Marathon Training and Weight Loss

Options
Has anyone had much success running more than 35 miles a week and losing weight? I'm training for a marathon this May and would like to lose about 20 pounds by then. I know from experience of running 2 marathons last year that I usually do ok losing weight the first 10 weeks of my 18 week marathon training program but usually run into trouble once I get over 35 miles a week. The program tops out at 50 mile weeks with 20 mile long runs. I find that when I get into that mileage range my body begins to starve too much and my discipline to stay on my diet crumbles. Any suggestions (cutting the mileage is not an option). :smile:

Replies

• bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had much success running more than 35 miles a week and losing weight? I'm training for a marathon this May and would like to lose about 20 pounds by then. I know from experience of running 2 marathons last year that I usually do ok losing weight the first 10 weeks of my 18 week marathon training program but usually run into trouble once I get over 35 miles a week. The program tops out at 50 mile weeks with 20 mile long runs. I find that when I get into that mileage range my body begins to starve too much and my discipline to stay on my diet crumbles. Any suggestions (cutting the mileage is not an option). :smile:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I am training for a marathon right now, since I started training I haven't lost any weight but I did lose weight when I first started running consistently about a year ago. I think if you body is used to what you are doing than you may not lose much weight, my body has hit a plateau and it seems like no matter how much I run I can't drop any more weight. You may lose some in the beginning if you haven't been running for awhile. I'd say try and pick up your pace the farther you get into your mileage I've heard that can help, I'm going to start trying that to try and get past my plateau, good luck!

~Leash
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you diet during your training, you will do more damage than good. Songbyrd will give you strong information with a basis in science, but if you are dieting to lose weight (caloric deficit) you cannot build healthy muscles and bones while you are doing that kind of training.

This is the voice of my experience.

Here is what my trainer/nutritionist told me: Eat to satisfy. Wear a heart rate monitor and eat ALL your calories to maintain your weight. The last four weeks, add extra calories. If you eat 500 calories a day in the right areas, you might gain four pounds, but you will be storing necessary energy. The last week, it was recommended to carb load like crazy. Two days before the race, start adding extra fats.

My last marathon, I never hit a physical wall.

By the way-your bone cells have a higher turnover rate, and if you are eating right, a greater density during and after training for your marathon. Your muscle fibers become "denser." As you get further in your training, you will likely see weight plateaus or gains, but your shape will change and your fat percentage will drop.

If you don't eat right/enough, you WILL have stress fractures. (okay, maybe not, but don't be surprised if it does happen)
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    Thanks, I know what you mean about the plateu thing. Thats why I'm trying this program. Its funny because most people assume that since I run so many miles that I can eat whatever I want. I wish that was true but my waistline says differently. I'm going to try eating Lean Cuisines for lunch and dinner. That way I know exactly how many calories I am eating and my portions are controlled. I can mentally tell myself that all I can eat is whats in the box.

Bill
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know what you mean about the plateu thing. Thats why I'm trying this program. Its funny because most people assume that since I run so many miles that I can eat whatever I want. I wish that was true but my waistline says differently. I'm going to try eating Lean Cuisines for lunch and dinner. That way I know exactly how many calories I am eating and my portions are controlled. I can mentally tell myself that all I can eat is whats in the box.

Bill

I would say dont go with Lean Quisines on a regular basis ..certainly not more than 1 or 2 aweek,,,they are for convenience not for fuel...you need good clean burning fuel...also the sodium in the packaged "food" is not good...take the extra time and eat fresh food more often than not...real food does not come ina box....or ignore me..LOL
  • daisy262
    daisy262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I've run a bunch of marathons but never tried to combine it with weight loss until last summer. Basically I cut out all extra sugar and tried to eat healthily... while still eating the right stuff for marathon training (carb loading before long runs, recovery meals, etc). I was trying to lose only 8 lbs, and the first 4 came off over the first half of training. Then my weight stabilized and did nothing until after the marathon, when I lost 4 pounds over the next 4 weeks. I only cut out the marathon food, kept eating healthily. Someone told me it was because your body stores carbs as fuel when you are in the apex of training and run over 35 miles a week, then once you stop running so much it lets it go. Of course, the holidays put it right back on, and now I'm trying this website while training for a few half-marathons in April! GOOD LUCK!
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey Bill, I don't have any advice for the running, but I did want to give you my advice for the boxed dinners. I eat a lean cuisine for dinner every night (I can't bring myself to cook for my family and then a separate meal for myself) but I always cook up a bit of broccoli or peas or brussel sprouts while my dinner is in the microwave and then put that on the plate first, piling on the dinner on top. It helps me feel full, and ends up being a good way to sneak in another serving of veggies.
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    Thats a good idea about adding the extra veggies. I have tried eating clean last year and with my schedule is really hard to find the time to prepare all the food. I'm going to try the Lean Cuisine route just to get me jump started. Once April gets here and the days get warmer and longer I will try to go back to a cleaner diet that is high in complex carbs and protein.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Anytime my mileage hits 30 miles a week, I am so hungry all the time! I put on 5 pounds training for my last marathon. Frustating!:grumble:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't think the two go well together. Weight Loss will only make your training harder and recovery near impossible. My goal when running over 30 miles/week maintaining my current weight. I tried to make sure my post run included the protein/carb mix to aid in recovery. I also used gel during any run over 10 miles.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I typically run 35 miles a week on average, sometimes more. Right now I am trying to lose. I do believe it is possible to loose while marathon training, but I don't know if it is worth it. When I trained for my last marathon I didn't focus on weight loss, I didn't want my training to suffer. As you know from past marathons it takes a lot of work to train and if you dont' have enough fuel your runs will suffer.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Anytime my mileage hits 30 miles a week, I am so hungry all the time! I put on 5 pounds training for my last marathon. Frustating!:grumble:

Yep, me too. I gained 5# training for my marathon too. I have found that the best thing for me is 3 days a week of running and 3 days of weight training. I'm training for a half marathon now and have lost about 6# in the last 6 weeks so I'm thrilled with that! :bigsmile: This site is awesome for helping you track your cals. I have a HRM now so I know how many cals I burn and can use that info to figure out how much I should be eating when I'm running longer distances (8 miles y'day!). Good luck, my best advice is to keep the eating clean. Just because you're logging a lot of miles doesn't mean you can eat donuts! :wink: