Falling back into old patterns

Options
I have several old patterns and habits that have begun to rear their ugly head...................How to get rid of them for good???????

Before I started here I used to tell myself that despite the weight gain after retiring (at age 45) that I still looked pretty good. I was at 143 pounds but still fit (though barely) in my size small clothes. I take good care of my skin and look younger than my 48 years (most days anyway!). So I rationalized every time I made a bad food choice that it was OK because I still looked "OK" and better than some of my contemporaries, despite the fact that I wasn't really happy with myself. I started here and kicked that attitide to the curb. Lost 28 pounds and felt great. The last few days I've been eating some extra goodies and rationalizing again.

Another thing I used to do is tell myself a few bites won't hurt. So I'd grab a couple bites of something and claim no harm no foul. When I was trying to lose I took control of every bite, never ate anything without thinking about its consequences. I let go of my "eat today, worry tomorrow" attitude. Last night I caught myself in the fridge grabbing a few bites of cake, which in and of itself isn't bad. Its what I'm telling myself as I'm eating it that's bad. I'm back to "a few bites won't hurt", which starts me down a bad path. I lost my weight through an "everything in moderation" kind of way. Didn't totally give up anything, just ate smaller portions and made CONSCIOUS decisions about my food rather than aimless eating. Last night was aimless eating.

Is it the Holidays that are doing this to me? I don't know. I love this time of year and do a lot of cooking and baking. Is it just a "phase" that I need to work through? One good thing is that I am still exercising at least 5 days a week and feel like I've got that part of this down to a science. Its the eating part I seem to be slipping with again.

Any advice?

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Im falling into similar patterns except mine is I'm too busy doing holiday stuff to exercise.. theres always tomorrow... i'll walk tomorrow, i'll eat better tomorrow... its tough!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yeah, maintenance is tough. I'm having similar issues, except that I'm losing extra weight, and I'm justifying a few bad instances as "trying to put a little weight back on..."

It's all balance, the first step is admitting you have a problem and that it'll never go away. You have to just live with it and try to keep it in check. I have confidence that you'll be fine. Just keep on being real with yourself!!!

huggggs
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me also, you are aware of it and that's half the battle. I've been taking it one day at a time, no more "snacking" after dinner, drinking more water, try to log in every BLT (bites, licks and taste). You'll get there, you did it before and that's an awsome accompishment!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Food is just part of the holiday experience. I'm thinking that guilt is as well!
    I find that worrying over each bite is a stress I don't need. January and the doldrums of winter will come soon enough, so I am allowing myself to splurge and enjoy.
    You should to.
    Weight and health is a balancing act. Like a pendulum, it will always swing back and forth to some degree.