How fast do you run??

Options

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm a penguin. But I'm ok with that.

I started running in January of this year. I'm just now getting above an average speed of 4.59 mph for 6.2 miles.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging high 9min and low 10mins with runs around 6-7miles. I started off at 14min miles :laugh:
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    10min mile
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My average pace is about 10:30 / mi for 8+ mi runs. Slightly faster for shorter runs, and slightly longer for longer runs (roughly 10-11 in range). When I go to races I push myself about :30 faster, so about 10:00/mi for 10k, and 10:30 for 1/2 marathons.

I'm not going to win any races, but I'm not going to be the last person across the line either. I think once I accepted that I was middle of the road I became a much happier runner. :)

One thing a lot of my friends say (and I could not agree with more), is that even if you are running 20 minute miles, you are still doing laps around the folks who didn't bother to get off the couch!

Stick to it, and you'll get faster and be able to run longer, and remember to have fun. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong (IMHO). :)

I think this is AWESOME advice and words of encouragement!

I, too, am starting C25K over again to increase my pace. I ended up having to mostly walk my first 5K and discovered just how slow I really was running, but now I feel comfortable amping it up! I have to keep telling myself that up until August I was doing no exercise, now, I run 3 days a week, so that in itself is an accomplishment. And like he said above, I am not out to win races, I just want to feel good about myself.

FYI: I have found that running on the treadmill is much easier than running outside so try to do a run outside when the weather permits!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started a year ago with C25K at 5mph, and ran my first 5k three months later at about 6.2mph. A month after that, I was averaging about 6.7mph, a 9 minute mile. My last 5k, in October, was just under 25 minutes, about an 8 minute mile. I've been trying to get faster since, and last week, ran a half mile at about 9mph, then slowed down to finish off the full mile in about 7 and a half minutes! I always run better outside than on a treadmill, and better during a race than by myself, so I can't wait until the spring racing season starts again to see what I can do. :smile: Most of the time, when I'm just jogging for fun, I'm around 6.5-6.7mph.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Last week I started giving it my all. I only have 30 minutes in the morning to run so my goal was to run about 4miles. I've gotten there a couple of times. The lowest being 3.81 and my highest 4.18 miles. So, my speed (past week) has varied between 7.6 - 8.3 mph. This morning my pace was a 7:13 minute mile.
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on C25K! Seriously... everyone is going to run at a different pace. It has many factors that play into that, stride length, cardio vasular fitness... and to be honest... how you run... some people are born sprinters others... trotters.

I can run at 10mph... but I can't sustain it.. but I can run at 6mph all day long. If you are looking to improve your time, find someone to train you. They should put you through routines that will improve your time.

Training isn't just 'lets run 3.2 miles' and see where it goes.... trainers will make you run intervals.. where you sprint for two minutes as hard as you can... walk for two minutes... rinse and repeat a billion times. Over time, you get used to running at a faster pace... again... I am not the master, but there are people who know how to get the speed into your run.

Good luck.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on C25K! Seriously... everyone is going to run at a different pace. It has many factors that play into that, stride length, cardio vasular fitness... and to be honest... how you run... some people are born sprinters others... trotters.

I can run at 10mph... but I can't sustain it.. but I can run at 6mph all day long. If you are looking to improve your time, find someone to train you. They should put you through routines that will improve your time.

Training isn't just 'lets run 3.2 miles' and see where it goes.... trainers will make you run intervals.. where you sprint for two minutes as hard as you can... walk for two minutes... rinse and repeat a billion times. Over time, you get used to running at a faster pace... again... I am not the master, but there are people who know how to get the speed into your run.

Good luck.

^^^ This is exactly how I went from running a 5mph 5K to running my current pace, only I used the C25K and B210 programs as my interval trainer.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I started running in January of this year. I'm just now getting above an average speed of 4.59 mph for 6.2 miles.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! I started running two years ago. I couldn't even get through half a mile at a 3.5 (running it) but slowly and surely I built up my endurance (I was training for half marathons). Around April this year I was up to 4 miles at a 4.5 (which is a 13ish min mile). Then over the summer I did C25K since I didn't really do that when I started two years ago. I started that at the 5.0 but that is because I knew that I could cover distance at a slower speed.

Ask yourself if you want to do short races or long races.... short will be faster and long will be slower. It is your personal choice.

p.s. there are plenty of race walker that get better times than me in the races I do, but I cross that finish line!!!!! (and I PR each time :wink:)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I want to do a whole 5K running, 5.2-5.5 If I want to just run 20 mins or so, 5.8-6.0 with random walking at 4.2

I started running about 1 yr ago at a 4.2 ---It's AMAZING that I can go 6.0 without holding on, or feeling like I'm going to take a nose dive off the back of the treadmill! hahah.
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I am a slow runner, and proud of it! Mostly because I am just simply running, and never thought I would/could :-) I jog at about 4mph, and do sprints up to 6.5mph. I have short legs, and honestly, to walk at 4mph is almost impossible for me. I have to break into a job, after a minute or so on the treadmill. It is more about endurance, then speed for me...so I am not so worried about how long it takes me to get there. Good luck!
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am slow! I mean people walk faster than I run. I had a knee injury that I rehabed for 3 months this summer and when I ran my first 5K this fall I RAN it in 36:00. I RAN a race Sunday night and was next to last in my age group...33:35. On the up side, next year I will be in the next age bracket and only need to improve by 30 seconds to come in first. :happy: Most races I enter with the goal of just running the entire way and not dying. I have been doing the Jeff Galloway's 5K and 10K training, I really like them and I know they have helped!

I have also heard that for every 5 lbs you shed your time will improve by a minute. Since I have yet to lose 5 lbs I can't confirm that's true.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I am right about the same pace as you and HATE that I am so slow but can't seem to get much faster. I did get just under 40 min at a 5K but that was totally pushing myself. I am with you though. I "ran" (no walking) my first 5K ever this summer (and my time was acually worse than my walk/run time) but I was SOOOO excited about running the full thing! I think you just gotta do (and be happy with) whatever progress you can get! :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K in July and I finished at 31:09

I did a 5K last week and I finished in 27 minutes. So, I'm not speedy at all but I have made a little improvement. I was focusing more on distance this summer and fall while I was able to run outside. I will be stuck inside Jan, Feb, Mar, and maybe April too depending on the weather and I'm planning to work on speed then b/c I (mentally) struggle to run longer distances inside.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My average is 9.5 minute miles. I'm working toward under 9. One thing that is really improving my speed is doing Fartleks about once a week after a run. I also am religious about taking rest days in between and eating lots of protein. In two months I've gone from just over 12 minute miles to the current 9.5.

Keep at it! You'll get there!

Of course, the Kenyans and Ethiopians have nothing to worry about from me...those marathon winners are FLYING! LOL!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Someone asked this on a forum the other day so I actually paid attention which I haven't really before. I think I've been going now for around 10 weeks now, so still quite new, I'm going a bit slower than I have been as have just moved from C25K to B210K and didn't want to run out of steam. When I do my treadmill run I'm doing a 5.5 walk and a 7 run (km). I knew I was slow but wanted to know how slow! I'm not bothered as everyone says it will improve with time - as your previous performance shows, you'll be back up there and some soon. The more important thing is to get round at a pace you can manage without getting injured, you (and I!) will get there in time with the speed.

Out of interest, will try and remember to time a 5k soon (well, maybe in new year haha) :-)

Good luck!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You will get there. 5mph may just be too fast for you @ this point and that's OK. One of the best pieces of advice I got starting out was just to go the distance, the speed will come later. They were right!

When you are ready to move on from C25K, there are tons of free training plans out there: I happen to like runnersworld.com. Target a race to enter, pick a plan for that race, train, then go run it!!

I'm still working toward a sub 28 min 5k (sub 9 min pace), 1:40 10 miler (sub 10 min pace), and 2:15 half marathon. I've come close on 2 of the 3...just not there yet w/the half marathon distance, but hopefully on March 17th I will put that to rest!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

That's a great name —

http://www.amazon.com/Marathoning-Mortals-John-Bingham/dp/1579547826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323804556&sr=8-1

One of the authors goes by that nickname!

This is a good intro book on marathoning. You can snag a used copy for $1.17, BTW.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You will get there. 5mph may just be too fast for you @ this point and that's OK. One of the best pieces of advice I got starting out was just to go the distance, the speed will come later. They were right!

When you are ready to move on from C25K, there are tons of free training plans out there: I happen to like runnersworld.com. Target a race to enter, pick a plan for that race, train, then go run it!!

Agree! I also love that site! I have it bookmarked on my desktop!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k on Labor day at a little under 9:00 mins/mile. It as too fast and I had inflamation in my knees for weeks after. I'm done with physical therapy now and I will try to slow down, but my legs like to go fast. I think 10 mins/mile will be a good pace for me.