Poll: Treadmill or Elliptical For Your Cardio?

Options
Hi everyone,

I wanted to see how many people use either the treadmill of elliptical for their cardio routine. Please post also how many minutes, mph, and incline (if any). Example: Treadmill - 30mins at 3.5mph on a 3% incline.

Thanks a bunch,
Brandi

Replies

• Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to see how many people use either the treadmill of elliptical for their cardio routine. Please post also how many minutes, mph, and incline (if any). Example: Treadmill - 30mins at 3.5mph on a 3% incline.

Thanks a bunch,
    Brandi
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm an eliptical girl. Running on a treadmill is hard on my feet (I've had surgery on both feet). I usually do 45 minutes on a pre-programmed cross-training routine.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    the only fitness equipment i have is an elliptical and i love it :heart:

i try to do 30-60 mins a day and usually burn 300-500 calories :flowerforyou:
  • arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical. I usually do between 25 and 45 minutes per workout, depending on how much time I have. Sometimes I can do 60 minutes if I'm in the mood :smokin: My speed fluctuates between 5-6 mph, and I usually don't drop or go over that limit.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I used to do the treadmill but in the last couple of weeks, on the advice of a trainer at the gym, I've moved over to the elliptical. The trainer I talked to told me that I'll burn WAAAY more calories on the elliptical than I will on the treadmill (which I've definitely found to be true), plus I'm also working my mid-section which will develop some of my stomach muscles and burn off "the old spare tire".

And after the first time on the elliptical, I could definitely tell I was working the mid-section...lying on the couch with my gut screaming at me, "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!?!?" Ha ha!

I usually do 40 minutes on the elliptical with the resistance set at around 8 or 9. At that setting, I'm usually pumping away at about 100-110 strides per minute. On average, I'm burning about 500 calories on those settings.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    well I personally use both I can't remember all the detail on the elliptical I change it up all the time but my last workout on the treadmill was the rolling hill #2 at 4.0 speed for 30 minutes it took me abit to work up to it
  • Brandiann
    Options
    I used to do the treadmill but in the last couple of weeks, on the advice of a trainer at the gym, I've moved over to the elliptical. The trainer I talked to told me that I'll burn WAAAY more calories on the elliptical than I will on the treadmill (which I've definitely found to be true), plus I'm also working my mid-section which will develop some of my stomach muscles and burn off "the old spare tire".

It's funny how your trainer told you to move over to the elliptical and the trainer I had today (free lesson when I joined the gym) told me to use the treadmill because you sweat more/burn more. I'm not new to working out as far as cardio so I now the elliptical gives you a great workout too! That's why I'm doing this poll to get some input. Personally I like the elliptical but I change up so I don't get bored.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    It's funny how your trainer told you to move over to the elliptical and the trainer I had today (free lesson when I joined the gym) told me to use the treadmill because you sweat more/burn more. I'm not new to working out as far as cardio so I now the elliptical gives you a great workout too! That's why I'm doing this poll to get some input. Personally I like the elliptical but I change up so I don't get bored.

That is funny. But I can tell you this: I sweat WAAAAAY more on the elliptical than I ever did on the treadmill...like LOTS. Attractive, eh? Ha ha!
  • Mommy2Girls
    Options
    I use a treadmill because that's what I have at home. So I do 45 min at 3.5-4.5 brisk walk/light jog with no incline.

I would love an elliptical! Your best bet for exercise is an elliptical as it works more areas of your body. Treadmills can be very hard on the knees and feet (as some have said) whereas the ellipticals work your legs in a "skiing" motion.

A treadmill can increase your HR pretty quickly if you were to get on it and run, but overall you will burn more cals on an elliptical.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical because I can do it much longer than a treadmill-if I tried to go at the same speed on a treadmill, I would probably die after 5 minutes, whereas I can stick with it on an elliptical for much, much longer... Maybe that's why people have more success with using an elliptical?

I also get really bad shin splints from running, but have no problem with ellipticals...:drinker:
  • Mommy2Girls
    Options
    I love the elliptical because I can do it much longer than a treadmill-if I tried to go at the same speed on a treadmill, I would probably die after 5 minutes, whereas I can stick with it on an elliptical for much, much longer... Maybe that's why people have more success with using an elliptical?

I also get really bad shin splints from running, but have no problem with ellipticals...:drinker:

Me too!! I wish I could find a good elliptical at a great price! Oh well, something to look around for!
  • Brandiann
    Options

Me too!! I wish I could find a good elliptical at a great price! Oh well, something to look around for!

You can try Craigslist.com and search in your area. They have lots of different things for sale (used and sometimes new) at great prices.
  • victoria0684
    Options
    i use both eliptical and da treadmil...but try walking up 10% inlcine on 3.0 to 3.5 mph...trust me u will burn off those calories QUICK...but i love using the eliptical IF it has long strides...da ones with short strides really burns the muscles on ur legs...
  • amyalwaysonline6
    Options
    I want an elliptical so bad, but I don't have any room for it.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill exclusively- it's also what I have at home!:smile: I don't have any knee or other joint issues. A big plus for the treadmill, for at least some of your workout, is that it is weight bearing exercise, which us women really need to help stave off osteoporosis. You don't have to run. An elliptical is just too soft on the bones- they actually need a little pounding to stay strong!:smile:
  • MissResa
    Options
    I bought one, and now it's at my parent's house-I have a much smaller home than them, and they have a workout room... So now we all can use it, and I get to have a little extra space at my own home:devil: :laugh: It also helps that I help out over there all the time, so I can't skip using it...
  • MissResa
    Options
    I use a treadmill exclusively- it's also what I have at home!:smile: I don't have any knee or other joint issues. A big plus for the treadmill, for at least some of your workout, is that it is weight bearing exercise, which us women really need to help stave off osteoporosis. You don't have to run. An elliptical is just too soft on the bones- they actually need a little pounding to stay strong!:smile:
    Very true, but if you incorperate weight training in your workouts, it'll keep osteoporosis at bay, too!!:bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have and Elliptical machine....Or Elli as I call her! We have gone many a mile and burned many a calorie. I found it at Play it again sports, they sell used equipment.

Right now I am using different machines to shake things up. I love Elli, but she is my old lover and knows me so well.

Today, at the gym, I walked on the treadmill. I have and HRM and I burned the same amount of calories because I challenged myself. Up hill....higher and higher....then flat at 4.0 (I RAN!!! ME!! I CANT BELIEVE IT!)

It is good to change things up!!

:flowerforyou:
  • ggooding12
    Options
    I use to use the elliptical but my feet feel asleep after 20 minutes. I liked it best because it was an overall workout. Arms & abs too. i moved to the treadmill, I love running. I do minimum of 2 miles a day. I use to do 5.2 at 2.0 incline. I have since then increased my speed to 5.6 at 1.0 incline. 35 miles takes 27 minutes. Then I weight train afterwards.
  • bearlynoticeable
    Options
    :tongue: definatly the elliptical.... tho i am now trying to use the treadmill more... for jogging..... but i wouldnt give up the elliptical fr anything... its a great workout...