Soy products question

Options
I have a dairy allergy, so I eat soy products to replace dairy products. I average about 2-3 serving of soy products per day.

I also have a hypothyroid problem and am on synthroid. I just read an article about limiting the amount of soy products you eat if you have thyroid problems. The article didn't say how much is safe to eat.

Has anyone else heard this? Do you know anything more about it?

Thanks.

Cheryl

Replies

• Cherylann402
    Options
    I have a dairy allergy, so I eat soy products to replace dairy products. I average about 2-3 serving of soy products per day.

I also have a hypothyroid problem and am on synthroid. I just read an article about limiting the amount of soy products you eat if you have thyroid problems. The article didn't say how much is safe to eat.

Has anyone else heard this? Do you know anything more about it?

Thanks.

Cheryl
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing actually. My whole family has what is called hashimotos. So we all try to stay away from soy. But I am in the same boat as you are with dairy products. I can handle a few things but it is limited. I am not sure how limited you are with your dairy allergy.

I have found that I can handle evaporated milk without having a major side affect. I also have used rice and almond milk.

I found this recipe from a site that someone posted once. You might like it also.

Oatmilk

Ingredients:

1 cup of oat groats
    5 cups of water
    Directions:

Bring to a boil, then AS SOON AS IT STARTS BOILING, turn down to a simmer, and simmer for an hour. Take it off the stove immediately and pour through a sieve. Sometimes I eat the cooked groats for my evening carb, but not usually. (I haven't figured out yet how not to waste the cooked groats ...)

I usually double the recipe, and it makes a week's worth of oat milk for me.

I don't know any particulars but I hope these other options work for you.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI, guys should stay away from Soy products. They have phyto-estrogens in them and studies have shown that they reduce sperm count and can have other feminizing side effects (obviously small amounts are not going to be a big problem, but using a lot of them does)....sorta like icandoit's beer problem! (Too funny!)
    Cowboy