Recumbent Bike

Options
I just recently got a recumbent bike. I usually run but because of some hip problems I needed to add some more crosstraining. I was wondering if anyone else had one. I bike for 30 min and it reads that I have only burned 200 calories at the most. Just wanted to know if you think that sounds right. Tonight I rode 30 min and it was only 160 calories.

Replies

• Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I just recently got a recumbent bike. I usually run but because of some hip problems I needed to add some more crosstraining. I was wondering if anyone else had one. I bike for 30 min and it reads that I have only burned 200 calories at the most. Just wanted to know if you think that sounds right. Tonight I rode 30 min and it was only 160 calories.
  • amyalwaysonline6
    Options
    I have one, it depends on how fast you're going, but that sounds about right. My bike tells me I burn way more than my hrm says I burn.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Bummer, of course I was hoping it burned a couple thousand :laugh:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    That sounds right, my bike told me I burnt 400 calories in 30 minutes, but my HRM tells me I burn 300 and I REALLY have to ride to reach that many.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    That sounds right, my bike told me I burnt 400 calories in 30 minutes, but my HRM tells me I burn 300 and I REALLY have to ride to reach that many.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is what I seem to get on it too. I generally do the elliptical more when at the gym because you can get a really good calorie burn! Sometimes I put a little time in on the bike but find it takes a lot longer to even get 100 calories burned, which I do in like 8 minutes on the elliptical!
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is what I seem to get on it too. I generally do the elliptical more when at the gym because you can get a really good calorie burn! Sometimes I put a little time in on the bike but find it takes a lot longer to even get 100 calories burned, which I do in like 8 minutes on the elliptical!

That is a very good point tam (like your new pic btw) I like the upright stationary at my gym and find myself doing it more than anything. I am scared of the elliptical as I crash after 5 mins :laugh: guess I will work on that!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

That is a very good point tam (like your new pic btw) I like the upright stationary at my gym and find myself doing it more than anything. I am scared of the elliptical as I crash after 5 mins :laugh: guess I will work on that!
    It does take awhile to build up your endurance but it is possible!! I love that my gym has tvs on each machine...I zone out and watch something like The Doctors or The Today Show..and before I know it, I've burned 500 cals!! :laugh:

Just slowly do it. Keep going..and you will eventually feel one level getting easier. That is when you bump it up and keep your body working. :wink:

And thanks about my photo! I have been trying to get one where I don't look tired. I don't know if that is possible right now!! :laugh: This 1st trimester is kicking my butt!!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    We just bought a recumbant bike today. I'm excited to use it on these wet days when walking doesn't seem to happen.
  • Kimono
    Options
    I rode r. bike the other day and then jumped onto the treadmill. Wow you can really feel that in the legs!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If you do arms at the same time you will increase your calorie burn.

I love to test and experiment and did so the other day on the upright bike. I warmed up for 10 minutes and when I got in my zone (125-130) I maintained for 2 mintutes, then I started just lifting my arms in the air and down up and down my heart rate went up to 145 in no time and my highest was 165.

I was also told you use your core when you dont hold on and who doesn't want better abs!?
  • Georg
    Options
    Oh my goodness!
    Why is it that I can do circuit training for 30 minutes - no problem,
    walk 3-4mph for 30 minutes-an hour - no problem,
    but I can't do the bike for more than 5 minutes straight!?:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Kimono
    Options
    Using different muscles in different way.
  • Georg
    Options
    OK
    I've worked up to 20 whole minutes!
    How sad is that?!
    My legs are so sore, but I'm determined.
    :grumble:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! Anything new you try is better for your workout. I am trying to get up the nerve to use that stair climber machine. :flowerforyou: