Protein shakes vs healthy proteins

Options

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Many still swear by milk as a post workout drink. Whole milk is supposed to be even more effective. Google " milk and muscle gains".

Adequate protein, calories, and lifting heavy weight should put muscle on most.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't consume milk products, and when I'm home (living in China at the moment) I use a mix of 75% gemma pea protein and 25% brown rice protein. About 25g protein per scoop, and if you get it from trueprotein.com like I do, you can choose the flavorings, sweeteners, add-ins, etc. There is no shame in supplementing with a protein powder - I mix mine with fresh veggies, fruits and non-dairy milk. If you don't eat a lot of meat, considering adding tofu, tempeh and lentils to your diet, as they are great meat-free sources of protein.

Make sure you do some research regarding how to build muscle, and keep in mind that it doesn't just happen overnight, especially if you are female. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to build muscle mass on a calorie deficit, so make sure you do all the necessary reading beforehand.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Thanks :) yes I know it will take time and I was even thinking that maybe I should lose another 20lbs before building muscle. I am drinking at the moment Muscle Milk protein, but I think it is not enough as I mix 1 scoop only after my workouts in water. I also use fish oil and calcium, but I still don't get in enough protein. I read that each pound you have you have to divide with 0.7 g of protein and this is your daily protein needs. Its 150 gram and I afraid to increase the shakes as all of the shake has sugar in it :(((. I think I have to figure out what way would work for me :). Thanks anyway for all of your comments.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I use the Muscle Milk Pure Protein from Costco and it only has 1 gram of sugar in it. I drink one shake a day and try to get the rest of my protein requirement from chicken, beef, pork, beans, legumes or lentils.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) yes I know it will take time and I was even thinking that maybe I should lose another 20lbs before building muscle. I am drinking at the moment Muscle Milk protein, but I think it is not enough as I mix 1 scoop only after my workouts in water. I also use fish oil and calcium, but I still don't get in enough protein. I read that each pound you have you have to divide with 0.7 g of protein and this is your daily protein needs. Its 150 gram and I afraid to increase the shakes as all of the shake has sugar in it :(((. I think I have to figure out what way would work for me :). Thanks anyway for all of your comments.

I wouldn't worry so much about the sugar as I would about your calories. Ultimately, it's better to cut the store-bought shakes out and replace them with a powder mixed with whole foods. It'll also help fill you up a little more - not to mention, cut costs and packaging.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is my favorite food of the day..haha...I eat my oatmeal in the morning with a scoop of double chocolate protein (gold standard 100% whey) and its amazing...Then I eat another bowl later in the day and its amazing...So, I don't necessarily have it in "shake" form...But I incorporate them into my meals in different ways because I will not eat a snack or meal unless there is protein with it... and this addition has really helped changed my body composition!
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    My protein powder has very little sugar and carbs and it tastes good...There are a ton of protein powders that don't incorporate that other stuff. Plus you can buy an isolate that has no flavoring and add it to loads of things just to up the protein content. I got a huge 5 lb bag of musclefeast whey isolate (unflavored) for pretty cheap and it lasts forever....and you can add it to anything and not really even taste it...and only 100 calories a scoop for like 28 grarms of protein.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Gold standard whey. Label info:

61u7WVUXlwL.gif
  • lifeskittles
    Options

Ahhh I hope by " lose 20lbs before building muscle" you mean stay in a deficit before you do a surplus and not "do a ton of cardio before I switch to weight training"....Because weight training makes you lose body fat way faster than cardio ever did...at least for me. I used to be able to run for hours and not see any change..But as soon as I started doing only 15 minutes of sprints (HIIT) followed by 20-30 minutes of strength training every day (split routine upper and lower) my fat has just melted off.
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Gold standard whey. Label info:

61u7WVUXlwL.gif

love it <3
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yup. why not use those extra fat stores to help build muscle (if possible) or maintain as much as you can while lifting.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are - here in New Zealand there is a company called Red 8 - all their products use Stevia as a sweetner - and is made with New Zealand Whey - which means the cows are mostly grass fed - so very good quality protein...

Quite a few New Zealand high performance athletes uses Red 8 products....
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I don't know if this will be any help since I don't know if the brand I use is sold outside of the UK but I use Sci-MX Nutrition protein powders (lots of different types I just tend to buy one for lean muscles or whatever is on sale at the time!) and you're concerned about sugar content, it only has 2.2g of sugar per scoop (recommends taking 2 scoops but I tend to just use one) and there's 204 calories a scoop as well. Now I'm not saying this is low (since I genuinely have no idea what I'm talking about since I've never experimented with other protein powders) but I think its acceptable. Now I've just realized I've given nutritional info and haven't got any other packs to check on if it changes at all through the different products (which I'm sure it does) so on the off chance this is sort of what you're looking for its Sci-MX Nutrition Lean Grow MRF. When it's on sale 1kg generally costs around £15-20 (sorry not good at converting to dollars) and not on sale its about £35.

Full nutritional information is on the site, as I said the info I gave you was based per scoop the site does per 2scoops: http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/shop-by-goal/lean-muscle-strength/lean-grow-mrf/
  • DKBelle
    Options
    Yes, I agree :) I love to do strength training so I am doing it 6 x a week for 30 minutes at least and add 2 days at least when I do extra workout like 30 min of stationary bike or an hour of speed walk.

Ahhh I hope by " lose 20lbs before building muscle" you mean stay in a deficit before you do a surplus and not "do a ton of cardio before I switch to weight training"....Because weight training makes you lose body fat way faster than cardio ever did...at least for me. I used to be able to run for hours and not see any change..But as soon as I started doing only 15 minutes of sprints (HIIT) followed by 20-30 minutes of strength training every day (split routine upper and lower) my fat has just melted off.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    sounds good I am in USA, will check if there is anything like that here.
    Thanks
    Not sure where you are - here in New Zealand there is a company called Red 8 - all their products use Stevia as a sweetner - and is made with New Zealand Whey - which means the cows are mostly grass fed - so very good quality protein...

Quite a few New Zealand high performance athletes uses Red 8 products....
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I switch back and forth between MRM 100% all natural whey ( I order it online from www.mrm-usa.com)
    and "Synergy" sustained release protein. I probab;y wont buy the syngery again tho.

The body fortress whey protein available at wal mart isnt bad and fairly inexpepensive

Might want to stay away from that protein Body Fortress as it has creatine in it. This can cause water weight gains and make you look soft.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yes that's why I was wondering why do we need proteins which are mostly loaded with sugars. Sugar and carbohydrates raises your insulin which will make the fat store instead of burning and we will have hunger, eating more and slowing down the metabolism so you will lose weight slower or even gain weight.

Your knowledge of nutrition is faulty. Most proteins are insulinogenic. Which means they can raise insulin without the presence of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates is not the only thing that raises insulin. The body can store fat even when insulin levels are low! Are you also saying that eating carbs in a caloric deficit slows weight loss or causes weight gain? Not sure if serious.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I switch back and forth between MRM 100% all natural whey ( I order it online from www.mrm-usa.com)
    and "Synergy" sustained release protein. I probab;y wont buy the syngery again tho.

The body fortress whey protein available at wal mart isnt bad and fairly inexpepensive

Might want to stay away from that protein Body Fortress as it has creatine in it. This can cause water weight gains and make you look soft.

ya...I saw that listed in the ingredients. I dont see where it has the amount of creatine per scoop...do you happen to know?
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can buy unsweetened protein mix and add it to your oatmeal and such. :) I just ordered some today because I don't want all the extra sugar and artificial sweetners just mess your body up.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have seen many many rowers gain muscle without resorting to protein shakes.