For Yoga Fans

Options
If you haven't tried yoga, now is the time! I am sixty-one and have been doing yoga for 13 months. It's the best thing I've every done for myself, physically and psychologically. If I had started yoga twenty years ago, I could have avoided both weight gain and depression. Yoga can have a spiritual component, but it is not necessary in order to enjoy the physical and emotional benefits of the practice. I strongly recommend going to a studio where there will be a supportive community, rather than trying it on your own or at the gym. Gym yoga classes are fine, but usually do not include individual attention and help, as studios do. Please post your own experiences with yoga so we can share!

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have been getting into yoga more myself cause I worked out too hard and strained my hips. It is fantastic for recovery, and I love the relaxation and spiritual elements of it as well.

They have started having lunchtime classes at work - I will do this today! I also do classes at my gym. It's a bit far to get to a proper yoga studio from my place though - I think the closest ones are about 5 suburbs away.

And king pidgeon pose is so therapeutic for my hips right now, I love it! Although it's still a bit tough for me, especially on the left hip.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've done some Yoga work outs here and there through out the years with videos and DVD's at home....they were ok but I never really got into it that much. Recently I started going to a studio for Yoga classes and I just LOVE it!! So beneficial spiritually and physically!! I have about 7 classes now and I'm hooked for life!!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    LOVE IT and can't say enough about the benefits from it.

I think alot of people are under the impression that it is just "stretching" and quiet time but I am here to say that there are some class like that but there are also classes that will work your tail off (literally).

I really enjoy my 90 minute restorative class but I love my hot power yoga class. I do yoga 4x per week and it has transformed my body and spirit (because that's an aspect I'm looking for). I can easily burn 550-700 calories per class and walk out feeling wonderful and like I got a kick *kitten* workout. My mind is clear and my body feels like I worked hard. I have defined biceps, and shoulders, a flat tummy, a shelf *kitten* (my husbands words - I choose to say it isn't sliding down my legs anymore), I have lose 2-3inches off my body with diet and yoga.

I have a treadmill, tons of weights and workout videos at my house but I chose to drive 20 minutes to take my yoga class. I came to the realization on Sunday that it is the best workout for me - I could have walked 45 steps and worked out but had no motivation but 4pm rolled around and off the couch I sprung and off to class I went.

For me, I also enjoy the spiritual aspect of it - slowing down and being present in my class has come out the doors with me. I am more present in every aspect of my life, I'm no longer on auto-pilot.

I highly recommend a book called "Meditation from the Mat" - I read it everyday so I can set an intention for the day.

Stay Bendy!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've practiced for 12 years now and taught for 5. I usually practice 5-6x a week, some in classes some at home. Yoga pretty much runs my life now.:laugh:
  • Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at trying out yoga as I can see the benefits and several folks I dance with are always talking about how it's done wonders for their posture, balance, etc. that has translated to their dance.

But, I am concerned with the ability to actually *do* some of the poses right now due to size/shape/whatever. Does anyone have recommendations about how to get started or where to look for modified poses for larger people?
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I've been looking at trying out yoga as I can see the benefits and several folks I dance with are always talking about how it's done wonders for their posture, balance, etc. that has translated to their dance.

But, I am concerned with the ability to actually *do* some of the poses right now due to size/shape/whatever. Does anyone have recommendations about how to get started or where to look for modified poses for larger people?

Everyone has their own challenges in yoga. Find a studio where the students are about your age or where you connect with one of the teachers. There are plenty of types of yoga, there's something for you.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I think that is the great thing about yoga - it's for all shapes, sizes and ages. It's not like anything else I've ever done before you are not competing with anyone in the room - it's all about you and what you can do that day. Some days are better then others - it's all about progress and learning about your body.

There are modifications for all poses and if you get a good instructor they will go over them with you.

A lot of studios will offer a free class for new clients or see if they have an Intro to yoga or beginners yoga class.
  • MattieJean21
    Options
    I started yoga a few years ago. We have an on and off again relationship. But when I did it every day I was incrediable flexible! Plus I felt super relaxed! I might just call my local instructor and start going back to classes :)
  • drussell5557
    Options
    As I said in my original post, I've only been doing this for 13 months now. It is challenging at first, but a good yoga instructor reminds the class EVERY TIME a difficult pose is prompted that everyone should always work at your own pace. He/she can give you alternate poses that will work the same muscles, but more gently. Also, a good yoga instructor will sometimes make "adjustments," i.e. gently help you attain a pose without stress or injury. This is one of the many reasons to go to a studio. Practicing at home can be dangerous unless you're experience. All it takes is 2-3 days a week to start.

I'm thrilled with the response to my post. Keep up the good work everyone!
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever did yoga was when my work offered morning classes for a discount. I liked it but had a little bit of trouble with anything that involved weight on my hands/wrists, but that has gotten better. Unfortunately the classes at my work are at times I can't attend, so I got The Biggest Loser Weight Loss yoga DVD and do that about 4 nights a week. I love it!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    The first time I ever did yoga was when my work offered morning classes for a discount. I liked it but had a little bit of trouble with anything that involved weight on my hands/wrists, but that has gotten better.

This is true for most people. Think of all the things you've done in your life where you put weight on your hands...I'm guessing not too many things involve this. It's like going upside down for the first time, it takes some getting used to.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga for 22 years and have been teaching it for 12 years. It has been so powerful in my life. It got me through having three kids, stress of teenagers and now just starting into my 50's. It is a journey that keeps growing and evolving always. I agree everyone should at least try it and if it's not your thing, then that's ok too!