Help please - Only Lost 1lb since starting this 40 days ago!

Options

Replies

• janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't imagine how frustrating that would be. Have you ever tried a Herbal Cleanse to rid your body of toxins?

I recommend the Herbal Cleanse from Sangsters health store (not sure where you live) but you can also get it online. It's called Wild Rose by Dr. Terry Willard, Ph.D. It's a 12 day program that actually has a very strict diet you have to follow along with some pills to help clear out your system. After the 12 days, your body and your spirit will feel COMPLETELY full of life and you'll have more energy.
    I did it a while ago, and while it's extremely strict food intake, it's only 12 days... May help...
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I feel your pain. In January it will be 1 year since I started watching what I eat and working out. I've lost only 5 lbs but I've lost 25 inches over all!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I feel your pain. In January it will be 1 year since I started watching what I eat and working out. I've lost only 5 lbs but I've lost 25 inches over all!!!

That is great!! I wish I saw 25 inches with only 5 lbs gone! What is your secret?
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

That is great!! I wish I saw 25 inches with only 5 lbs gone! What is your secret?

I try to stay under my calorie goal, and I workout 5 days a week. I alternate my plans from varying weight training/cardio, workout videos, my Wii EA Sports active, heavy cardio, lots of variation and it's worked. There have been times I've gained a inch or 2 back but I get back on track and lose it again. I hate that the scale doesn't budge but I can tell I'm losing by how I look. I'm only 1 size smaller but I'm hoping to get down another size in 2012.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump for later
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you're game, try ditching the grains, dairy and sugar. All carbs make our body produce insulin to shuttle the sugar out of our blood. When insulin is in the game, weigh cannot be lost....but it most certainly can be gained.

I spent all of Oct and Nov on a plateau, so I really know how you feel. For the month of Dec I've committed to the Primal/Paleo plan which is pretty low carb. Even eating big steaks, using real butter, eggs, roast, pork and lots of veggies with oilve oil, I've dropped 4 lbs since Dec 1st. If it keeps coming off, which so far it is, I'm going to commit a much longer period of time to this. (note, I eat a lot of fat, check out my diary if you want to see)

It might be interesting to note that after just a day or two, all cravings for sweeties dropped. Zero. Zilch.

Don't give up, keep up the fight, and whichever way you choose, know that it's good that you reached out here and have so many friends willing to support you.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I have noted that my caloric burn according to my HRM is about 1/2 what the machine says on almost every piece of cardio equipment. So that might contribute to your slow weight loss if you are not creating enough of a caloric deficit.

I should also note that my resting heart rate is about 38 bpm though... when I am running it levels out to 130bpm.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're eating way too many processed foods and white carbs. There is a lacking of fresh fruits and veggies which are so important in making you feel full and your body needs them. I also noticed that your water is lacking.

I don't track my water in MFP - I do drink about 1.5 litres a day but appreciate I could be eating more. I eat 2 or more pieces of fruit everyday and have a large salad every lunch and vegetables with every dinner - again - I rarely put these in MFP diary. All my main meals are home-cooked from fresh ingredients not processed (they are added from my recipe builder). Okay - the odd jar/packet of sauce creeps in now and again - and I only eat wholemeal bread/pasta/rice so not sure where you are getting the white carbs from - do you mean potatoes?
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    I was wondering if you have looked into the Olivia Method. Check it out she has a blog on here. She has a whole new way of figuring out how many calories you should be eating..

I did have my diary set this way for a couple of weeks but it gave me a false sense of security as to how many calories I had left lol!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    1g per lb of bodyweight in protein.
    .35g per lb in fats (not trans... the others :D).

Limit alcohol and drink your water.

Realize that inches lost are the same as pounds lost. Just measured in a different way. I don't mean they equal, but if you get one or the other its a great change!

165 and only 1250 calories seems low, I am 180 and I am set at 1650. Maybe you have too small a number as well? Eat within 50 of your calorie limit every day including the above numbers as the minimum. You will lose weight and be healthy :D
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you log EVERYTHING. This means everything you eat and drink as well as all of your exercise. I also suggest you eat 1/2 of your exercise calories. I have done this long enough and tested most scenarios and that is what worked best for me.

Three suggestions: 1) Minimize what packaged and prepared foods you eat. 2) There is no such thing as a cheat day, some meals we just eat more healthy than others. 3) If you aren't exercising 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes a workout, you need to start.

I really believe most people that struggle with weight issues tend to underestimate what we eat and overestimate how much exercise we get. I hope this helps, good luck.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Hey.. you should try up your cals a bit. Choose the 1lb or 1.5lb lose a week and you'll start seeing better results. WORKED FOR ME.. it's weird to wrap your head round but it works.. :)
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    Hi everyone - thanks for all of your advice! It is all very worthwhile reading through and there is plenty of it as well! There are a couple of running themes which I am going to try:

1. Replace bread/pasta/rice with more protein and veggies - so for example for breakfast i could have a couple poached eggs with some tomatoes. For snacks fruit and nuts or humous and vegetable crudities. Lunch lovely big bowl of homemade vegetable & lentil soup or big salad with chicken, and dinner - do what I am doing and cut out the simple carbs and replace with veg

2. Exercise calories - it is my birthday in January so i am going to ask for money to get an HRM to better monitor calories burned and only eat half to 2/3 of them back and see how that goes. I am due for a review of my gym program in the new year so I will organise that as well.

3. Cut down on alcohol - easier said than done lol. It is so easy just to open a bottle of wine and drink the lot at the weekend :drinker: I find if i drink spirits i will only have one or two with a "diet mixer". Bloody Mary's are good - off to get the tomato juice now lol! I have already cut down my alcohol intake a lot from what it used to be so that is good!

Over the festive season I am going to continue as I am now and at least maintain my weight and then start the above in the new year!

Thanks again everyone - have a fantastic Christmas!!

mel x
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Hey.. you should try up your cals a bit. Choose the 1lb or 1.5lb lose a week and you'll start seeing better results. WORKED FOR ME.. it's weird to wrap your head round but it works.. :)

HEEHEE!!! ignore me.. I'm an idiot.. Worst advice EVER! Didn't realise you were set to 1lb already.. my bad
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    Congrats on already cutting down on wine and spirits! That is going to be my biggest challenge. If you hand me a bottle of wine I'll drink it up and ask for more.

You still may want to cut the spirits back a bit more after the holidays. Until using this tracker I had no clue how many of my calories were coming from alcohol!!!
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - thanks for all of your advice! It is all very worthwhile reading through and there is plenty of it as well! There are a couple of running themes which I am going to try:

1. Replace bread/pasta/rice with more protein and veggies - so for example for breakfast i could have a couple poached eggs with some tomatoes. For snacks fruit and nuts or humous and vegetable crudities. Lunch lovely big bowl of homemade vegetable & lentil soup or big salad with chicken, and dinner - do what I am doing and cut out the simple carbs and replace with veg

2. Exercise calories - it is my birthday in January so i am going to ask for money to get an HRM to better monitor calories burned and only eat half to 2/3 of them back and see how that goes. I am due for a review of my gym program in the new year so I will organise that as well.

3. Cut down on alcohol - easier said than done lol. It is so easy just to open a bottle of wine and drink the lot at the weekend :drinker: I find if i drink spirits i will only have one or two with a "diet mixer". Bloody Mary's are good - off to get the tomato juice now lol! I have already cut down my alcohol intake a lot from what it used to be so that is good!

Over the festive season I am going to continue as I am now and at least maintain my weight and then start the above in the new year!

Thanks again everyone - have a fantastic Christmas!!

mel x

Mel I think you have come to a great conclusion from all the advice given. I think you will see the pounds coming off. Please let us know how things go in a couple of weeks...
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining MUSCLE weight, rather than fat weight if you are still slimming, but maintaining the same weight. Which is actually a really good thing. If you are looking to just lose weight, don't do as much strength training and switch up your routine. Your body gets used to the same old routine day in and day out. Try doing your routine backwards, or up your weights, or push harder, switch your 'off' days. I hope you get the results you are looking for.

^^^ This!!!

The scale is not the true measure!!! I was the same for MONTHS but my clothes were getting bigger and bigger.....so the mirror plays a big part. Get on the scale once a month or so......it takes time!! Rome was not built in a day and your change to a healthy you won't either!!.....hope that made sense!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you're game, try ditching the grains, dairy and sugar. All carbs make our body produce insulin to shuttle the sugar out of our blood. When insulin is in the game, weigh cannot be lost....but it most certainly can be gained.

I eat dairy and grains. I eat about 200 grams of carbs a day. I am still losing weight.

OP - I feel your pain. I have been in the same spot, over a month with no changes on the scale, but changes in inches. I understand how frustrating it is to want to see results and not get what you want, but you ARE getting results. The scale is the least accurate reflection of your results. and it will move eventually.
    Also keep in mind, although it seems like forever, 1 month is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. In 5 weeks, at 1lb a week, that is 5 lbs, which can easily be masked by water retention. Starting a new exercise plan, working out harder, change in diet, time of the month, and a number of other things can all affect water retention. You also said that you have been trying different things, 1 month isn't very long to see results from one method, let alone several.
    I'd say if you are accurately logging your food, keep doing what you are doing. Although I do agree that maybe cut back a little on exercise cals, at least until you get your HRM.
    It has been said on here before, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    SO much false information in here. Wow! Sorry OP :(