Anyone Use the Alli weight loss plan?

Options
http://www.myalli.com/?google=p_&rotation=886&banner=3965&kw=1853

Thats the website if u have never heard of it. i know this is supposed to help when u are already eating healthier and regularly working out, and a friend of mine who is a doctor told me she has seen people come in with great results after using this product. I guess my question is who all has tried this? whats the pros and cons? im really interested in it but would love some real feedback from people like me who are really trying to drop the pounds.

Replies

• beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things, BUT the biggest negative I have been told about is the sudden urges to have a bowel movement... and that the BM is never pleasent.
  • MrsJackieH
    MrsJackieH Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things, BUT the biggest negative I have been told about is the sudden urges to have a bowel movement... and that the BM is never pleasent.

thanks for the info! i heard that as well, but i also heard its only during the beginning while its flushing out your system.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    short answer...NO...save your money...

educate yourself....get information from websites that are NOT also selling this product.

good food and exercise is the way to go
  • MrsJackieH
    Options

educate yourself....get information from websites that are NOT also selling this product.

thanks!
  • Cinfybell
    Cinfybell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used the product a few years ago. I did not find it to help with my weight loss. Yes, it did flush out my system when I ate something that had alot of greasy fat.....pizza, hamburger. I was watching what I ate and exercising, but weight loss didn't improve with it. It is very expensive and I agree with Dave, save your money.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    it's modeled on a 20% intake or you get the "cleaning" affect. Just adjust your MFP goals and eat low fat with out the restroom requirements at sudden times. lol.....
  • MrsJackieH
    Options
    Thanks everyone! i just needed input, i already eat fairly well and im always working out, its was just something a friend of mine mentioned so i thought i would look into it!
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The only thing you'll be losing with Alli is excess bowels.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have to agree, save your money. I had horrible abdominal pain while using Alli and my friend experienced the "leakage", basically she had ZERO time to get to the bathroom and the bowel movements were liquid (and not just for the first few days)...she tried to stick it out. We both ended up giving it up after 3 weeks. I lost maybe 3lbs in three weeks, and I was eating better so how much effect did the Alli really have? Probably none. It's not worth the pain and certainly not worth the leakage...eww.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Alli side effects;

Gas with an oily anal discharge

Loose stools or diarrhea

More frequent bowel movements

Hard-to-control bowel movements

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alli/WT00030

Seems delightful.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It is a lower strength of a prescription weight loss aid medication. That's why it is the only FDA approved one.

It teaches you to cut of certain foods, otherwise you will have "fatty diarrhea", anal leakage and sudden urge to poo. Which can really ruin your day!

I would say save your money.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    ok alli is NOT for weight loss. It helps keep your body from absorbing fat that you eat- and actually research says you NEED good fats so I'm not sure how 'good' alli is. I'll tell you this: EAT LOW FAT! if you think you are, eat lower - EVERY DAY. it works. you WILL excrete excess fat - not from your ears.
    Don't eat any fat, don't wear your good undies and DON'T WEAR WHITE CAPRIS.
    I found if I follow the 'alli diet plan' (low fat) you lose just as well without the tablets.
    I'm actually keeping my alli tablets for revenge on any men in the future who want to screw me over while eating food I prepare (laughs diabolically) I wish I'd given them to my ex.. THAT would've been funny
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    The bowel problems aren't likely to go away after a few days because it doesn't "flush out your system." It stops your body from absorbing some of the fat you eat, which then has to go somewhere, so out it goes. While it is probably true that you won't have these problems if you stay on a strictly low fat diet - preventing fat absorption is how the pills work. So on a low fat diet they won't do anything at all (and you might as well not bother), and if you have more fat in your diet you're going to experience the unpleasant side effects.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's like it punishes you for making poor food choices by making you publicly crap yourself. I do enough things to embarrass myself without adding that into the melange of shame.

You're on the right track already. Keep up the good work!
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm on the NHS Equivalent of the Alli plan. It's also worked out to be a shed-load cheaper (£7.50 prescription charge for a month, rather than £50+ Alli for a month)

Basically the same chemical only Alli is half the dosage. The Drug (Xenical) has been very effective for me, it's helped me shift a lot of weight and would recommend it to most people if they have a bit of a struggle to lose some weight. The only negative aspect is the side-effect which is most popular......the 'flushing out'

I'm not ashamed to admit that my flatmate tricked me into eating a "low fat lasagne" (he said he used quorn mince rather than full-fat beef mince) and was flat-bound the next day (the git) and whenever I went to the bathroom, it was foul. I'm a biology student and it was foul by my standards :-p

But it is really effective at getting you into a low-fat diet. So, again, I would recommend going to the doctor and asking about Xenical, rather than going to Alli.
  • rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options

It teaches you to cut of certain foods, otherwise you will have "fatty diarrhea", anal leakage and sudden urge to poo. Which can really ruin your day!
    Hey this sounds like the same side effects as anything with Olestra. Hmmm, I say just buy olestra chips and get the same "pluses" :)
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm on the NHS Equivalent of the Alli plan. It's also worked out to be a shed-load cheaper (£7.50 prescription charge for a month, rather than £50+ Alli for a month)

Basically the same chemical only Alli is half the dosage. The Drug (Xenical) has been very effective for me, it's helped me shift a lot of weight and would recommend it to most people if they have a bit of a struggle to lose some weight. The only negative aspect is the side-effect which is most popular......the 'flushing out'

I'm not ashamed to admit that my flatmate tricked me into eating a "low fat lasagne" (he said he used quorn mince rather than full-fat beef mince) and was flat-bound the next day (the git) and whenever I went to the bathroom, it was foul. I'm a biology student and it was foul by my standards :-p

But it is really effective at getting you into a low-fat diet. So, again, I would recommend going to the doctor and asking about Xenical, rather than going to Alli.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Here's the straight poop, including a former user's candid (oily stool) experiences: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/399303-alli-weight-loss
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Seriously, thousands of people on here have lost weight without Alli, so look to them for motivation. Save the cash and your *kitten*.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Dunno where the OP is from but in the UK the NHS can perscribe alli for free..