knocked back by the gym

Options
ive been knocked back by the gym

i declared that i have painful joints (?rhumatoid arthritis) so they asked for a doctors note, i asked the doctor who said to tick the box on the form that the gym have asked for, one box! and he would declare me fit to excercise as it would help with my joint pain not hinder it. anyway the doctor wants £30 pound to tick that box, which i begrudge paying (yes i know cutting my nose off to spite my face!)

anyway i phoned the gym who said they wont allow me to use the gym without it

so i phoned th doctors back still no movement on the charge to sign the form, so i said you said if i lost 3 k on my own you would help me to loose weight, now they are hindering it?

dont know what to do the gym that said no were allowing me to train for half price with being a student, another gym who laughed at the fact i would need signing fit to train with painful joints, want double that plus a rather expensive joining fee too

i feel quite deflated.

Replies

• claireashby
    Options
    ive been knocked back by the gym

i declared that i have painful joints (?rhumatoid arthritis) so they asked for a doctors note, i asked the doctor who said to tick the box on the form that the gym have asked for, one box! and he would declare me fit to excercise as it would help with my joint pain not hinder it. anyway the doctor wants £30 pound to tick that box, which i begrudge paying (yes i know cutting my nose off to spite my face!)

anyway i phoned the gym who said they wont allow me to use the gym without it

so i phoned th doctors back still no movement on the charge to sign the form, so i said you said if i lost 3 k on my own you would help me to loose weight, now they are hindering it?

dont know what to do the gym that said no were allowing me to train for half price with being a student, another gym who laughed at the fact i would need signing fit to train with painful joints, want double that plus a rather expensive joining fee too

i feel quite deflated.
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Would you not just pay the £30 and get on with the gym? As it looks like you will save in the long run...
  • claireashby
    Options
    its just the idea of paying the doctor that to tick one box

anyway wahooo i have found another gym that i can go to without the docs note because they have physios on staff! and bonus my little boy can come with me so extra motivation!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    its just the idea of paying the doctor that to tick one box

anyway wahooo i have found another gym that i can go to without the docs note because they have physios on staff! and bonus my little boy can come with me so extra motivation!

That's fantastic :drinker:
    I wouldn't pay the £30 just to tick a box either, way to go girl :drinker:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That really surprises me that they would charge you for that! Are you are regular patient? I have dropped off sports physical and daycare forms to my children's pediatrician and they have filled out the forms for me without asking me to pay! Crazy!

Glad you found a gym that better suits your needs!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just go to a different gym. You don't need them to know you have joint issues, as long as YOU are aware of it, informed of how to work out with joint issues, and alert to the warning signs. Joint problems won't cause a heart attack or stroke in the gym, so the gym doesn't need to know, that's your business. Unless you are using a Personal Trainer, there is no reason for them to know you have an issue.

Course I don't know the laws in the UK (I'm assuming this is the UK) so maybe they require it there, but here, as long as an injury isn't life threatening, you don't have to report it under the medical privacy act.
  • claireashby
    Options
    Just go to a different gym. You don't need them to know you have joint issues, as long as YOU are aware of it, informed of how to work out with joint issues, and alert to the warning signs. Joint problems won't cause a heart attack or stroke in the gym, so the gym doesn't need to know, that's your business. Unless you are using a Personal Trainer, there is no reason for them to know you have an issue.

Course I don't know the laws in the UK (I'm assuming this is the UK) so maybe they require it there, but here, as long as an injury isn't life threatening, you don't have to report it under the medical privacy act.

i would have assumed the same if its not cardiac or stroke related i cant see the problem. although they did keep going on about insurance cover so maybe this is a litigation issue i dont know. but the new gym are setting me up with the physios and they are going to provide me a program around my needs so for an extra £10 a month i think i found the better option!

going at 5.30 to sign in, im quite excited!
    (and yep UK, so docs here are quite happy to inform me that my bmi is too high and offer me reductil which i dont want but not willing to allow me access to the gym without charging me for it, craziness!)
  • claireashby
    Options
    That really surprises me that they would charge you for that! Are you are regular patient? I have dropped off sports physical and daycare forms to my children's pediatrician and they have filled out the forms for me without asking me to pay! Crazy!

Glad you found a gym that better suits your needs!

yep usual doctor but as ticking the box is classed as private work then i will have to pay, i did ask if it were not better to waive the fee and sign the form rather than me become a frequent gp flyer due to my obesity but they didnt see the seriousness to my question only the flippancy with which i asked it.

and yep the other gym although further away from me is alot better, hopefully my hyperactive son will loose some of his energy too!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Tell the gym you were miraculously healed! :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I look at things this way. Whether you believe in God, the cosmos or just plain luck...........something out there kept you from joining the gym so you would find this great place with physios to TELL you how to make your body better!!

That is AWESOME!!!

forGET that other gym and celebrate the new find!!

Good luck:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: