Calories Burned - Daily Goal Question

Options
Pardon the stupidity - but according to MFP my calories burned each day is 1580. My goal is 1200 calories. Just say I work out and burn 500 calories. This would give me 1700 calories to eat. If i did this every day, wouldn't I gain weight instead of losing weight because I would be going over my daily calorie burned amount? Am I reading this wrong? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Pardon the stupidity - but according to MFP my calories burned each day is 1580. My goal is 1200 calories. Just say I work out and burn 500 calories. This would give me 1700 calories to eat. If i did this every day, wouldn't I gain weight instead of losing weight because I would be going over my daily calorie burned amount? Am I reading this wrong? Thanks for the help.
  • KatieBelofi22
    Options
    i have no clue, but i was just wondering the same thing!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Your workout calories are in addition to your normal calories burned each day. If you normally burn 1580, then workout to burn an additional 500, you actually burned 2080 calories that day. If you eat 1700, you're still under by 380, and should lose weight at the same rate as if you didn't work out and ate 1200.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Please check out the help section at the top of the page, as well as any "newbie" info, it will help answer any questions you might have.
    Go to all topics, then choose the general section. :smile: