Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Using calories from Workout

Do you all use the calories you burn during your workouts?

Replies

• Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Not all the time, but sometimes I need to due to hunger or being out of town. If I exercise heavily on a particular day, I will use some of the activity calories earned to make sure my body continues to burn fat instead of lean muscle tissue.
  • Thanks!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    It depends....I usually eat at least half of them back but if I am hungrier that day I may eat most of them back.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Your MFP settings are ALREADY set for weight loss, so eat all your calories, including your exercise calories. For each pound per week to seek to lose, MFP factors in -500 calories, so again, your daily goal already takes weight loss into consideration.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Every last one. This machine is calibrated and well oiled :bigsmile:
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Lift like a beast so I can eat like one.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Your MFP settings are ALREADY set for weight loss, so eat all your calories, including your exercise calories. For each pound per week to seek to lose, MFP factors in -500 calories, so again, your daily goal already takes weight loss into consideration.

Every last one. The machine is calibrated and well oiled :bigsmile:

^^^THIS^^^
  • YES!!!! By all means!!!!! My weight loss was much slower (I actually plateau'ed for a month) when I wasn't eating them. My weight loss is MUCH better now that I eat ALL of them. You want to teach your body to burn, burn, burn...not to hold onto food. Starvation mode = the devil!!
  • I read somewhere that MFP already takes into account your workout goals and gives you calories for that. I am confused. What if you dont work out as planned..will you not lose?

Sorry guys just looking for some guidance! :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    I try to eat all minus 1 for every minute I worked out (because of BMR; I'm burning calories anyway. For example, if I work out for 30 minutes and my HRM says I burned 200 calories, I would eat back 170, minus the 30 that I burned for just being alive). It makes sense, I swear... I'm not quite sure how to explain it though!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I read somewhere that MFP already takes into account your workout goals and gives you calories for that. I am confused. What if you dont work out as planned..will you not lose?

Sorry guys just looking for some guidance! :)

It asks your workout goals, but as far as I can tell, it does nothing with this info. That doesn't affect your daily calories. Only your actual logged workouts affect your daily calorie target.

There is the potential that you are under or overestimating calories. And for that reason people make adjustments like only eating back a fraction of their exercise calories. It takes some trial and error to get everything dialed in, but it's so worth it. Once you are all dialed in, it's easy to steer your weight loss or weight gain as you see fit.
  • Thanks!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Just make sure that if you intend to eat all of your exercise calories you actually have accurate info on your calories burned. I.e. use a HRM, not the number that MFP or the machine says.