IsoFlex why protein isolate

Options
So I've been taking the weight training aspect of working out a little more seriously now and to step it up a notch I've decided to start taking a protein supplement. I chose IsoFlex due to the fact that it has 90% pure protein in every serving as well as a whopping amount of BCAA in each serving (Isoleucine - 1674mg, leucine-2889mg and valine-1512mg)... I bought the vanilla flavour and it's not bad at all. I cant believe how low on carbs it is too! I already have enough carbs in my diet and although protein absorbtion relies a little on carbs, the last thing I need is too many. Has anyone used this brand before? If so, how did you find you liked it? Im not looking for anything crazy, I just want to burn more fat and build some solid muscle in the process.

Replies

• MattySparky
    Options
    So I've been taking the weight training aspect of working out a little more seriously now and to step it up a notch I've decided to start taking a protein supplement. I chose IsoFlex due to the fact that it has 90% pure protein in every serving as well as a whopping amount of BCAA in each serving (Isoleucine - 1674mg, leucine-2889mg and valine-1512mg)... I bought the vanilla flavour and it's not bad at all. I cant believe how low on carbs it is too! I already have enough carbs in my diet and although protein absorbtion relies a little on carbs, the last thing I need is too many. Has anyone used this brand before? If so, how did you find you liked it? Im not looking for anything crazy, I just want to burn more fat and build some solid muscle in the process.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've never used Isoflex, because I went with a whey protein that leans more towards what women need in a protein shake.

It was very low in carbs as well, but I mixed it with frozen strawberries or a frozen banana to adjust the carb ratio and also get 1 of my servings of fruit in.

Not sure how long you have been using it, but some of the protein shakes I've found cause super water retention. So make sure you are taking in enough water as well.

Good luck.

Weight training is my favorite part of working out.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Ah I was wondering about the water retention, wasn't sure how to deal with that. So you're saying if I keep taking in the regular amount of water that I would in a day I should be ok ? (keeping in mind I do cardio 7 days a week and weights 6 days a week).
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I would really back your weights down to 5 days a week and cardio to 6. You really need to give your body time to rest.

When you weight train you are tearing the muscle fibers and rest days is how the muscle is built.

With water retention---I had to quit using that original supplement. I felt like it was blowing my kidney's out with the fluid.

Here is a great site for info on IFBB and they have lots of tips. Understand that it is sponsored by Beverly International, so most of their meal plans include those supps, but they have great tips on workouts for men and women.

www.bodybuildingworld.com

Read some of their newsletters. I get like 1 a year in the mail, but they have some that go back a ways, they have really good workout tips in them.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I appreciate your concern about my muscles rebuilding, but I've looked into it for a long long time and I've decided on 6 days a week for the weights. I am alternating muscle groups every day so each group will get two days of rest before getting worked again with a full day of no weights every week to seal the deal. I do cardio 7 days a week because that's what Im comfortable with, I like exercising regularly and right now it's only running 25 minutes per day, nothing crazy. If the weight lifting becomes excessive then I would deff consider the 5 day cycle, but I dont know if it will ever get that way.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I heard that brand makes you have an uncontrollable desire to harm defenseless animals....
    just kidding,
    I use MRM Whey, has the bcaas only 2 g of carbs and 18 g of clean protein, no added sugar, tastes great mixes well
  • MattySparky
    Options

I heard that brand makes you have an uncontrollable desire to harm defenseless animals....
    just kidding,
    I use MRM Whey, has the bcaas only 2 g of carbs and 18 g of clean protein, no added sugar, tastes great mixes well

I was wondering why I've had the craziest craving for a dog burger??!! haha joking (my dog isn't impressed, she's giving me the look right now). Sounds good... it took me a while to pick out the stuff I bought... I was being really picky. It's got lots of bcaa, 0.5g of carbs and 27g of protein... I thought that was really good considering it's a 30g scoop per serving. I guess Ill know within a month or so if it works for me. I got vanilla flavour... I really wanted chocolate because, well it's chocolate... but a friend suggested vanilla because you can mix in other things and it tastes good. Have you used the protein supp for long Dave? Is it doing the trick?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

just kidding,

I was wondering why I've had the craziest craving for a dog burger??!! haha joking (my dog isn't impressed, she's giving me the look right now). Sounds good... it took me a while to pick out the stuff I bought... I was being really picky. It's got lots of bcaa, 0.5g of carbs and 27g of protein... I thought that was really good considering it's a 30g scoop per serving. I guess Ill know within a month or so if it works for me. I got vanilla flavour... I really wanted chocolate because, well it's chocolate... but a friend suggested vanilla because you can mix in other things and it tastes good. Have you used the protein supp for long Dave? Is it doing the trick?

ya,,big time...I try to eat as clean as possible but with the weights (also 6 days aweek) and staying a bit low on carbs I go with the protein supplement....getting good weight loss and also getting some more mass on the shoulders and legs... I started seeing results fairly quickly but I am workin it pretty hard...my energy is up but that is probably a combo of the entire diet, the cardio and the weights together...I do about 120 g of protein a day, 3-4 days then cut back a day or two to give the kidneys a rest ...DRINK TONS OF WATER BRO...flush it all along...it works