sea salt any better for you than reg. salt?

Options
13»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Sorry to say, but "organic" does not mean the same as "not processed." As long as the food is processed using organic techniques and certified organic chemicals, it can be certified organic.

Just like "organic" doesn't mean "pesticide free," it just means they used organic pesticides.

Thanks for posting this. It's annoying that people are such brand-driven slaves to marketing. I tried explaining to someone how their "organic" soup includes MSG and I could see blood vessels popping in their head...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

He is right. In theory, sea salt is supposed to be better for you bc its all natural and things that are all natural are processed by your body much more easily and efficiently. Unfortuneatly, unless it says organic, theres a good chance its been bleached & processed (like he said). When something is labeled "organic" it is official bc it has to be passed by the FDA to have that labal. Things that say "all natural" don't have to be passed by the FDA and can get away with calling it that when its really processed.

Hope that makes sense!

The FDA has little / nothing to do with the "organic" label. That is a USDA standard. The USDA take over of the standard has completely undermined the organic food industry, by the way.

Also, saying that "natural" food is digested more efficiently than processed food is based entirely misinformation and an emotional attachment to what you wish to believe is true. Firstly, that statement is so broad that it is entirely meaningless. Secondly, I'm not aware of any evidence to support the claim.

I like natural food, mostly because I know precisely what I'm getting. There are fewer degrees of separation (farm to table), etc

But it isn't helpful to endow it with magical qualities that are based purely on imagination.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I definitely use less sea salt than reg. salt. So, that's a good thing.....
    Thanks for all the info.

Angie
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good post Angie :-)

I use sea salt that has a variety of minerals in it and it tastes better than table salt. I also use electrolyte replacement tablets when I do endurance rides as I lose a lot of salt when I do workouts and actually need to replace the minerals I have lost thru' sweating. Sodium is not bad in itself, just a high level of sodium has negative effects on our veins and arteries causing hardening. If we eat whole foods rather than processed foods then it is difficult to eat too much sodium. In fact I have to add sodium to my diet as I am usually under recommended amounts.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    If we eat whole foods rather than processed foods then it is difficult to eat too much sodium. In fact I have to add sodium to my diet as I am usually under recommended amounts.

I like the way you put that. It makes it clear without using advertising buzz words.

Whole foods = an apple, a tomato, a leg of lamb

Processed foods that are high in sodium = "organic" mac and cheese in a package, many "organic" soups, "organic" frozen burritos

Checking the labels is always important. Many organic foods are not whole foods, and have lots of added salt and sugar.