Question on eating five small meals a day

Options
Ok so i started eating five small meals a day per doctors orders. My salt intake has increased which is something i didn't realize until this morning. Anyways my question is when you go to start eating five small meals a day do you typically gain weight before losing weight? Or is it because of my salt intake and i need to watch my salt. I am staying under my 1500 cal limit for the day.

Just getting a little discouraged so i thought id ask the question.

thanks in advance for the comments!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    the number of meals don't determine weight changes, the total number of calories does.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the idea of eating several (5-6) small meals a day vs the traditional 3 meals a day or even having one large meal a day is a big debate. the bottom line for weight loss is a caloric deficit. I tend to look at a week at a time vs a day at a time to track whether I am in a deficit or not. I am not trying to lose much at the moment so Im concentrating on quality of my calories and at or near my maintenance.

fyi-
    a ton of threads on this issue.....read read read...dont take one opinion over the other until you have an understanding....but bottom line- its the number of calories not the number of meals
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's probably just the salt if your calories haven't changed.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I do 6 small meals per day and it's been working out great for me. Keeps your blood sugar levels regulated and makes it so you don't get too hungry ever. I would say if you are seeing a weight gain or if your loss has stopped, it could be water retention from sodium. I agree with PP, total calories per day is what counts, not how you eat them.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    How often you eat won't have any bearing on your weight loss goals - as long as you are sticking to your calories. The timing of your meals has more to do with personal preference than with weight loss. I would take a closer look at the things that have changed since you switched to smaller, more frequent meals (like your sodium). Make sure you're drinking enough water.

Weight loss is calories in/calories out - not when you eat the food.
  • aharmeson
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. After looking at my diary over the past week i realized i wasnt under my salt goals any of the days. Drinking about 80 oz of water a day. Definately have a sodium intake issue gonna start looking at that along with calories.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I had gone to a nutritionalist, and she recommended the same thing for me. She told me to eat off a luncheon plate, that it would help my MIND think it was a big thing, I hope that you watch your salt intake...

12117749.png
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Ok so i started eating five small meals a day per doctors orders. My salt intake has increased which is something i didn't realize until this morning. Anyways my question is when you go to start eating five small meals a day do you typically gain weight before losing weight? Or is it because of my salt intake and i need to watch my salt. I am staying under my 1500 cal limit for the day.

Just getting a little discouraged so i thought id ask the question.

thanks in advance for the comments!

I am presuming that you are eating small meals because of digestive/stomach problems; or some people do it after a gastric by-pass. Your body may be adjusting to eating; be advised to watch your caloric intake for each meal, also watch your sodium intake. What's the point of eating small meals if your nutrients and calories are not adjusted.
  • aharmeson
    Options
    I have a liver disease that we (my doctors and I) Are trying to control via weightloss. I have lost 15lbs but they want me to loose another 60 and then have another biopsy and bloodwork done to make sure that weightloss is helping. Got an in between appointment January 16 and im really hoping to be down to 240 by then. The goal is for me to loose the weight without them putting me on medication. Side affects of the medication that i would have to be put on are pretty bad.
  • grammaneicy
    Options
    Considering the fact your doctor has made this suggestion, I would give his office a call and ask about a nutrition consult. There may be specific things that would be beneficial to adding or deleting from your diet in order to reach the weight goal AND address the concerns with your liver. I will be keeping you in prayer for a healthy outcome :)
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    when you separate your meals like that you just give your digestive system a nice break from digesting big meals, it should make you feel energetic and wonderful. It won't cause you to gain weight at all.
    But eating too much salt and not enough protein will cause your body to retain water.

I just looked at your diary and it is showing on most days you are eating less than the recommended protein for the day. Keep in mind the protein recommendation on MFP is the bare minimum you should eat. I would up the protein to at least the bare minimum and decrease your salt intake, that will help your body release some of that water weight.
    Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have a liver disease that we (my doctors and I) Are trying to control via weightloss. I have lost 15lbs but they want me to loose another 60 and then have another biopsy and bloodwork done to make sure that weightloss is helping. Got an in between appointment January 16 and im really hoping to be down to 240 by then. The goal is for me to loose the weight without them putting me on medication. Side affects of the medication that i would have to be put on are pretty bad.

sorry to hear that but in that case, be very careful of the advice you will be given here (or anywhere from lay people) there are alot of smart people here with great advice...there are also people here ( and everywhere) who read something off the internet and pass it on as gospel. good luck
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just recently switched to eating 5 meals a day after hitting a stall on my weight loss. My trainer recommened it. The first week, my weight loss was back on track. Everybody is different though. While I agree with many people who are telling you it is all about calories is, calories out..... I would have to add my two cents and say that I think some of your weight loss might be depending on what food choices are making up those calories. High sodium food might have you retaining water. Good Luck!!!
  • grammaneicy
    Options

sorry to hear that but in that case, be very careful of the advice you will be given here (or anywhere from lay people) there are alot of smart people here with great advice...there are also people here ( and everywhere) who read something off the internet and pass it on as gospel. good luck

Totally agree, this is a great site, but I would really like you to consult your doctor on the specifics of your diet :happy:
  • aharmeson
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice I will be calling my doctor today to see if he can set me up with a nutritionist. I know i was told to watch my protein intake especially red meat because it is hard on your liver per the doctor on this one. Definately going to start watching my sodium I can definately tell that from my diary. Thank you all for all your advice its all appreciated.
  • grammaneicy
    Options
    Did you get in touch with a nutritionist? Hope things are going well for you