Help me understand this exercise/calories allowed deal

Options
When I enter my excercise for the day it increases the remaining calories that I have to eat for that day. What is this.... a reward for work deal, like the carrot on the stick in front of the horse? I am supposed to walk 3 times a week for 20 minutes (entered in my lifestyle at the start), so I guess THAT exercise is already calculated in my 1,950 calories? If I understand this, I then should ONLY enter the excercise that I do over and above the three 20 minute walks. Is that correct?

I walked yesterday for 30 minutes at 3mph and it increased my caloric allowance so I deleted it. I walked tonight for 32 minutes and now it says I have another 832 calories to eat and I just plain am not hungry at all.

Thanks in advance for the help...I know I can read for an hour and find the answer, but I simply would rather ask.

Replies

• Jeniroosen1
    Options
    I have the same question. Any help would be appreciated.

I burned 1063 calories on Sunday from bike riding. (I'm a semi pro bike racer who is trying to cut weight in the off season). I'm certainly NOT going to eat another 1100 calories. lol

Jeni
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to walk 3 times a week for 20 minutes (entered in my lifestyle at the start), so I guess THAT exercise is already calculated in my 1,950 calories? If I understand this, I then should ONLY enter the excercise that I do over and above the three 20 minute walks. Is that correct?
    I was wondering this as well...is it already counted in when they estimate your calorie goal?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    the exercise you enter is NOT figured into your daily calories. its more just something for you to keep track of your exercise goals.
    so when it says you earned XXX calories - you are supposed to eat them.
    Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Set your activity level to how a normal day for you is.

Log any exercise you do beyond that activity level (I wouldn't include the walking in your activity level unless this is something you naturally are doing every day).

Those "extra" calories you get from exercise? You eat those. Yes, as many of them as possible.