Scale not moving? Don't freak out - see photos

Options
I've seen a lot of my MFP friends discouraged because they don't feel like they are making progress, especially due to scale anxiety! Here is why you should NOT give up if you don't see the scale moving.

The following are photos of me from this year. I started strength training in August. I initially went to crossfit 3 times a week, then 4 and then at the end of October was up to 5 days a week. (As you can see, I saw results from going 3-4 days a week. I go 5 days a week because I love it! And I'm seeing even more results in my strength.) BUT if I let the scale measure my success, I might have felt like giving up.

Photo 1: August 146.4lbs
Photo 2: September ??lbs
Photo 3: November 150lbs
*Seriously - these first three photos show me gaining almost 5 lbs. It wasn't until the past three weeks I've seen the weight starting to drop. My hypothesis is this is because I was new to weight training.
Photo 4: December 144.5lbs

Screenshot2011-12-13at21427PM-1.png
*** I am 5' 5" for those who asked :)

If I let the scale measure my success, all I could do was say that I've lost a measly 1.9lbs since I started four months ago. The scale is only one tool of measurement you have.

Take photos. I seriously hardly felt like I made much progress month to month. Until I saw them lined up side by side.
Take measurements! (I haven't measured since August - I'll keep you posted.)

I have the following hanging on my refrigerator:
http://12most.com/2011/10/21/12-fundamental-habits-super-fit/ (Thanks runswithdogs)
I made a decision that these things would be me. And they are! Stay positive - no excuses - make good choices (and when you make poor ones, stop beating yourself up and get back on that horse!)

Why else have I seen success? Because I love the process just as much as the results! And it's a choice I make every single day.

You got this!

Edit 2: My food diary is wide open if you're interested. I'm eating around 1700-1900 calories a day - I've cut out processed foods from my diet except for occasional treats (one or two meals on the weekend - not the entire weekend - occasion beer with dinner). I eat fresh meat and produce for almost every meal. I pre-prepare food on the weekend. I make sure I ALWAYS have these foods in my home so I won't feel stuck (my boyfriend eats a lot of things I don't). My exercise days are not optional - despite working full time and going to grad school, I work my life around it :)

Replies

• Brendevi
    Options
    :heart: This is great thanks for posting it!
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    Wow you look fantastic! Grats! :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've started taking measurements and I just love watching them melt away. You look awesome!
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you! People (including myself at some times) rely on the scale numbers far too much, when we really should rely on the results we see in the mirror and how we feel. This is especially difficult for people with Body Dysmorphic Disorder or any eating disorder because the mirror image is mentally distorted. So I really recommend taking pictures at intervals like you did.

By the way, rockin body!! :D
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.
    You are dead on with not letting the scale tell you that you're not doing it right.
    You look amazing. :)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'd hang those progress pics on my fridge...you look great!
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    nice!!! and you look great!! random, i love that nike bra btw! lol
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!! You look fab! Thanks for adding that link too!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I've been reading up about getting into serious strength training and I think I'm finally ready to get started... you're an inspiration...
  • emyback68
    Options
    thank you! The link is great too! (And you look fantastic!)
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! How tall are you because you look really fit! :)
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. My husband and other people say they can see results with me, but I don't see them on the scale. Not seeing it on the scale does get frustrating.
  • handy05
    handy05 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement! Inspirational! You look great also! :drinker:
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! How tall are you because you look really fit! :)

Thanks! I'm 5' 5"
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    great post!!! and nice work. look great.
  • bizchic
    bizchic Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I'm trying to lose weight, but it's frustrating when the scale isn't moving much, even when I am losing inches.
    Out of curiosity, are you eating to maintain your weight, or are you still trying to lose weight?
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I'm trying to lose weight, but it's frustrating when the scale isn't moving much, even when I am losing inches.
    Out of curiosity, are you eating to maintain your weight, or are you still trying to lose weight?

I'm still eating to cut a bit more fat (as in off my body - not the macronutrient... I'm always over in fats haha). I really have no 'goal weight' in mind - because I have no clue what it will be. My goal is to get down to about 20% body fat. The downside is that this is tricky to measure accurately since the margin of error on my scale is so great! I actually want to have my abs showing - and the last place I always lose weight in my stomach, so it'll take some time. I have no problem with building a bit of muscle either (I know that takes a long time and this won't happen until I increase my cals!) - so yeah. Honestly I could care less whether the scale lands at 125 or 165! I just want to be super strong/fast/powerful/have endurance/all around fit and have a body that shows my strength :-P
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You look great! There is soooo much more improvement there than "a measly 1.9 lbs".
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic. Keep up the good work!