Looking for Desserts for about 15

Options
Having a small family get together next weekend and I'm looking for a dessert that will please everybody while helping me stick to my new eating styles. I'm not being super strict with anything, just trying t be more aware of what me and my family are eating. Any suggestions for a dessert that will go over well and not be super high in the calorie or "garbage" department would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Stacey

Replies

• Stacey82
    Options
    Having a small family get together next weekend and I'm looking for a dessert that will please everybody while helping me stick to my new eating styles. I'm not being super strict with anything, just trying t be more aware of what me and my family are eating. Any suggestions for a dessert that will go over well and not be super high in the calorie or "garbage" department would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
    Stacey
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake is low in fat, but still fairly high calorie. If you were to combine it with fresh fruit it would make it a bit healthier. Of course, you could just do a fruit salad for optimal health benefits:smile:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Try those little 'cake cups' that they sell in the fruit department next to the berries. They are 60 calories. Then get some fat free cool whip (25 cals a serving) and some yummy fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries - go berry crazy) and put everything on top of the cake.

You have a delicious desert for less than 100 calories! :devil:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Doublepost. :embarassed:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I like to make this for a dinner party:

Creamy Lime Mousse
    1 4-serving-size package sugar-free lime-flavoured gelatine
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 8-ounce carton light dairy sour cream
    1 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
    1/2 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
    Lime peel curls or lime slices (optional)
    1. In a large bowl, combine gelatine and the boiling water; stir about 2 minutes or until gelatine is dissolved. Stir in shredded lime peel and lime juice. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooled slightly but not set. Whisk in sour cream. Gently whisk in the 1 cup dessert topping. Pour into six 6- to 8-ounce stemmed dessert glasses. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours or until set.
    2. If desired, garnish with the 1/2 cup dessert topping and lime peel curls or lime slices. Makes 6 (1/2-cup) servings.
    Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
    • Calories 112
    • Total Fat (g) 2
    • Saturated Fat (g) 2
    • Cholesterol (mg) 0
    • Sodium (mg) 106
    • Carbohydrate (g) 4ol
    • Fibre (g) 0
    • Protein (g) 3
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Layered jello (2 or 3 types) with fat free coolwhip and strawberries or blueberries on top.

relatively low sugar (mostly fructose anyway which is far better then table sugar), very low calorie, and delicious.

You can also do, sugar free jello pudding with a layer of reduced fat nilla wafers crumbled at the bottom and cool whip layered and on top. Then shave a light dusting of bakers chocolate (85% cocoa) on top, it is yummie, and low in cals and sugar.
  • Stacey82
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, they all sound yummy!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I love the angel food cake idea. Here is a recipe for one that is alittle more fun because it is both chocolate and vanilla. I like angel food because it freezes well. So you could make this up ahead of time and the day you need it take it out of the freezer in the morning. After it is thawed make up the glaze and you have a nice desert with little fuss on the day you need it. Or skip the glaze altogether and serve with fruit. It would save even more calories if you skip the glaze and it would still taste delicious.

It says it serves 12 but you could cut the slices alittle smaller.

Black & White Angel Food Cake
    Yield
    12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    Cake:
    1 cup cake flour (about 4 ounces)
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    12 large egg whites
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark)

Glaze:
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese, softened
    1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark)

Topping:
    Sliced strawberries (optional)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 325°.

To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup granulated sugar, stirring with a whisk; set aside.

Place cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition.

Spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter; fold in. Spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter; break air pockets by cutting through cocoa layer with a knife. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto a plate.

To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Drizzle half of glaze over cake.

Add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa to remaining glaze; stir well to combine. Drizzle cocoa glaze over cake. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:210 (3% from fat)
    Fat:0.6g (sat 0.3g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g)
    Protein:4.7g
    Carbohydrate:47.3g
    Fiber:0.5g
    Cholesterol:1mg
    Iron:0.8mg
    Sodium:111mg
    Calcium:9mg
  • marisa0918
    Options
    I make a carmel apple dessert that is always a hit....

1 container of cool whip (can use low fat)
    1 can crushed pineapples (drained)
    1 cup unsalted peanuts
    1 box butterscotch pudding

Mix all togeter in a bowl
    Cut up some apples and throw them in right before you are going to serve. I leave the skin on and I use diffenent types.....maybe 2 grannysmiths, 2 red delicious, and whatever else you like.

It is soooo easy to make and everyone alwasy loves it. I didn't look up the nutritional value on it tho
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    :love: mmmmm caramel...:love:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I am not sure the calorie count, but there is frozen pie that is always a big hit.

You make a graham cracker crust in a spring form pan (instructions on the graham cracker crumb box)
    in a blender combine:
    1 brick of light cream cheese
    1 can of frozen juice concentrate (choose your flavour)
    1 container of light cool whip
    2 TBS of icing sugar.

pour the blender mixture into the pan and place in the freezer. It takes a few hours to freeze. you can serve it topped with fresh fruit.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Do a chocolate fondue.
    Cut up a ton of fruit and that way your guest will have the option of dipping or not dipping. :flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I found a great recipe on Kraft website that I tried this Christmas. I adapted the recipe by using low cal cherry filling, jello, pudding and cool whip to make it more figure friendly. The recipe makes a lot!

Here is the website:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes
    Look for "Merry Cherry Dessert"

You could probably switch up the flavours easy by using different flavours of pudding, jello and fruit.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Jello with light cool whip- you can use all sugar free or mix regular & sugar free and even put fruit in it if you want.

Angel Food cake is another idea, again - light cool whip goes good with that too.

My boyfriend's mother made a white chocolate/milk chocolate pie at Christmas time with sugar free instant pudding in a graham cracker crust (also good with light cool whip!)
  • Stacey82
    Options
    OH MY! These all sound so delicious, I'm not sure how I'll choose! Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas, you guys are all wonderful!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My fav!

One box orange or lime Jello(regular size)
    One box lemon Jello(has to be lemon)
    one can crushed pineapple in it's own juice(use all with juice)
    1 low fat cream cheese 8 oz - softened
    2 cups hot boiling water
    1 tbsp mayo(regular tastes better it is the tang you want)

Mix Jello into hot water to dissolve then blend in all other ingredients put in Jello mold or glass dish and let set several hours. You can use SF Jello if you can but I can't I am allergic to it - gives me migraines.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again