Stalled Weight Loss Question

Options
Hello all,

I started MFP on Aug 29 at 240 pounds and I am 6'1" with a goal weight of 210 pounds. I wasn't sure if 210 would be my "6pack" weight or not, but once I get there, I may set a new goal of 200. So I guess I am approaching the "last 10-15 pounds are tough to lose" area. I have mainly been running for exercise but started doing a few P90X/Insanity workouts last week and I plan to start a official P90X/Insanity hybrid scheudle next week but will substitute some trail running for some of the cardio workouts.

I was doing good with hitting my goal calories for the first few months on MFP and I lost ~25 pounds in 12 weeks. And then came Thanksgiving where I overindulged slightly. I decided to stay under daily goal cals and average my net calories out over the next two weeks to get back on track but apparently it didn't work because I lost one pound in two weeks.

I thought that I would hit my goals cals for one week to see if I could get back to losing but in this past week of hitting goals cals each day, I gained one pound! So basically, I weigh the same today as I did on Nov 23 when I am set to lose 2 pounds/week.

I am not sure if this is really considered a plateau since my weight moved down one and then back up one, but I wanted to ensure that progress continues before I get stuck too deep in a plateau. Iknow that coming out of a "plateau" due to lower than goal cals, may take a few weeks to fix. I searched these forums as well as other sites for plateau breaking advice and there are quite a few different things that I could try, but I am not sure which to try. More exercise? Less exercise? Less carbs? More protein? Do nothing different?

So my question to anyone that would consider to give advice is, what should I do? I am thinking that I will continue to exercise, eat the right foods and ensure that I hit my goal cals on a daily basis (including exercise cals) and see what happens in the next week or so. Sound like a plan?

My current macronutritents are set to 35%carbs, 45% protein and 20% fats. Should I alter this setup or keep the same and really focus on hitting the targets?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mark

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary and you seem to go over on sodium a lot...which can really hinder your loss. Maybe try cutting back there. Also, are you (consistently) drinking enough water?
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon a day. I have a gallon jug at my desk that I nearly finish before I leave work and then I drink all night at home. I do see the sodium issue now but I never realized that I go over so often. Thanks.
    Just took a quick look at your diary and you seem to go over on sodium a lot...which can really hinder your loss. Maybe try cutting back there. Also, are you (consistently) drinking enough water?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon a day. I have a gallon jug at my desk that I nearly finish before I leave work and then I drink all night at home. I do see the sodium issue now but I never realized that I go over so often. Thanks.
    Awesome job on the water...it didn't show up on a couple of your recent days, but I saw some where you were way over. I was going over sodium a ton before I really started monitoring it. Its easy to do (just one meal at a restaurant usually does me in!).

Good luck, and congrats on how well you've done so far!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Where do you have your macros set? Custom or preset? My unprofessional advice: more protein, less carbs (not crazy less, but less), less sodium, and strength training.
  • Christi1979
    Christi1979 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hit a little plateau after Thanksgiving as well, but I noticed sticking with my calorie goal while reducing fats and carbs a little more than usual got my weight loss back going again. Now just sticking with the normal calorie goal routine is back to working. I think after over-indulgence, we just have to jumpstart our weight loss again. It's like hitting a "reset" button. Just my thoughts.
  • 84jeepster
    Options
    I custom adjusted my macros and they are set at 35% carbs (122g), 45% protein (183g) and 20% fat (45g). I did have them set to allow for more protein but since I wasn't doing much weights, I didn't think I needed them that high. Should I up the protein to allow for 1g/pound since I will do weight stuff next week? It would then be 30% carbs (122g), 55% protein (204g) and 20% fat (36g).
    Where do you have your macros set? Custom or preset? My unprofessional advice: more protein, less carbs (not crazy less, but less), less sodium, and strength training.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I wouId suggest some heavy weight training sessions, stick to compound Iifts and then focus on isoIation Iifts Iater down the road to fine tune your physique

Maintain the high protein intake and perhaps throw in some fasted cardio first thing in the morning
  • 84jeepster
    Options
    Thanks Fpacudan! I will focus on weight exercises and start to do more fasted cardio in the AM. Hopefully the scale and body fat move in the right direction.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hey bud finally got some time to read your thread. Give it at least 3 weeks before making any alterations, if your weight stays consistent after the third week I would recommend adding compound exercises(suggested by fpacudan)...

Concerning nutrition
    1) At least have 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, you want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible( More muscle burns more calories, making it easier to keep the weight off)
    2) 0.45 - 0.6 grams of fat per lb of bodyweight (Beneficial to testosterone levels, reproduction system, organ health etc)
    3) Carbs should fill the remainder of your calories...whether it is from oats, cereal or your favorite treat it doesn't matter unless you want to get more micronutrients(vitamins & minerals) from your food then go the veggie route.

Concerning exercise
    Since your goal is getting a six pack then I would seriously recommend starting a full body routine such as starting strength for the next six months, once you have gained a good amount of muscle(noob gains for the next 3-4 months) then you can start adding isolation exercises. The more muscle you build the more calories you burn, so in essence you get to enjoy food more without worrying about weight gain.

Do you take any supplements? If not then you should look into adding fish oil, ton of information available on internet on the benefits thereof.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's tough, and you just need to understand that perhaps your body is down regulating your program, so make some changes to your cardio and resistance. As for diet, I'd hope somebody who knows more could please advise.

I broke through my own walls by increasing protein amounts as well as sources.
    I went from 100 g per day to 180+, and instead of red meat, I went to fish.

That's what worked for me, and now I change up my workouts every 2 weeks from machines to weights to calisthenics to body weight to dumbbells to bands and then through cables. Also, I try to do a different type of cardio every day - never the same thing twice in a row.

I want to always stay one step ahead of my body's efforts to make life a little too easy - lol

Good luck!
  • 84jeepster
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I have a plan.

I plan to continue eating all of my cals, including exercise cals. I will also keep an eye on my sodium intake (except for tomorrow when I'm hitting up the Chinese buffet...LOL) I will keep macros at 30% carb, 25% fat and 45% protein.

I will do a hybrid program consisting on P90X and Insanity workouts beginning next week. There are a few different variations online and I am not 100% sure which I will be doing yet. I need to review tham again. I would like to keep up with my running as well but it will definitely be reduced since I will be doing Insanity cardio workouts. This will allow me to perform a varity of different cardio exercises and I will also be doing most of the workouts in the morning so it will be fasted cardio. It will also allow me to improve my overall fitness while beginning to gain some muscle and lose excess fat.

I will weigh myself next Monday to get one more weekly weight that I can use as my starting P90X weight. I am not stepping on a scale again until 4 weeks later! II may not see a weight drop on Monday but I would love to see a HUGE drop 4 weeks later.

If this plan has any major issues, please let me know. Otherwise, wish me luck! Thanks everyone!
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan.
    Good luck with avoiding the scale for 4 weeks? Maybe you should put it in the attic? :)
  • 84jeepster
    Options
    PS...my wife is hiding the scale until Sunday night so I can weight early Monday AM and the rehiding it until 4 weeks later. Because I have nothing better to do while waiting for the shower to get warm, than step onto the scale. LOL