cooking GOOD long grain brown rice?

Options
jessica7368
jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
So when I make brown rice it's SOOO starchy and gooey after the 50 minutes of cooking. Any tips to getting nice fluffy brown rice?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker. It's so easy to use, and it always comes out wonderful. With mine, you can even steam veggies on top in a tray while the rice is cooking below. Just add some meat, and you got yourself a meal!
  • jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker. It's so easy to use, and it always comes out wonderful. With mine, you can even steam veggies on top in a tray while the rice is cooking below. Just add some meat, and you got yourself a meal!

Which Rice cooker do you have?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Rinse the rice well first.

bring four to six cups of water to a boil.

add one cup of rice

boil on medium for 35 minutes

strain out water

return to pot and cover with a TIGHT lid

turn off heat and allow to steam in the hot pan for 10 minutes

fluff with fork.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly a cheap option, but I love my Zojirushi rice cooker. It makes amazing brown rice, so good we rarely eat white rice now. It's also great for steel cut oats (put in oats and water the night before, set the timer, it's done when you want it in the morning) and other grains like quinoa. I've even made rice pudding in it - Indian kheer, it's wonderful.

Only downsides are the cost (mine was $150...but I use it at least once a week so I consider it a good purchase) and the brown rice cook cycle is long, almost two hours. But with the timer, it's not so bad - I set it in the morning to be done at 6 or whatever and like magic, it's ready when I need it :)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I only cook brown rice for 30 minutes, not 50. It comes out basically al dente - soft, but with a bit more bite and flavour than white rice. If you are using the absorption method or a rice cooker, it needs more water than white rice (2:1 or a little more).
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Rinse the rice well first.

bring four to six cups of water to a boil.

add one cup of rice

boil on medium for 35 minutes

strain out water

return to pot and cover with a TIGHT lid

turn off heat and allow to steam in the hot pan for 10 minutes

fluff with fork.

I agree with this... I recently read something that says what makes rice sticky is the grains rubbing together as they boil. The solution was to boil the rice in a lot of water (sort of like when you boil pasta), so the grains don't rub together so much, then drain off the excess water, cover tightly and let finish cooking. Tried it for the first time a few weeks ago, and it worked!