No Pain, No Gain??!

Options
I started weight training.

At first, I would be stiff for two days after squats/dead lifts/bench press/military press/lunges/etc

Even though I am increasing reps and weight, I have stopped being sore the day after!

Yes, some slight burning right after the lift, but not the next day.

So I've mixed it up with some circuit training, a la cross fit style.

I was definitely panting on the floor like a maniacal dog after the workout, but stlll no soreness today.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Am I doing something wrong? I am pushing myself so that I can do the last rep, just barely (involves a crazy face and grunting and a spotter), but it seems weird that I am not getting sore. I've only been weight training for 2.5 weeks, so it seems like my muscles would still hurt like a mofo after ratcheting up the intensity and weights at the gym.

Any insight?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be sore the next day from a good workout. Your muscles are adapting to stress so DOMS may not happen much. But change it up in 2 months and do something different.
    Don't worry too much about soreness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be sore the next day from a good workout. Your muscles are adapting to stress so DOMS may not happen much. But change it up in 2 months and do something different.

IDEA Fitness member

yay! thanks!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I agree with this, except the "do something different" part.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Even though I am increasing reps and weight,

Keep doing this. If/when this stops, then perhaps something needs to change somewhere.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    agreed with the above posters. your arms and legs don't have to feel like jelly for two days after a work out to know you're getting a work out in.

every week or so i increase the weight i'm doing, or the reps if its body weights. if i'm doing a circuit, i go for time. and if i can get three circuits in without feeling really tired, i know i have to change it next time.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... the loss of soreness usually caused me to quit in the past. Just keep working at it and judge your progress by your gains. Don't worry about soreness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options

I agree with this, except the "do something different" part.
    I'll elaborate. Add weight, increase reps, change the exercise, decrease rest time. Those are what I meant by different.

IDEA Fitness member
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone who replied to this.