Looking bad before you look better...?

Options
So it's been 2 weeks since I started hardcore calorie-counting and working out. I've lost a half inch around my hips and waist, but I'm noticing some differences that I'm not really liking... I had 3 kids (1 set of twins) so my stomach is a war zone of horrid stretchmarks. I noticed the areas where I have severe stretchmarks are not smooth anymore. My stomach feels rippled just under the skin when you run a hand over it. My legs and arms are improving, but my midsection doesn't seem to be. :grumble:

I know slow and steady wins the race, but is there something that I should be doing to keep up on my body while I'm making the exercise/food changes?

I'm doing the 30DS and changed my eating habits drastically.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So it's been 2 weeks since I started hardcore calorie-counting and working out. I've lost a half inch around my hips and waist, but I'm noticing some differences that I'm not really liking... I had 3 kids (1 set of twins) so my stomach is a war zone of horrid stretchmarks. I noticed the areas where I have severe stretchmarks are not smooth anymore. My stomach feels rippled just under the skin when you run a hand over it. My legs and arms are improving, but my midsection doesn't seem to be. :grumble:

I know slow and steady wins the race, but is there something that I should be doing to keep up on my body while I'm making the exercise/food changes?

I'm doing the 30DS and changed my eating habits drastically.

keep in mind, you are probably just more cognizant of what is going on and that is why you notice the difference. For stretch marks, here are lotions and creams that have helps (even me and I am a guy). The biggest thing to help make you look good is building muscle. Muscle helps your body in a ton of ways and from my research can help with the elasticity of your skin. This is why you have to be careful with the large deficits as it will destroy muscle. My recommendation is have your weight loss set at 1 lb, set your carbs at 40%, protein at 40% and fats at 20% as well as eat back at least 50-80% of your exercise calories. These things will aid muscle retention. But over time, your body will improve in ways you would never thought if you stick with a small deficit and work on turning fat into muscle.
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    The body often look a lot "flabbier" and less "firm" right before one lose weight/fat. It's a good sign that shows that you are making progress.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    The body often look a lot "flabbier" and less "firm" right before one lose weight/fat. It's a good sign that shows that you are making progress.

This.
    also to help the muscles adjust to the new body shape, when sitting to hold your stomach in so it doesn't stretch out so much, buy a body suit and wear it especially when working out. I used http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sweet-Nothings-82466/17109096
    It helped a lot. Good luck!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!

I will definitely look for the shapewear too!