For those of you hesistant to try eggs in your oatmeal..

Options
eleanoreb
eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
I have been meaning to try eggs or eggwhites in my oatmeal for a while, but have been somewhat affraid. I like sweet oatmeal, so i wasn't sure about adding in eggs.

I came accross this recipe on (http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/12/12/the-best-300-calorie-oatmeal-youll-ever-have/#comment-20278) and gave it a try.. so good!!

oatmeal.jpg

Egg White Whipped Oatmeal
•2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
•4 egg whites, beaten with a fork until frothy
•½ tablespoon salted butter
•½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1.In a small pot, combine oats with 1 1/3 cups water (always double the amount of water to the amount of oats. Ex: ½ cup oats cook in 1 cup water).
2.Heat on the stovetop, uncovered, on medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a simmer (about 4 minutes). Stir and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the oats have absorbed much of the water.
3.Pour in the egg whites and vanilla and whip vigorously with a fork, until the mixture is well blended. Raise the burner heat to medium. Stir in the butter.
4.Continue to cook for 4 minutes more, bringing the oats back to a simmer and stirring frequently.
5.When the oats have absorbed all of the water and the egg whites have caused them to puff and appear creamy, cover the pot and remove it from heat. Let the oats sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir and serve immediately.

I am not sure at what point you put in the butter, but I think if you just put in a pinch of salt in with the oats and water instead then that should be fine. It says the oatmeal is 300 calories and serves 1, but I found it was enough for 2. I also added 1 tsp (splenda) brown sugar to it, as well as a splash of vanilla almond milk.

Replies

• jkmurphy06
    jkmurphy06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! Kind of reminds me of rice pudding or baked bread pudding; it looks like it would have a custard consistency and the vanilla would probably make it taste yummy. I'm going to try this tomorrow morning, maybe I'll add some dried fruit and thanks to my horrible sweet tooth probably some splenda or truvia too. Thanks for the tip!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    great post! i have been skeptical of eggs in oatmeal too.........but this makes it sound sooooo good! like jkmurhy06 stated, it seems like rice pudding or baked bread pudding, which i love both :)

Thanks, will try maybe tomorrow
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!

I need to try this, except with GF oats and make it non-dairy.
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    yep, it's not dairy, there is no milk in it..
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Bump to try 2moro
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    YUMMMY Trying tomorrow!!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just read that post last night! I love her blog and need to try this.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    Just made this and WOW!! So yummy and filling! Thanks for posting!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    yaaay!!
  • LavenderLace741
    Options
    Bump
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just ran the recipe on the recipe maker and it came out to 460 calories
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rfifer1
    Options
    Hmm...I thought this sounded like an interesting way to combine my 2 favorite breakfast foods. I ran it through the recipe calculator as well and came up with 302 calories. Perhaps "LethaSue" used whole eggs instead of egg whites...?
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    First ya squat, den ya deadlift...den ya put da eggs in ya oats!
  • LethaSue
    Options
    No I added egg whites and 4 of them, it said the egg whites alone were 100 calories
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!

eggs: 60 cals
    2/3 cup oats: 200 cals
    1/2 tbsp butter: 50 cals

Total 310 cals
  • no8thletter
    no8thletter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lol I WOULD read this after making oatmeal and egg whites separately for breakfast. Must try tomorrow!
  • B-U-M-P!!! Sounds delish. Can't wait to get back from vacation to make this! :)
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ummm I'm always in2 heating weird combinations but this top it...might have 2 try this in my Andrew Zimmerman voice lol
  • LethaSue
    Options
    Ok I ran it again and also came out with 301 on calories........... I think the problem was in the oats, some of the listings have cooked oats and not dry oats.......... I also see someone else came out with 200 calories on oats and only 60 on the egg whites. Always good to second guess what the data base has in the way of calories as many times people add the wrong info there.