Swim or workout in gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the amount you burn when swimming.
    Are you a disciplined swimmer doing laps in a set routine? If so, then it matters less, if not, then hit the gym too.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    i workout in the gym only! i wont go swimming untill my legs are slimmer because all the lifeguards that work at the swimming pool are all my friends i dont want them to see my legs wobble walking from changing rooms to pool!! its daft i know! theres people bigger than me that go in the pool, but i really havent got the confidence to walk around with a cossie on.
    I understand what you mean though. My pool is at a gym and I don't know ANYONE there but I am STILL self conscience about it. I hate changing there and getting in / out of the pool. BUT, I have to overcome that in order to get some exercise in.. :)
    I felt like that when I first went to the pool, but I knew I had to get back into the water and start swimming for my health and weightloss.

I know it's daunting and even more so than the gym, you are totally exposed and it's worse for us blokes in shorts.

But once you're in the water, you are free, liberated, supported and the pool is your oyster!

Swimming - I can't recommend it enough :happy:
  • swimmerkoopman
    Options
    Hi, I've been a 5 day a week swimmer since last August and I can't say I've lost alot of weight in that time. Just 10 lbs. But I beat my A1C and Trigs into the ground. So for me it's a good thing. :smile:

The one thing I notice and my little bit of research supports that duration is key for swimming at a moderate pace. Using some of the online calculators, I burn around 10 calories per minute swiming a moderate freestyle. So I have extended my swims to get more calories burned. I also mix up long slow swim days and short high intensity days and some drills to keep up the variety and progress on swimming skill, too.