POTASSIUM

Options
So, I have been trying to find a lot of my vitamins through food because I can't seem to tolerate multivitamins other than the gummy type, which aren't jammed packed with other than the essentials. My biggest problem was potassium, which my muscles really need or they cramp up. I'm supposed to have like over 3,000 and wasn't even reaching 100.

Well, I found it! V8 juice in 8 oz has 450. I use the Spicy V8 juice actually as an appetite suppressant between my regular meal times if I'm getting a hankering for snacking because it really fills me up, gives me energy, and the spice helps rev my metabolism. And now, I have POTASSIUM.

Sometimes it is so sad how happy the little things in life make me. :blushing:

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    So, I have been trying to find a lot of my vitamins through food because I can't seem to tolerate multivitamins other than the gummy type, which aren't jammed packed with other than the essentials. My biggest problem was potassium, which my muscles really need or they cramp up. I'm supposed to have like over 3,000 and wasn't even reaching 100.

Well, I found it! V8 juice in 8 oz has 450. I use the Spicy V8 juice actually as an appetite suppressant between my regular meal times if I'm getting a hankering for snacking because it really fills me up, gives me energy, and the spice helps rev my metabolism. And now, I have POTASSIUM.

Sometimes it is so sad how happy the little things in life make me. :blushing:

Thanks for listening.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you found something you enjoy that helps you get your potassium. As a nurse, though, I have to suggest drinking the reduced sodium V8. Regular V8 has 480 mg of sodium per 8 oz. glass, and if you are drinking several glasses per day you are getting a quarter of your sodium requirements for the day in those 2 glasses alone. Reduced sodium V8 only has 140 mg per serving, which is much better. High amounts of sodium in your diet can actually drop your blood potassium levels. Meats, orange juice, bananas, and potatoes are all high potassium foods. Do you eat any of these? I'm baffled thinking you aren't getting 100 mg a day, as a slice of bread alone has approximately 200 mg and an apple has 90 mg. Are you eating enough food throughout the day? You also didn't say if you were on any medications that can be causing the low potassium, either.

Hope this info helps! Not trying to rain on your parade! :smile:
  • iftcheiaf
    Options
    THANKS. I appreciate the information. Unfortunately, I'm a restricted diet due to some serious stomach issues. So I can't each a lot of starches as I then have a serious backup. I eat tons of vegetables, but have to go easy on the fruit as they also cause backup issues. But I was just thinking about the sodium after I read it. I'm going to do a little more research on it, but the low sodium is definitely a good idea. I can't possibly drink enough glasses of the V8 to meet the total requirement (I don't like it that much). I do drink a lot of water, which I think helps to balance a little bit of the salt intake, but I didn't realize that too much sodium can affect the potassium.

Thanks again. I do appreciate the info. "Knowledge is power!"
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome! I always wonder if I'm giving too much info sometimes and sounding preachy! But I'm really looking out for you! I'm glad the info helped!

As for the veggies, ones high in potassium are carrots, RAW cabbage, RAW cauliflower, RAW celery, RAW lettuce, RAW mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes. I understand about the V8--I like the spicy, too, but there's no way I could chug a bunch of it every day!
  • iftcheiaf
    Options
    You're very welcome! I always wonder if I'm giving too much info sometimes and sounding preachy! But I'm really looking out for you! I'm glad the info helped!

As for the veggies, ones high in potassium are carrots, RAW cabbage, RAW cauliflower, RAW celery, RAW lettuce, RAW mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes. I understand about the V8--I like the spicy, too, but there's no way I could chug a bunch of it every day!
    I knew it was too good to be true. But you can't be too preachy if you know what you're talking about.

I like all the vegetables you mentioned and will try and cut back on V8 and incorporate more of the raw ones in my diet. Laziness gets the better of me sometimes too. Also, less gas with V8 than cauliflower and cabbage. My poor family. Thanks again.