Sore Muscles - Weight training Workout

Options
I started weight training a month ago and I workout 5 days a week. My muscles are always sore the next day after the workout. I do understand that the initial first week or second week everyone will have soreness and after that it will fade away. In my case I have soreness even after a month. Does this mean that I will be having soreness even after many months of weight training. Is this normal for all weigh training candidates.

Note: Each week I have been slowly increasing my weight limit . I take 3 days rest between each muscle group.

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and it's going to happen when you push or work your muscles in ways that haven't been worked before.

I don't know what your workout consists of, but 5 days a week may be a tad excessive. But you will still feel sore, after about 10 weeks of weight training, if I have an awesome gym session, I feel sore the next day, but by my next gym session, it's fine.
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    It goes the more you do it. Protein shake after workout helps especially if agg 5g creatine.
    Have a bath when you get back.
    You either get used to the pain - or start tyo enjoy it or stop noticing it.

No pain no gain is true.

If you take bicarb of soda you can get rid of some lactic acid too - its noth somethingi'd do though
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Note: Each week I have been slowly increasing my weight limit .
    Here's your problem. Stick at the same weight for a couple of weeks, then when that no longer makes you ache, THEN increase the weight.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    umm i work out 6 days a week n most of time i even go on my "rest" day... i work 1 body part a day and it will stay sore for about 4-5 days... if i dont get sore after my workouts i change my workout as thats when you know you are about to plateau and wont see as much results... the sorness is nothing to worry about just lactic acid build up.. do about 10-15min of cardio AFTER you weight training and that will help release the lactic acid out of ur muscles..
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Oh yes and make sure you have some sugar in your protein or a banana or flapjack something like that after then your feeding muscle.

I have cottage cheese at noght of casein protein shake when i'm not cutting up.

micellular reflec caseins good and so is ON casein - but these are thicker shakes than whey and take some getting used to at night. They cause a clot in your stomach of slow release protein.

If its bad pain take ibuprofen as its inflamatory
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    umm i work out 6 days a week n most of time i even go on my "rest" day... i work 1 body part a day and it will stay sore for about 4-5 days... if i dont get sore after my workouts i change my workout as thats when you know you are about to plateau and wont see as much results... the sorness is nothing to worry about just lactic acid build up.. do about 10-15min of cardio AFTER you weight training and that will help release the lactic acid out of ur muscles..

Yeah but you're a beast.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If I'm not sore the next day I feel unnacomplished .....YOU SHOULD FEEL SORE!!...I've been working out hardcore for a year and I still am sore...way more often than not.
  • EuroDriver12
    Options

Yeah but you're a beast.

lol thnx brother but u get there by training n being sore for the rest of ur life! once u get used to it and you dont get sore you start to miss it n try anything u can do be sore again!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Yes cool down cardio really helps me a lot. Plus it burns calories >:D
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Cardio after my workouts have not really helped eliminate soreness(ie.. jumprope 30 min) Especially on leg days. Light cardio the next day has though. Along with protein and BCAAs.
  • johnlewismodel
    Options

Yeah but you're a beast.

I think this is the most honest answer your going to get and a good one. Good post

lol thnx brother but u get there by training n being sore for the rest of ur life! once u get used to it and you dont get sore you start to miss it n try anything u can do be sore again!
  • EuroDriver12
    Options
    Cardio after my workouts have not really helped eliminate soreness(ie.. jumprope 30 min) Especially on leg days. Light cardio the next day has though. Along with protein and BCAAs.

yes doing cardio leg days especially jump rope(workout for legs on its own unless u have been doing it for a long time) WILL NOT get rid of soreness... your goal when doing that post workout cardio is supposed to be LIGHT... e.g. i always do the bike at lvl 1 resistance but pedal about 110RPM's this way its really light pressure on the legs but ur heart rate still goes up...
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Problem is I don't always live to workout. I workout to help improve my other activities. So being sore on the day that I play b-ball or do a hard hike isn't helping me. I have to schedule my training accordingly.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It goes the more you do it. Protein shake after workout helps especially if agg 5g creatine.
    Have a bath when you get back.
    You either get used to the pain - or start tyo enjoy it or stop noticing it.

No pain no gain is true.

+1
  • Jeff92se
    Options

yes doing cardio leg days especially jump rope(workout for legs on its own unless u have been doing it for a long time) WILL NOT get rid of soreness... your goal when doing that post workout cardio is supposed to be LIGHT... e.g. i always do the bike at lvl 1 resistance but pedal about 110RPM's this way its really light pressure on the legs but ur heart rate still goes up...

Noted. I'll try some superlight treadmill. ie... just walking. You make a great point. I'm stuck on trying to burn as much calories as I can and sometimes I forget to tone it down on certain days
  • EuroDriver12
    Options
    Problem is I don't always live to workout. I workout to help improve my other activities. So being sore on the day that I play b-ball or do a hard hike isn't helping me. I have to schedule my training accordingly.

do light cardio like i said instead of jump rope or sprinting... sorness has never stopped me from playing any sports? basketball, soccer or even boxing once in while? the best level of sorness goes like this - day 1 you train chest, day 2 your chest is tight a little sore, day 3 your chest is pretty sore, day 4 you feel better but little tight still, day 5 - u only feel it when u push on ur chest almost fully healed, day 6 ur fully healed, day 7 you hit your chest again...
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options

Great suggestion... Will do because even after almost 2 years of intense capoeira training, 3 times a week, I ache for days!! I stretch, I take a warm bath but alas, I walk and move like Mr. Roboto 48 hours after my training session. Granted, I am 40 after all by that's just a lame excuse...
  • Jeff92se
    Options

do light cardio like i said instead of jump rope or sprinting... sorness has never stopped me from playing any sports? basketball, soccer or even boxing once in while? the best level of sorness goes like this - day 1 you train chest, day 2 your chest is tight a little sore, day 3 your chest is pretty sore, day 4 you feel better but little tight still, day 5 - u only feel it when u push on ur chest almost fully healed, day 6 ur fully healed, day 7 you hit your chest again...

On b-ball days(Fri) (ie.. after doing legs on wed), I'm still gimping around. I loosen up afterwhile but I can tell I'm not at my best. But I'll give the light cardio a try.
  • EuroDriver12
    Options

Great suggestion... Will do because even after almost 2 years of intense capoeira training, 3 times a week, I ache for days!! I stretch, I take a warm bath but alas, I walk and move like Mr. Roboto 48 hours after my training session. Granted, I am 40 after all by that's just a lame excuse...

if all else fails ur training too hard and need to tone it done a little... you just have to listen to your body... n yes age is no excuse :P theres a 85yo grandma that comes at 10pm to my gym all the time n trains in the free weight section, also a italian man about 55 hes short healthy lookin guy n he lifts more than most of my 20-25yo friends lol
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Hopefully you are a little sore but you should not be as sore as you were when you first started lifting. Being slightly sore is normal and good as it shows that you have broken down the muscle adequately. To aid in the recovery process, ie. help the muscles rebuild, make sure that you get plenty of protein especially after your workout. Creatine and BCAA's also help in the recovery process.