward to Xmas as I always do, but I'm not going to get hung up on what I'm eating or how many 1000 Calories it contains... it's Xmas !!!! :drinker:
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Wow..I gained 2 pounds!!!
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    I have a question for everyone who this worked for! Did you happen to gain weight the next day or couple days after your huge cheat meal then lose that plus more? Cuz I had a cheat day on Saturday and I'm still up a lb and a half this morning! How long did it take for you to lose those lbs (if gained) plus more???
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    I have done this and expected to see a weight gain on the scale the next day but remained the same. I have had weight loss by this also.
  • I have a question for everyone who this worked for! Did you happen to gain weight the next day or couple days after your huge cheat meal then lose that plus more? Cuz I had a cheat day on Saturday and I'm still up a lb and a half this morning! How long did it take for you to lose those lbs (if gained) plus more???

I had my day off on Saturday, was up by about 2lbs on Sunday, up 1lb yesterday, and down 0.5 lbs today. I cut carbs (to approx 50g or a little less) and upped the healthy proteins like nuts, seeds, yoghurt, cheese and lean meats. Do a good bit of exercise, I do circuits, cardio, strength and abs, and drink plenty of fluids.

Works every time.
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    I broke a plateau by upping my cals a little bit and I completely changed my exercise routine - and bam, suddenly my weight was going down again. :)
  • To explain why it happens: There is a hormone called Leptin, which is responsible for fat burning (besides other things). Eating on a calorie deficit for a longer period of time decreses Leptin levels. Increasing your calories for a day or so brings leptin levels back to normal. Simples :D

This is true. In addition it is essential to eat a diet free from sugary foods and drinks because this stimulates the over production of insulin which in turn creates Leptin resistance in the body. For more details on Leptin read this http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-facts-on-leptin-faq
  • This explains so much!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    :laugh: a few weeks ago, we went out of town for my husbands birthday weekend, and even tho i logged all my food, i went over everything sooo badly..the next day i weighed in, and i only gained point 2 lbs
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    YES! Me, too! It's a little weird that whenever I go over a few days in a row, I lose a pound. I haven't figured that one out yet.
  • i like!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    This is completely fascinating to me. I didn't read all of the comments, but does someone know what the science behind it is? Is it basically just breaking the routine of eating the same calorie range? So it kickstarts your body back into working on getting rid of the extra calories consumed on those gorge/cheat days?
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    I've no idea why or how it works, but it does. Magically.

Perhaps it has something to do with shocking your body out of what it's expecting in terms of consumption. Who knows?

I only hope my metabolism is as forgiving when it comes to my trip down South in Christmas! :)
  • healthybones
    healthybones Posts: 29 Member
    Haha! I love when that happens. I was plateauing in February, went on a 4 day cruise in early March & ended up LOSING weight than rather gaining weight like most.
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member

I really like that: "treat meals". Makes me feel so good inside : )
  • It depends, when this first started happening to me it would go up, stay like that for few days, then drop right below, once it didnt drop as much, but over the course of a few days it did.
    But just recently the drop has ALWAYS been further than the gain.

Today I lost 0.8lb compared to yesterday, so I am very happy with how being persistant through these things really pans out.
    Weight loss really does seem to be about shocking your body, not letting it get comfortable with itself. If you eat less, eat more, then less. If you exercise constantly, give yourself a few days break and start again. Change from cardio to weights etc

It just keeps reminding me that this is a game of patience and self control :)