Can "good" carbs even keep the weight on?

Options
So I've obviously changed my carbs to all good ones, whole wheat, sweet potatoes, brown rice...ect And I measure properly but I'm wondering if my body just HOLDS on to carbs. Is there a way to get through this, or do I just need to lay off the carbs period? Thoughts, anyone?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Get through what? Carbs are used as energy, the body doesn't hold on to carbs and if your in a deficit there isn't any left over carbs.... if there was, they would have been converted to glycogen, which is stored in your muscle and liver. Glycogen also absorbs 3X it's weight in water, which is normal, but has nothing to do with weight loss whatsoever, and comes down to cals in vs out.
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Do you know your BMR? Do you count calories? Are you sure you are in a calorie deficit?
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you hit a plateau or something? It looks like you've lost 15 lbs since you joined in November... where's the problem? haha

It seems like you lost quite a bit already. Just be patient and keep on doing what you're doing!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So I've obviously changed my carbs to all good ones, ..., brown rice...

Reported for ricecism
  • jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just feel bloated a lot it seems like...even after loosing 15lbs. I guess i was just curious if the bloating is coming from all the carbs I eat, which tends to be a lot looking at my diary...Last week I lost 4lbs, this week nothing. Doing the exact same thing I did the week prior..lol
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Reported for ricecism

I can always rely on u for a good laugh lol I shouldn't of been drinkin while reading this lol
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open so it's hard to say when you say "a lot"..... if you are trying to build more muscle and lean out you should try doing at least 1g of protein for each lb of goal weight or at least 100g.

i've had to give up carbs to do that!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I just feel bloated a lot it seems like...even after loosing 15lbs. I guess i was just curious if the bloating is coming from all the carbs I eat, which tends to be a lot looking at my diary...Last week I lost 4lbs, this week nothing. Doing the exact same thing I did the week prior..lol

Are you drinking enough water? Not drinking enough water will make you retain water. Also, losing 4lbs and then not losing anything? Pretty common. I personally lose weight in chunks - will go weeks and not lose anything and then BOOM! Overnight I'll drop up to 7lbs. Relax. Follow the MFP "program" and give your body time. This isn't a sprint. Slow and steady is the best way to lose. Just be patient!

P.S. I eat at least my lean body mass in protein a day AND I consume a large quantity of carbs (usually around 250g a day).
  • jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open so it's hard to say when you say "a lot"..... if you are trying to build more muscle and lean out you should try doing at least 1g of protein for each lb of goal weight or at least 100g.

i've had to give up carbs to do that!

Okay I just opened up my dairy...
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Depending on your health. I have IR and PCOS...so no matter what ...majority of my carbs keesp me bloated..and it also keeps onto the excess Fat.
    I have given up all carbs except for those in natural/unprocessed sources..which is mainly fruit and veggies...It works for me..but I would suggest going to a dietician to see what they may have to say
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting back on the number of carbs and see how you feel? And, do you have any other symptoms besides bloating?

I, personally, have to watch my carbs, good or bad, or I start getting symptoms that mimic PMS. I've found if I keep it under 150, I feel good and the weight will come off. If it goes much higher than that, I can't lose and I don't feel as well.

You might have a bit of Candida in your system that is feeding on the carbs and yeast in your diet. Or, you might have some insulin resistance.

I would maybe cut back and see how you feel, and then gradually raise it to see where your threshold is. Good luck with doing that at Christmas time... It's a very carby time of the year! :ohwell:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    100-150g carbs a day is what I aim for - but I agree that if I eat too many I definitley bloat. Felt like that yesterday - had 5 rye crisp breads during the morning, and a bag of hula hoops, then some large rice cakes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "good" carbs or "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs. Don't fall for the myths. That said, if you have a metabolic issue, carbs can be an issue, but that has nothing to do with whether they are "good" carbs or "bad" carbs. Best advice would be to see a doctor and make sure you don't have an underlying issue.

Just cutting back on carbs may not give you a real answer, as carbs, when stored in the body as glycogen, need a lot of water to be stored with them, and to suddenly cut back on carbs would lead to less glycogen storage and an automatic loss of water weight, and would then lead to gaining that water weight back as soon as you reintroduce the carbs and your body increases its glycogen stores. So just cutting back carbs to compare isn't a good indicator on its own.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    You are eating enough protein and average of 81g over the past week, it doesn't seem that your logging in your water. My suggestion is try monitoring your water intake and adding in more cardio to burn off the energy if you think its from the carbs.
    I don't think you are eating too many carbs, but you can sub some for lean proteins if you would like. Subbing some carbs with lean protein will help your body release water weight but it will come back once you go back to eating normally. Adding more longer cardio exercises will help your body sweat and use the energy in the carbs you are already eating. Like walking for a whole hour at 3.0 speed for instance (brisk walk). It will make you feel great too.

One more thing, where are in terms of TOM, it is common to start bloating within two weeks of it's start date.

Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

Reported for ricecism

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "good" carbs or "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs. Don't fall for the myths. That said, if you have a metabolic issue, carbs can be an issue, but that has nothing to do with whether they are "good" carbs or "bad" carbs. Best advice would be to see a doctor and make sure you don't have an underlying issue.

Just cutting back on carbs may not give you a real answer, as carbs, when stored in the body as glycogen, need a lot of water to be stored with them, and to suddenly cut back on carbs would lead to less glycogen storage and an automatic loss of water weight, and would then lead to gaining that water weight back as soon as you reintroduce the carbs and your body increases its glycogen stores. So just cutting back carbs to compare isn't a good indicator on its own.

I agree to a point, what people call good carbs are just more nutrition rich carbs brown rice vs white rice for instance brown is more nutrition rich and is a better option because it has more fiber and oils natural to the rice causing it to digest slowly giving the body a more steady source of energy (less spikes in the body's insulin levels) and allowing the body to digest things more easily.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Comparing individual food items without looking at the rest of the diet as a whole is a futile endeavor in almost every situation. Saying that an orange is better than a bowl of oatmeal for example, is just silly if you don't know what other food items the individual is eating.

The big picture is critical but we always seem to overlook it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Get through what? Carbs are used as energy, the body doesn't hold on to carbs and if your in a deficit there isn't any left over carbs.... if there was, they would have been converted to glycogen, which is stored in your muscle and liver. Glycogen also absorbs 3X it's weight in water, which is normal, but has nothing to do with weight loss whatsoever, and comes down to cals in vs out.

^ This and also This down here vvvv

Great posts ^
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    So I've obviously changed my carbs to all good ones, whole wheat, sweet potatoes, brown rice...ect And I measure properly but I'm wondering if my body just HOLDS on to carbs. Is there a way to get through this, or do I just need to lay off the carbs period? Thoughts, anyone?

In general, if you're overweight then there are no "good" man made carbs. You can eat fruit, vegetables, beans, sweet potatoes. etc. But you should avoid prcessed carbs like bread if you're trying to lose weight.

Many professional body builders actually view whole wheat as a "bad carb" b/c the grains and gluten really aren't that nutritionally rich, and they can cause inflammation in your intestine. So some body builders actually choose to just eat straight white rice for the energy and avoid all the drawbacks of eating grains. Of course, if you have too much white rice and don't exercise . . . hello rapid weight gain and diabetes.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    carbs are carbs when it comes to body composition.