Emotional eating

Options
How do you curb emotional eating? or convince yourself to eat healthily when you don't feel like it when you're upset? I've been having issues with this lately.

Replies

• Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have kind have found misery works for me at first because I don't eat and I lose a lot (which in the end makes me happy lol a vicious cycle) and then weeks following I am muching on so many things mindlessly and right back to where I began.

Anyway I know it sounds cliche but I suggest (depending on the kind of emotional eating your succumbing to) going for a workout or run or something. I have started a boxing class lately and even on days I have no griped about anything, it just feels good to give a good punch to a bag or mitt.

Then after if you still feel like eating, at least you have burned some calories so it won't affect you as bad.

hope this helps
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I find I do tend to not want to eat at first because I'm upset, but then it does turn into me wanting to eat anything. I haven't managed to find anything that works as a distraction yet though.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i walk when im stressed or depressed. it took me a while to get into that habit, i had to PUSH myself to go. if i could have it my way , id recommend de-stress sex, but yah... no. if not i hit the bottle. tonight i had no walk and no sex, so its the beer for me :( oh well..
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Great topic...

Here is how I deal with emotional eating:

Recognize what triggers it. With me, it's when somebody owes me money, and they're late.
    I seethe with rage!

Know YOUR triggers.

When you do get the urge to eat when you're not hungry, find a comfort food that's healthy instead of junk food. And mix in the foods you like. The key is moderation, not elimination. Emotional eating is something that most people do when they're bored, happy, or sad. It might be a bag of chips or a steak, but whatever the food choice, learning how to control it and using moderation are key.

That works for me.
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I try to eat filling foods like fruit and oatmeal. I can't eat a ton of food at once without getting stomach pain (because of the high fibre content) so it serves as a physical deterrent :ohwell:

I try to stay away from the foods loaded in sugar, fat, and salt because they don't fill me up and make me want to keep eating.
  • anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to curb it, i just ate a brownie ( like half a pan ) :(
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a way to get rid of mine. I stress eat. Then feel like crap after. I know what sets it off but cant fix it. Oh well one day. :ohwell:
  • lovelyl0ve
    lovelyl0ve Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with it, but I've found the best thing for me is to go running. The endorphins put me in a better mood, it curbs my appetite, and makes me more inclined to eat something healthy, because I just worked so hard! And if I do still eat too much, it at least lessens the damage. Find some sort of exercise that works for you. :) (and yes, you do sometimes have to force yourself out, but eventually it becomes a habit, just keep on it)

Also, keep healthy snacks on hand. Pre-cut veggies (carrots and sugar-snap peas, yum!), fruit, yogurt, air-popped popcorn, etc. Healthy things you can just much and munch on. It helps a lot. If it's ready on hand with no preparation, it makes it much easier to go for that instead of something unhealthy.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with it, but I've found the best thing for me is to go running. The endorphins put me in a better mood, it curbs my appetite, and makes me more inclined to eat something healthy, because I just worked so hard! And if I do still eat too much, it at least lessens the damage. Find some sort of exercise that works for you. :) (and yes, you do sometimes have to force yourself out, but eventually it becomes a habit, just keep on it)

Also, keep healthy snacks on hand. Pre-cut veggies (carrots and sugar-snap peas, yum!), fruit, yogurt, air-popped popcorn, etc. Healthy things you can just much and munch on. It helps a lot. If it's ready on hand with no preparation, it makes it much easier to go for that instead of something unhealthy.

I wish I could get into running. It's hard in an area where the weather is so varied.