How much do you trust the BMI

Options
I currently hit a 24.7 which puts me in a healthy weight range. But I was just wondering what everyone elses thought of the scale was?

Replies

• Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't trust it at all.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think it's basically crap.
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    Well anything that would count a bodybuilder as obese must be crap! But I guess it can be useful for some people. I try not to put too much stock into it. If you really need a statistic to hang on to use bodyfat percentage but really my goals all have to do with how I look in the mirror :)
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it's basically crap.

^ This.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You're better off measuring body fat and overall health.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap for a lot of people.

Athletes with super low body fat and lots of muscle can be considered obese according to their BMI because, although it does give a range to account for some difference in frame size, it doesn't take into account body fat %, lean muscle mass, etc.

According to my BMI, I'm at the top of the "healthy" range - around 24; however, I have not been overweight for at least 15-20 pounds (according to my doctor).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's crap.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The BMI stole my wallet
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't trust it at all. It doesn't take into account muscle mass which sucks. Honestly I don't trust the scale much either LOL
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The BMI stole my wallet
    No, that was me.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    If you have Breasts and A Behind... don't trust it... :laugh:
  • rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    I think it's useful for most of the general population (in other words, not bodybuilders, just average people) as a blunt tool for measuring health. A very rough estimate, if you will.
    Body fat % is obviously better, but I think BMI is okay as long as you don't put too much stock in it.
    My BMI at the moment is 26.9, in the low end of overweight. I think this is a point or two high because I have a fair amount of muscle.
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I think it is a good target for people that aren't sure where their weight loss or fitness goals should be. That's not to say that I think it's a reasonable goal for everyone. It can be useful to start internal conversations for people that don't have any other information, and are just starting out.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Once I hit my goal BF (18%), I'll still be 10 lb over the "healthy range" for BMI.

I learned in my Epidemiology of Obesity class, that BMI is best for population level comparison, but NOT for the individual diagnostics.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i thought the BMI was widely accepted as a good measuring tool. Of course, it's only one of several tools.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my doctor about it and he said he thought it was a bunch of crap as well. He was explaining that it doesn't take into the equation of a persons body type. I was concerned because the bmi was telling me I was obese and he said he would not put me at that level. He said I could use to lose some weight, overweight but not obese. I'm 5'7 and was 198 at the time of the conversation. So no I wouldn't put a lot into BM.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've posted this a few times, and I have a feeling the nobody actually reads it, but I'll try again.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439&sc=fb&cc=fp
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I think when you first start this process its a good indication of how low you can safely go (cuz lets face it, there are some people that have unrealistic, unhealthy goals of 100lbs when they are 5' 10' for example) BUT once you get close to where your range should be you need to re-evaluate and start going off of body fat percentage and stuff like that. If you are building muscle then BMI does nothing for you.

To clarify: Don't totally base your loss off of it.
  • getthinspiration
    Options
    i trust it to a certain extent. i mean if you see like megan fox her bmi is really low, and she looks super skinny, basically unhealthy right?
    my bmi fits me, but if you are gaining tons of muscle then i wouldnt trust your bmi
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I think when you first start this process its a good indication of how low you can safely go (cuz lets face it, there are some people that have unrealistic, unhealthy goals of 100lbs when they are 5' 10' for example) BUT once you get close to where your range should be you need to re-evaluate and start going off of body fat percentage and stuff like that. If you are building muscle then BMI does nothing for you.
    I agree with this. I definitely don't think it's "crap" for the average person, it can be a helpful tool.