Work-Out Help

Options
I have a small place and can't afford to go to a gym or pool (the only free one around is always crowded with kids so I can't really work out).

I'm mainly looking for help with resistance training. I usually gauge the success of a work-out based on how terrible I feel the next day. I know if I'm sore, that I've worked the muscle. I've been working pretty hard, but I never seem to 'feel it' afterwards.

Also, lately I've been getting tired doing resistance training. I'll end up tiring out before my muscles do, and so I end up not working them as well as I should. Like today I only got through 2 sets of abdominal butt thrust/leg raises before I just couldn't do them anymore. My abs felt fine...but I wasn't.

I also always feel very depressed and anxious after working out. From my experience...shouldn't I be feeling great?

My cardio is good. I run/jog/walk at least 30 minutes a day.

So...what are some good, muscle burning/building exercises for someone in my position? I do have some 8lbs weights, but they never do much. I'm especially looking for stuff for my biceps and back, as those are the muscles I have the most trouble targetting.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Check out www.scoobysworkshop.com and www.fitnessblackandwhite.com
    Go for a 2day split routine with cardio in the AM before you eat.
    This will maximize fat burn and get the metabolism revved up.
    Lifting should only take about 45 mins and never ever work the same muscles 2 days in a row.
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    I feel the same way about gauging the success of my workout on how sore I am the next day however soreness is not an indicator of how hard you worked the muscle (although I still strive for that sore feeling everytime lol)

anyways a great exercise to target back and biceps are pullups, I would highly recommend buying a pullup bar that attaches to the inside of your door without the need of screws or anything like that. If you cant do pullups you can do them assisted by placing a chair within reach of your feet and using your feet to help pull yourself up, these are excellent and in time you'll find you'll be getting stronger and then can progress to unassisted pullups.

As for back and bicep exercises with dumbbells one biceps exercise I love is called static arm curls. You do this by taking one arm and holding the weight at 90 degrees parallel to the floor while the other arm does 4 curls, after the 4 curls you switch and that arm becomes static while the other arm does curls. do this for 16 reps total and it will blast your biceps I love it.

A good back exercise with dumbbells that you can do are lawnmowers, here is how to do the exercise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6VyuaVOK4
    you can do this exercise without having to lean onto a bench just go into a lunge and rest your non working arm onto the leg thats in the lunge

hopefully you find this helpful, if you have any questions feel free to message me