Knowledgeable about laptop spec's for graphic design?

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
I want to learn about graphic design and web page development. I am getting a laptop for my birhtday and know nothing about the spec's to look for to support Photo Shop and other graphics tools.

Any information about spec's or resources to check out would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Frost
    Options
    I want to learn about graphic design and web page development. I am getting a laptop for my birhtday and know nothing about the spec's to look for to support Photo Shop and other graphics tools.

Any information about spec's or resources to check out would be greatly appreciated!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I'm not good with computers, but my friend, who uses photoshop all the time says:

2.0 Gigahertz duo-processor
    2-4 Gig Ram (4 is better)
    Good Graphics Card
    Big Hard Drive
    Good Monitor

Hope this helps a little!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I recently had to buy a new laptop and got a dell. The dell website can guide you through your needs and I called them several times and always got a helpful voice

I once called and asked the lady where she was...sounded like she was in a busy restaurant and she was in India cooking for her family and happened to be a computer expert hired by dell to handle calls like mine....too funny
  • Frost
    Options
    I recently had to buy a new laptop and got a dell. The dell website can guide you through your needs and I called them several times and always got a helpful voice

I once called and asked the lady where she was...sounded like she was in a busy restaurant and she was in India cooking for her family and happened to be a computer expert hired by dell to handle calls like mine....too funny

No way! That is really funny. I did some outsourcing work for a company where customers called me at home. I got a call one night just as I was about to check the meatloaf. I got the phone and went back to the kitchen just in time to see the meatloaf go up in flames. :laugh: The smoke alarm went off and the guy was like what is that noise. I told him and he laughed but didn't break with the conversation so he went on talking while I extinguished the meatloaf and took care of the smoke alram.
  • Frost
    Options
    I'm not good with computers, but my friend, who uses photoshop all the time says:

2.0 Gigahertz duo-processor
    2-4 Gig Ram (4 is better)
    Good Graphics Card
    Big Hard Drive
    Good Monitor

Hope this helps a little!

That helps tons! Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ahh, lets see, I'm a 15 year veteran of the computer industry, 10 years as a senior network analyst and a whole heck of a lot of time with server hardware. In other words, I know my stuff with computers.

Biggest things you need with a graphics rendering machine are a quad core processor and a lot of RAM (Should be DDR3 or better if you can get it, 4 gig is good more is better)

if it's available, get a Windows XP Pro machine (IMPORTANT) 64 bit version. 64 bit is FAR faster at rendering graphics then 32 bit.

Apple is good for graphics too, but it's very specialized, be wary of that, you can (and will in my experience) run into compatibility issues eventually if you use an apple.

The bigger the screen the better. for a laptop, an 18.4 inch screen is best, but 15+ inch is "acceptable"
    also look for WXSGA if you can get it, that's the best "type" of screen out there, if you can't get that, then SXGA is ok.

Oh, and graphics cards don't really come into play all that much with graphics, believe it or not, graphics cards are more important for video, but not straight graphics. I mean, get the best one you can afford, but don't worry about getting a top of the line, 500 dollar model, you won't see a difference when rendering static graphics. Graphics cards are about polygons per second, which if it's a fixed image, isn't an issue.

Ahh, big hard drive is nice (hard drive should be 7200 rpms don't settle for a 5400 rpm drive, it WILL slow you down).

I know this all sounds confusing, but any decent computer shop will know EXACTLY what this all means.
    There's one out there called an ACER Aspire AS8930 that's pretty Hot, also the Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q725 is a very slick machine.

Look them up at Newegg.com, they offer great prices on stuff.
  • Catherine10
    Catherine10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My daughter took a One Year Colleges Graphic Design. She has been working as a graphic designer for 5 years. She is on my friends list.
    Her User Name is Ren25