What exactly is low blood pressure?

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
I ask because of a conversation I had with a nurse who took my blood pressure (twice) yesterday.

My blood pressure is always lower than most peoples. I've had procedures, check-ups and my blood pressure taken multiple times in the past 2 years and nobody ever seemed to think it was a BAD thing, so neither did I.

The reason I am now wondering if it might be is because this nurse said that low blood pressure can cause you to feel tired a lot (which I do) I mean, once I get going I'm fine.... but the minute I lay down or sit on the couch I'm just done. I don't want to move, I want to fall asleep immediately, I have no energy and no desire to do ANYTHING (even basic things like getting up to use the bathroom). I've been having trouble feeling motivated to exercise lately because of this and have been writing it off as laziness and maybe even minor depression. I never even considered that it might be an actual physical problem.

So, my blood pressure yesterday at the beginning of my appointment was 106/57 and at the end when she took it the second time was 100/65. Is that really THAT low??? She of course offered no opinion as to whether I should discuss it with my doctor but I have an appointment next Wed. to discuss the results of yesterdays appointment and could bring it up- just figured I'd get opinions here and see if anyone had any experience with it.

The charts I look up online just confused me and didn't really give much information about it (maybe I didn't look hard enough)

Replies

• Wolfena
    Options
    I ask because of a conversation I had with a nurse who took my blood pressure (twice) yesterday.

My blood pressure is always lower than most peoples. I've had procedures, check-ups and my blood pressure taken multiple times in the past 2 years and nobody ever seemed to think it was a BAD thing, so neither did I.

The reason I am now wondering if it might be is because this nurse said that low blood pressure can cause you to feel tired a lot (which I do) I mean, once I get going I'm fine.... but the minute I lay down or sit on the couch I'm just done. I don't want to move, I want to fall asleep immediately, I have no energy and no desire to do ANYTHING (even basic things like getting up to use the bathroom). I've been having trouble feeling motivated to exercise lately because of this and have been writing it off as laziness and maybe even minor depression. I never even considered that it might be an actual physical problem.

So, my blood pressure yesterday at the beginning of my appointment was 106/57 and at the end when she took it the second time was 100/65. Is that really THAT low??? She of course offered no opinion as to whether I should discuss it with my doctor but I have an appointment next Wed. to discuss the results of yesterdays appointment and could bring it up- just figured I'd get opinions here and see if anyone had any experience with it.

The charts I look up online just confused me and didn't really give much information about it (maybe I didn't look hard enough)
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound too low to me! Sounds pretty healthy! Here is a site with some info:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23356
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hypotension is technically a BP under 90/60. It can cause fatigue, dizzyness, and a type of vertigo associated with postural changes (like sitting to standing). When my BP got down to 92/60, the doctors started to keep an eye on it and I had severe dizziness upon standing, sometimes with a temporary 'blackout'. The bottom number in a blood pressure reading is more important than the top for the most part, so since it's at 57, it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment. But if you feel normal, it's not a big thing to worry about.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around where you are. My average is probably 102/ 62 or 64 for the bottom number. Rarely EVER is it over 70 (even when I was pg).

For me it's not a bad thing, except that sometimes it causes me to get dizzy if I stand up too fast after I've been sitting or laying down. (I have passed out a couple times) My Dr. told me not to worry about watching sodium and to make sure I get enough to help. He said it wouldn't cause a problem unless I was passing out while sitting down or having other problems. As long as I stand up carefully and don't bend over and stand up too quickly I'm fine.

I would talk to your Dr. if it is bothering you though!
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    No its not that low.Mine has been as low as 97/50 and my doctor told me it was fine.My blood pressure is usually around 106/60-120/50 so yours aren't that low.Also my doctor thinks its weird that mine is so low because I am obese(according to BMI)but I am active.I guess they just assume because your overweight your blood pressure is going to be high too.I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your doctor says its fine.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hypotension is technically a BP under 90/60. It can cause fatigue, dizzyness, and a type of vertigo associated with postural changes (like sitting to standing). When my BP got down to 92/60, the doctors started to keep an eye on it and I had severe dizziness upon standing, sometimes with a temporary 'blackout'. The bottom number in a blood pressure reading is more important than the top for the most part, so since it's at 57, it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment. But if you feel normal, it's not a big thing to worry about.

We were typing at the same time. Yep, that is exactly what happens to me at times. It's horrible when you have that blackout feeling and end up on the floor!! :huh:
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Here is more info I found.
    "Systolic blood pressure for most healthy adults falls between 90 and 120 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Normal diastolic blood pressure falls between 60 and 80 mm Hg. Current guidelines define normal blood pressure as lower than 120/80. Blood pressures over 130/80 are considered high."
    http://www.medicinenet.com/low_blood_pressure/article.htm

You fall right in the normal range according to this. Hope it helps!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

We were typing at the same time. Yep, that is exactly what happens to me at times. It's horrible when you have that blackout feeling and end up on the floor!! :huh:

Ugh yea, and I always feel a little sick to my stomach afterward because I get motion sickness easily. :sick:

Now that I run less my BP is higher, around 107/65. I actually like it more this way...I still get dizzy at times, but no more blacking out. I don't mind eating all of my sodium either.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Hi Wolf,

I am not a doctor, so keep that in mind when you read my response..

I have blood pressure very similar to yours. For the most part, I was told that this is a good thing - as I get older, it is still pretty low and I have not had to worry about hypertension medication.

A couple of things that I have noticed.

I, like you (as I read it), tend to be tired more often than not. I do get a huge boost in energy when I work out, but some days it feels like it takes all the kings horses and all the kings men to get me to the gym (or pool, or DVD).

I need way more sleep than other folks - and do not seem to get enough. My husband is happy with 5-6 hours. I am a zombie with under 7 and thrive on 9-10.. I can also sleep anywhere - given a comfy position and time on my hands I will fall asleep (plane, train, automobile, couch, you name it..). This comes in handy when I am traveling, but can be embarrassing when visiting..

I get dizzy easily - especially when moving rapidly from a supine (laying down) to standing position. My brother (who has even lower blood pressure) used to pass out if he was laying on the couch and suddenly jumped up to use the bathroom. Although we teased him mercilessly, it was pretty scary when it happened.

Given all this information, I still think it is a really good idea for you to question the doctor at your follow-up visit, and let him know all the other symptoms you are feeling. Most likely you are fine, but it never hurts to check.

Good luck - keep us posted - will be thinking of you..

jb
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Ugh yea, and I always feel a little sick to my stomach afterward because I get motion sickness easily. :sick:

Now that I run less my BP is higher, around 107/65. I actually like it more this way...I still get dizzy at times, but no more blacking out. I don't mind eating all of my sodium either.

It's a horrible feeling. I get shaky and break out in a cold sweat. No fun! Yeah, my Dr. told me not to worry about sodium unless it starts getting higher (and I don't eat hardly any processed foods anyway). They always say I have a runner's BP, so I guess that's a good thing. :bigsmile:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I am not a big fan of people saying oh your in this range so your fine! I believe that symptoms are more important. What may be fine for someone else may cause symptoms in you.

I had sub-clinical hypothyroid and every friggin doc i saw said i was normal. Even though I was putting on weight, exshausted, poor sleep, thin skin and my hair was falling out??yup that sure sounds normal to me lol..so I fired all of them and found one who said sure lets start with a small dose and moniter and see if you feel better if we get you closer to the middle range.

I also had low blood pressure and I had lots of problems with it even though docs again said no thats healthy its not too low etc...I was tired, dizzy, fuzzy headed and irritable.

If you think it is effecting your life negativly then I think you should find a doctor who takes you seriosly! No one will look after you better then yourself!

Your symptoms could be caused by an underlying condition I found out that my low bp and and some other symptoms were related to an underlying condition.

If something is effecting your life negativly I believe you owe it to yourself to find someone who will search for the reason and not brush you off as depressed or stressed. I suffered for over 2 years because of docs like that untill I finally found one who LISTENED and did not assume things. He treated me like an human being and said well lets find out WHY your having these symptoms instead of just treating the symptoms. I drive almost 3 hours and go to another state to see this doc and its worth it :love:

Sorry for the long post but i think you deserve better care!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It's funny you mention all this. I, also have generally low blood pressure. I was at the doctor's office yesterday and she measured me at 84/60. She said it was low. Later, when the doctor came to talk to me she was like "please don't pass out on me." I was confused because I felt perfectly fine. Now, I know this runs in my family because both my mom and sister have it also on the low side. I don't think you should stress over it. Usually, high is much worse. Just eat right, exercise and keep hydrated. Should be just fine.
  • beagle595
    Options
    Go and get all your Thyroid Functions done. I have very low blood pressure until I was 33 and found out I was Hypo-thyroid. I couldn't get out of a chair without stumbling/ dizzy. Couldn't turn my head while driving/ motion sickness. (I went thru 2 different Internists Doctors/ HMO insurance miss-diagnosed me and never tested my Thyroid. Even though my Twin had Hockins, and my brother had Cancer). Thank God a new Dentist 2 yrs later found a huge lymph node in my neck... Thyroid Cancer. It is very slow at progressing... DON'T LET ANY DOCTOR BRUSH YOU OFF. YOU KNOW YOUR BODY THE BEST. Find the answer to what is causing it. Best of health to all of you! God bless! :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts, comments and stories. I will ask my Doc at the follow up appointment - again, not sure there really IS a problem, but can't hurt to ask - right?
    :smile: