Best Skiing?

Options
scarletleavy
scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a ski question.

I'm planning a ski trip in early April and I'm looking into Colorado right now. Can anyone recommend some awesome places to ski, preferably within driving distance of Denver.

Thanks!

Replies

• sportsforfun
    Options
    Lot of great resorts up the I-70 corridor. If you are looking for touristy resorts, Breckenridge and Keystone are good resorts and reasonable drive time (~1.5 hrs from Denver). Vail has some amazing skiing but it is pretty expensive and a longer drive (~2 hrs from Denver), Copper and Winter Park (~1.5 hrs from Denver) are great resorts as well and are much less touristy than Breck and Key. Copper is definitely my favorite in the area as I have a season pass to Copper/WP/ and Steamboat.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've only been to Breck or 'the ridge' in CO. It was a great vacation and the conditions were perfect. Grooming of the parks and pipe were top notch and the double black runs were challenging! However, my best trip so far was to Whistler, BC...Words can't do that place justice..I had the time of my life.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've only been to Breck or 'the ridge' in CO. It was a great vacation and the conditions were perfect. Grooming of the parks and pipe were top notch and the double black runs were challenging! However, my best trip so far was to Whistler, BC...Words can't do that place justice..I had the time of my life.

Funny you should mention Whistler. That's actually on the list as well. It's really a choice between Colorado or Whistler. I just want some awesome skiing. I've been skiing since basically I could walk and I haven't skied in North America since I was a teenager, so I'm looking for a change from Switzerland.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Funny you should mention Whistler. That's actually on the list as well. It's really a choice between Colorado or Whistler. I just want some awesome skiing. I've been skiing since basically I could walk and I haven't skied in North America since I was a teenager, so I'm looking for a change from Switzerland.

So far, the snow hasn't been very good in Colorado. You might want to wait to see if conditions improve before deciding. :smile:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Come to Tahoe instead. Killer hills AND you can gamble.

:drinker:
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options

I'm telling you, if your on the fence about whistler I strongly suggest you take the plunge, you won't regret it. I was doing everything from hiking back-country glaciers and riding untouched bowls that seemed to never end, to rugged cliff and tree runs, to terrain parks with epic features. I get the hint you ski at an advanced level, you will be challenged and be given plenty of opportunities to test your skill at whistler. Not only is the resort a blast in its own, but the nightlife and ambiance of that whole area is something out of a book.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back, ever...I was there for a week and didn't come close to exploring everything it had to offer.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Whistler is definitely on my to-do list as well. Have heard it is amazing. Another great place is Salt Lake City. Both Alta and Snowbird have amazing terrain and the lightest snow you will ever see.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    ut08.jpg
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Steamboat Springs! Its the best powder! and its also close to Aspen and Vail so if you want to see one of those for a day you also can.
    Amazing skiing, less commercial, and longest runs in North America!
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    I live in Colorado so I have to boast about the skiing here! But, I must say, if you have a chance to go to Whistler DO IT!! AMAZING!

My faves are
    Breck, Keystone and Copper!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've been to Arapahoe and it's very nice. I'm a White Mountain ski girl myself and IMO nothing compares to Wildcat mountain!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Winter Park.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Steamboat Springs! Its the best powder! and its also close to Aspen and Vail so if you want to see one of those for a day you also can.
    Amazing skiing, less commercial, and longest runs in North America!

Best tree runs I have ever experienced. Go there a couple times a year. It is around 3 hrs from Denver though.
  • evil_rider
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to come one state further West and enjoy much better snow ;-)
  • evil_rider
    Options
    ut08.jpg

Like I said.............. ha.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i've never been to Colorado. but i was able to go to Park City in Utah once. And have never really enjoyed boarding locally since.
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    ut08.jpg

Utah does have the "greatest snow" AND unlike Colorado, the mountains are much easier to access from the city. You can stay at the resorts and ski or you can save money and stay in Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive a measly 20-30 minutes to the ski resort. Just sayin'.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    ut08.jpg
    Utah does have the "greatest snow" AND unlike Colorado, the mountains are much easier to access from the city. You can stay at the resorts and ski or you can save money and stay in Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive a measly 20-30 minutes to the ski resort. Just sayin'.
    OLYMPIC WORTHY SNOW!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I live in Denver and we are up most weekends skiing. Breck tends to be way crowded, A-Basin is a little more advanced (their greens can be viewed as easy blues...). Was just at Keystone on Saturday and they had just opened up some more terrain... Vail and Beaver Creek are further from the city but so worth it.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options