exercise for max fat loss for a newb with knee pain?

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering what exercise sI could do to maximise my workouts without hurting my knees.

I love Jillian Michaels 30DS and that doesnt hurt at all. should i stick with exercises that are similar? and weights/strength training, I love that also, but will i benefit from this instead of cardio?

TIA

Replies

• I really enjoy Slim in Six by beachbody. You can modify the lunges and squats to reduce impact on your knees. I have hip and knee problems and I love this workout. I haven't made it past the first disc, but I'm not really worried about advancing. The other asspect I like about it is that the workout is only 35 minutes long, so each "set" is very short (thus more do-able).

Hope this helps!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    Anything that gets your heart rate at 70%+ of your max will get you burning fat!
    An elliptical would be very easy on the knees.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Elliptical is very easy on the knees. If you can do the 30 day shred, even with all the jumping jacks, you should definitely be able to handle the elliptical. That DVD is the reason I still have knee issues!
  • pinguina8
    pinguina8 Posts: 17 Member
    I have knee problems too. Ellipticals are really good, and so are stationary bikes (i.e. spin classes at the gym). Just be sure to be careful with the resistance: too much can strain, and too little can make your knee go wonky. Yoga has also been a blessing for me, in terms of building the muscles that support my knee, which led to less pain, but I understand yoga isn't for everyone :) Good luck!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Circuit training is the best.
    Any work out that use big muscle, you will burn more fat, during and after the work out.
    Rowing machine is good for cardio, work upper body, legs, ab and no knee impact.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    elliptical and swim!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Buy some Mueller knee straps. There are other brands as well. They are thin neoprene/velcro straps that wrap around your leg just below the knee to stabilize the knee cap. Barely notice they are there and they made a world of difference with my knee discomfort while running.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Your aim should be for high-intensity, low-impact workouts for problematic knees.

If you can get to the gym, try this:

A great source for this is the cross-trainer, which keeps you moving fast but keeps your feet firmly planted to drastically reduce impact on the knees and feet.
    Another great source is the machine rower, which will count highly towards keeping your heart rate up but will also count towards muscle building.

If you alternate between these two machines each workout this could work for you.
  • Eskimovm
    Eskimovm Posts: 53 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely try out the eliptical trainer. and i LOVE the row machine! havent done it in aaaages!