Smoothies and Shakes

Options
rosalee87
rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
I've been craving smoothies/shakes these past couple of weeks and I wanted to know if anyone has an recipes for a low cal smoothie and shake - I've tried making my own but they always suck and taste...off.

Thanks!

Replies

• Andreakarps
    Andreakarps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking the Dole Smoothies lately, they are a mix of fruit and yogurt and you just add juice and shake. They are in the frozen fruit section at the grocery store. They are 190 calories with the juice, they are pretty tasty, and pretty healthy i think.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Yoplait frozen smoothies and adding Chobani Greek yogurt to them in the blender (along with some milk).

And entire smoothie package + 1 Chobani + 2 1/2 cups milk makes a HUGE smoothie, so I split with my hubby and daughter (still makes 3 pretty darn big glasses and has tons of protein).
  • DONTE1989
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE GREAT IDEA : )
  • rosalee87
    Options
    both sound like a really good idea - I will def. try them; it really beats going to Jack in the Box for a strawberry mango smoothie - doesn't feel right :p
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie for breakfast almost every morning...

approx. 1 cup frozen strawberries, 3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 2 cups vanilla soy 'milk'.

delicious and simple :)
  • rosalee87
    Options
    what about an aloe vera shake; anyone know how to make one? I love aloe vera - I used to buy an aloe vera product from Herbalife - you'd put a little cap of the aloe juice in a glass of water and it was so awesome; it made the water taste so clean and fresh IDK lol
  • rosalee87
    Options
    Woops - Double Post.
  • Geer76
    Geer76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you like pumpkin, try a pumpkin spice smoothie.

1 cup pumpkin
    1 cup coconut or almond milk
    1/2 scoop whey protein mix
    cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
    handful of ice
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I make my own super green smoothie that taste delicious - makes 3 shakes

1/3 cup of frozen juice (I use apple mango)
    4 cups of water
    6 cups of fresh baby spinach
    1 cup of frozen mango
    1 cup of frozen pineapple
    1 cup of frozen peaches
    1 banana
    I usually add protein powder, raw nutrients, berry barley powder, flax seeds and fiber powder in mind (but that adds tons of calories so depends on how much you want to get out of it)
  • David8676
    David8676 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can make a simple strawberry banana smoothie. I make it once a week and it turns out really good and it's pretty healthy. Here's how I make it.

1. Throw 4 or 5 ice cubes into a blender and crush them a little bit. (If you are using frozen strawberries, u probably don't need much ice)

2. Throw 4 to 5 frozen strawberries (doesn't have to be frozen but too me tastes better), and 1 cup of Milk.. Blend till strawberries are kind of blended in and you get a thick pink liquid.

3. Add in 1/2 of a banana into the blender. Break it into pieces as it will help it blend better... Blend it together

4. Finally, add in 2 Tablespoons of honey and about another 1/2 cup to 1 cup of Milk.. And blend it all for about 30-40 secs.

Total Calories: Serves about 2..

Calories in about 1 cup full. Milk(about 100), Banana(About 30-40), Honey(about 50-60 cal), Strawberries (About 15-20)

So 1 cup will have about 225-250 Calories or so.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like the Jamba Juice Strawberry/Bannana/Yogurt smoothie - all you need is the bag and Apple Juice. I buy 0 sugar Apple Juice to make it even lower cal. All at the grocery store - Jamba Juice is in freezer section. The mango is also yummy, but I found the Raspberry had too many seeds.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I made one this morning -- a full apple, pealed orange, and a pear, a few handfuls of ice, my soy milk (although regular milk works too) -- my Ninja grinds it to a liquid in 30 seconds or so. I just made it up. Not sure if it's the best way, but it was good. It's probably best to remove the skin on the apple to make it more smooth but I prefer the extra fiber so I keep it on there. What do you do for you to say yours sucks? Just curious.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Never tried an aloe vera shake...but try this:

http://www.aloe-vera-guide.com/Aloe-Vera-Recipes.html

I also really like the Yoplait smoothies. You can use half the amount of the package if you are making it only for yourself.
  • rosalee87
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie for breakfast almost every morning...

approx. 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2-3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 2-2.5 cups vanilla soy milk.

delicious and simple :)

ah sounds yummy, I only drink unsweetened almond milk; I'm sure that would be fine too right? lol
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bumping. Some good ones here. Yesterday I just blended watermelon and diet 7up and some ice and it was excellent!
  • rosalee87
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE ALL SUPER AWESOME!
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie EVERY morning! :D

I just buy various frozen fruits from Wal Mart or Target. Pineapple, Cherries, Strawberries, Mixed Berries, Mango, etc...

I use 2 ice cubes
    1/2 cup of 2 different fruits
    And ABOUT 6 oz of OJ.

I blend all that in my Ninja personal cup and its about 12 oz of greatness. I used to put low fat yogurt in it too, but it doesn't really make that much of a difference in taste, so I leave it out now.
  • rosalee87
    Options
    I made one this morning -- a full apple, pealed orange, and a pear, a few handfuls of ice, my soy milk (although regular milk works too) -- my Ninja grinds it to a liquid in 30 seconds or so. I just made it up. Not sure if it's the best way, but it was good. It's probably best to remove the skin on the apple to make it more smooth but I prefer the extra fiber so I keep it on there. What do you do for you to say yours sucks? Just curious.

I don't know I think I was adding too much ice and I wasn't adding any milk to mine just very little yogurt. Boo. Failed. LOL
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I make my own every day for breakfast...I've been having them from years and I add more or less things depending on my calorie needs. I start with 1 cup (or a bit more if needed if the mix is too thick) of unsweetened Almond milk (60 cals per cup). I add cinnamon for flavor, a banana (for the nutrition and texture) and frozen fruit of my choosing -about a cup - (usually a summer mix - strawberries, melons, peaches, grapes, pineapple). Calories end up approx. 280 and I find it very filling. To add more flavor and nutrion to it, I sometimes add ground flaxseed or a few almonds (which add about 50 - 100 calories depending).

Hope this helps.