Side of effects of eating low carb- 3 months

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    What science would that be? My study of human evolution has lead me to the conclusion that we aren't really designed to eat meat at all. The brain explosion that is seen in the fossil record is thought to occur when we introduced starchy foods like yams to the human diet. Not meat.

I'll try to dig up some of the studies to post, but the fact that not a single human society on earth has ever survived on vegetarian diet alone based on anthropological evidence, but plenty to show a standard hunter/gatherer diet for millions of years consisted of plants and animals, and basically no grains until a few thousand years ago makes me believe that meat is a very important factor in human diet. Not to mention that nearly all the vital vitamins, hormones and nutrients that humans REQUIRE to live are FAT SOLUABLE. The fact that it's well documented that our closest relatives in the primate world, Chimps, actively hunt, kill and eat meat (typically monkeys).

Also this compelling video (a must watch for anyone I think) showing how a hunter gatherer diet rich in meat and (perish the thought!) organ meats from animals has reversed and practically cured a respected doctor of her worst outward symptoms of MS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Also as a former Olympic marathoner and professional runner, I think everyone could do some good reading what Mark Sisson has to say:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz1gS9YEwgl

I do believe that we are splitting hairs a bit, I also enjoy foods that are slightly on the starchy spectrum like sweet potatoes, it's the refined grains and processed junk that Americans in particular are conditioned to eat that cause trouble more than anything. Nobody will ever be able to convince me though that a good side of grass fed beef is not as good a fuel source for endurance, strength and health than nothing but vegtables.

Another good example from my own life is my own sister. She had been vegetarian for about 10 years and then vegan for another 5 or so. She could never understand why and how she got fat (well over 260lbs) as a vegetarian and eating so "healthy". Her health and well being declined further when she went vegan, often complaining of stomach distress, lethargy, poor sleep, weight gain, bloating, etc, etc. She recently went Paleo/Low Carb and immediately within months lost 50lbs and everything in her health (backed up by typical health markers, blood work, etc) have improved. I'm sold and I know I feel way better eating low carb than I do any other way, and let's face it....it really is tastier too ; )
  • dragonssoftballmom
    Options
    Great info!
  • yummummum
    Options
    I vary the amount of carbs I eat every day bc I don't obsess over them really any more. I high day would be 80 and a low day would be 25. I would say on average I do around 40 a day.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I want to try this but I think I'm a hopeless carb addict.
    Do the cravings eventually go away?
    I'm trying the Zone (40/30/30) diet, but I can never get enough protein. Do you drink protein meal replacements?
  • yummummum
    Options
    Craving went away completely. It is almost odd to me, I used to have HUGE cravings! It took me a 2 weeks to really level off, no longer have "withdrawal".

I really try to eat natural, clean, whole foods so I don't really do meal replacements that often. I do on occasion slug down a Jay Robb Protein whey shake after a workout.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've been eating low carb for several months now; my favorite side effect is typically I don't have to count calories as I naturally eat less, and also NO water weight gain during that time of the month! I didn't believe it at first, but after three straight months of no gain I finally accepted it. Very awesome :smile:
  • musdoit2
    musdoit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have lost 48 lbs on Low Carb eating aprox 20 carbs or less... I can keep it pretty low as I am not a big fan of veggies.. My favorite side effect is the energy I have and how my aching joints have completely disappeared!! I love the low carb Woe and will stick to it FOREVER!!!!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    “Your grandmother knew that potatoes and bread were fattening. We all knew it, until modern nutrition told us otherwise.” ~ Al Sears, M.D., author of “The Doctor’s Heart Cure.”

Just because your grandmother believes something doesn't mean it's true. My gran used to think all Germans were bad people and that women shouldn't be allowed to become doctors.
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    I don't subscribe to the whole "low carb" diet - I tried it, it made me ill, very ill. I do however subscribe to Jason Vale's school of thought in that you should focus on whole and non-processed foods. He has some great theories and a magnificent way of brainwashing you as you read his book "Slim for Life: Freedom from the Diet Trap".

There are probably a few things in there that people would disagree with, but I found that after reading his book I knew damn well what to eat and what not to eat. I now steer clear of anything that's white (sugar, white bread, white pasta, potatoes, etc - the latter less so) and steer towards natural products which haven't been messed with e.g. veg, fuit, meat. Jason also says that dairy is a big no-no and goes on to explain how we become lactose intolerant from around 3-4 years onwards. I'll buy that; my throat goes all mucousy if I drink milk, and sometimes does the same when I have cheese - so that personal evidence definitely supports his theory. I do however use it occassionally in cooking and on cereals in order to get calcium - bit of a conflict there, but hey ho.

I know some may not like Vale due to his "gung ho, look at me, I used to be fat, now I'm skinny and I'm going to preach preach preach to you!" approach, but his book really does give you a good grounding into what you should and shouldn't eat. It's a good start for anyone looking to lose weight and if you're not already a nutritional guru, then it's worth a read.

Me.... well every day I have my porridge (processed food-naughty!!!), then imgaine what my Neanderthal brothers would be doing today. Are they fishing, or are they out hunting a big wild piece of meat?! One things for sure, there's a huge stash of berries and fruit that NEED to be eaten before it goes off.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What science would that be? My study of human evolution has lead me to the conclusion that we aren't really designed to eat meat at all. The brain explosion that is seen in the fossil record is thought to occur when we introduced starchy foods like yams to the human diet. Not meat.

I'll try to dig up some of the studies to post, but the fact that not a single human society on earth has ever survived on vegetarian diet alone based on anthropological evidence, but plenty to show a standard hunter/gatherer diet for millions of years consisted of plants and animals, and basically no grains until a few thousand years ago makes me believe that meat is a very important factor in human diet. Not to mention that nearly all the vital vitamins, hormones and nutrients that humans REQUIRE to live are FAT SOLUABLE. The fact that it's well documented that our closest relatives in the primate world, Chimps, actively hunt, kill and eat meat (typically monkeys).

Also this compelling video (a must watch for anyone I think) showing how a hunter gatherer diet rich in meat and (perish the thought!) organ meats from animals has reversed and practically cured a respected doctor of her worst outward symptoms of MS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Also as a former Olympic marathoner and professional runner, I think everyone could do some good reading what Mark Sisson has to say:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz1gS9YEwgl

I do believe that we are splitting hairs a bit, I also enjoy foods that are slightly on the starchy spectrum like sweet potatoes, it's the refined grains and processed junk that Americans in particular are conditioned to eat that cause trouble more than anything. Nobody will ever be able to convince me though that a good side of grass fed beef is not as good a fuel source for endurance, strength and health than nothing but vegtables.

Another good example from my own life is my own sister. She had been vegetarian for about 10 years and then vegan for another 5 or so. She could never understand why and how she got fat (well over 260lbs) as a vegetarian and eating so "healthy". Her health and well being declined further when she went vegan, often complaining of stomach distress, lethargy, poor sleep, weight gain, bloating, etc, etc. She recently went Paleo/Low Carb and immediately within months lost 50lbs and everything in her health (backed up by typical health markers, blood work, etc) have improved. I'm sold and I know I feel way better eating low carb than I do any other way, and let's face it....it really is tastier too ; )

There is evidence both ways on the hunter gatherer thing. It is likely humans started off as scavengers, eating meat from already dead animals, and meat was very much a rarity, rather than an everyday staple. I think meat is fine in small amounts (though I morally disapprove of that, so don't do it myself), but most people in the west eat it every day, which isn't what we are designed for. The fact that we cannot produce our own vitamin C, which is a character trait only shared by fruitarian species, suggests to me that we are designed to have the majority of our diet come from fruits. Also we have teeth much closer to herbivores than carnivores or even fellow omnivores. Most omnivorous species digest meat better raw - we don't. I have a wealth of other evidence from when I was at uni, but it's all in my parent's attic somewhere I can't get to today.

On your sister, well that is just circumstantial evidence. My younger sister and I have both been strictly vegetarian since childhood, and we are both almost uncannily healthy. When I was pregnant both times, my midwives had to double check all my stats as she had never seen anyone with absolutely textbook levels of everything. Every time I have had blood tests, it is always noted that my results are "perfect", so as far as I am concerned there is no personal evidence I should be eating meat. Or not eating oats.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    wow !!! :smile:
  • Marll
    Options
    “Your grandmother knew that potatoes and bread were fattening. We all knew it, until modern nutrition told us otherwise.” ~ Al Sears, M.D., author of “The Doctor’s Heart Cure.”

Just because your grandmother believes something doesn't mean it's true. My gran used to think all Germans were bad people and that women shouldn't be allowed to become doctors.

That's not the same thing as what Dr. Sears is talking about in that quote and I'm sure you are well aware of it. :) You talk to anyone that is of an older generation (my grandmother is in her 90s now) and they have much more common sense about how to eat, and it works well.
  • Marll
    Options
    There is evidence both ways on the hunter gatherer thing. It is likely humans started off as scavengers, eating meat from already dead animals, and meat was very much a rarity, rather than an everyday staple. I think meat is fine in small amounts (though I morally disapprove of that, so don't do it myself), but most people in the west eat it every day, which isn't what we are designed for. The fact that we cannot produce our own vitamin C, which is a character trait only shared by fruitarian species, suggests to me that we are designed to have the majority of our diet come from fruits. Also we have teeth much closer to herbivores than carnivores or even fellow omnivores. Most omnivorous species digest meat better raw - we don't. I have a wealth of other evidence from when I was at uni, but it's all in my parent's attic somewhere I can't get to today.

I think that the fruititarian angle is one of complete and utter nonsense for those that actually adhere to strict fruit only diet. There are plenty of vegtables that provide vitamin c, and were more likely consumed by our ancestors. Fruit in itself is not a bad thing at all, fruit is great, but as the main staple of a diet, I think you are looking for trouble down the line. Taking the vitamin c angle is a bit narrow sighted too, considering that there are plenty of other vitamins missing from a primarily fruit or vegetarian diet, and especially vegans are known to supplement more than other groups.

The Health Promotion Program at Columbia University reports that a fruitarian diet can cause deficiencies in calcium, protein, iron, zinc, vitamin D, most B vitamins (especially B12), and essential fatty acids. Not shockingly the best sources for all of these vitamins are animals, and in fact other than sunlight the only way to get vitamin d is by eating animals and their by-products.

Furthermore according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health "natural food sources of vitamin B12 are limited to foods that come from animals." Raw vegans and fruititarians who do not consume B12-fortified foods (certain plant milks and breakfast cereals, for example), fruitarians may need to include a B12 supplement in their diet or risk vitamin B12 deficiency. So just to get a very important vitamin, these groups need to supplement? Sounds a bit deficient in more than just vitamins to me.

And as a parent I'd have concerns about children eating to strictly on a vegan/fruititatrian diet, and even vegitarian without supplementation (which in my mind again proves an overall deficiency in the plan to begin with). In children, growth and development may be at risk. Some nutritionists state that children should not follow a fruitarian diet. Nutritional problems include severe protein-energy malnutrition, anemia and deficiencies including proteins, iron, calcium, essential fatty acids, raw fibre and a wide range of vitamins and minerals. Several children have died as the result of being fed fruitarian diets. As a result, children have been taken from parents feeding them fruitarian diets. There have been many cases here in the United States of infants and young children DYING when fed vegan diets, and with this country generally viewing vegitarianism as "healthy" I don't think this is a crusade to demonize the way of eating, but just cold hard facts...

On your sister, well that is just circumstantial evidence. My younger sister and I have both been strictly vegetarian since childhood, and we are both almost uncannily healthy. When I was pregnant both times, my midwives had to double check all my stats as she had never seen anyone with absolutely textbook levels of everything. Every time I have had blood tests, it is always noted that my results are "perfect", so as far as I am concerned there is no personal evidence I should be eating meat. Or not eating oats.

So I provide what you call circumstantial evidence, and you come back with your own circumstantial evidence? All I know is that she was a good little vegitarian/vegan, working strictly within the tennants of the way of eating and she got fatter and more unhealthy by the year. Her son also has improved since going Paleo, appearing to reverse some developmental and learning difficulties and curing "ADHD" within a few short months.
  • Divabonita88
    Divabonita88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yummummum
    Options
    It kinda makes me laugh that any low carb thread turns into a debate! No one really asked for your opinion on low carb! Just letting you know what my side effects were for the past three months!

Feeling SASSY ::laugh:
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It was also a low calorie diet :)

Edit: That wasn't meant as a dig btw. If low carbs work for you and you're not sick because of it, awesome. I just suspect that most low carb diets work because the person accidentally has a calorie deficit.

I wish diet and nutrition wasn't like religion! There are so many camps and they all say that all other camps are wrong.
  • Ljohnverrell
    Options
    I really appreciate this thread! Just started a bread, gluten free diet today and joined MFP yesterday. I'm mostly getting my carbs from fruits, veggies and OJ for the next couple of months to see how that works for me. Thanks for sharing your low carb benefits!
  • Marll
    Options
    It always turns into a debate because some people love to nitpick or bash it. Bottom line is that you are loosing the weight you want and feeling better, so that's all that matters.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Bump