Bridal shower gift from future mother in law?

Options
I need suggestions for a bridal gift for my future daughter in law. My husband says to just give her a gift card for like JC Penny's or Walmart. But, do you think that's too impersonal?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I need suggestions for a bridal gift for my future daughter in law. My husband says to just give her a gift card for like JC Penny's or Walmart. But, do you think that's too impersonal?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OOPS:blushing:
    I would love a simple gold heart necklace.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    defo something from the heart . . . maybe a framed photograph of the happy couple

crystal photo frame or something

oohh, or you could get a double photo frame and get a picture of the happy couple when they were of a certain age, like 5, two photos of them as cute kids

that would be very cute and special :heart:
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    My MIL gave us a dinning room table, that she let us pick out
  • réalta
    Options
    is this a present just for her or for both of them?
  • MattySparky
    Options
    furniture is always good. but it doesn't have to be big or expensive either to mean alot.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    a nice locket or charm bracelet
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought....if you do want to give her a gift card, how about including a heartfelt, handwritten letter telling her how much you're thrilled that she's joining your family. That letter may be the one thing she treasures more than anything you could give her. ???

Or jewelry...can't go wrong with jewlelry, right? :laugh: (But try to find out if she's a gold or silver person first)! :wink:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    If she has a registry anywhere, check that out & see if anything is on there that you would like to buy them.

A set of dishes or pots & pans with a bunch of your son's favorite recipes tucked inside for example.

A cookbook that you could start for her with room for her to fill in her own recipes.

You are such a good MIL already for thinking of this! My MIL made me a shawl to wear for my wedding day (November in Ohio + sleeveless = COLD) and I treasure it dearly! Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    defo something from the heart . . . maybe a framed photograph of the happy couple

oohh, or you could get a double photo frame and get a picture of the happy couple when they were of a certain age, like 5, two photos of them as cute kids

:blushing:
  • réalta
    Options

or dual pix of the parents when they got married and your wedding photo:drinker:

awh, that would look great too, something that they will always have :heart:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the registry if she has one and perhaps try to find something from that that is a little more personal.

I know the dilemma, blindly picking some curtains or sheets or something from the registry doesn't seem as personal for someone close like your future DIL, but they ARE things that she has selected that she wants.

My best friend just got married a few months ago, and I had that same problem. I hated to go off the registry because it seemed too impersonal, but yet everyone always thinks they know what the couple will just love, and veer off the registry....but the couple does not always love the gift that the gift giver loves so their stuck with this stuff they have to return.....yes any gift is the thought that counts, but it's so much nicer to get a gift you know you can use.

So, I found something on the registry that kind of showed that I knew her better than most....her and her husband both love the Detroit Tigers, and she had a Detroit Tigers throw on her registry from Bed Bath and Beyond so I got that for her. I also drew her a little cartoon picture of her and her husband dressed in Tigers clothes in front of Comerica park.....she loved it because it was a little more personal and showed I cared enough to put that much time into a gift.

So I vote for something from the registry, and if there is anything you have a talent for, like drawing or knitting or something, then include that as your "gift from the heart".
  • BrenNew
    Options
    That was one of my reasons for asking all my wonderful MFP friends what I should get, since I don't even know if the bridal gift is just for the bride, or if it's supposed to be something for the two of em! My own bridal shower (for the first husband!) was over 30 years ago, and all I can remember getting is a bunch of crock pots and cook books. None of which I used very much, since I am "NO BETTY CROCKER"! :laugh:
    I don't really know my future daughter in law very well, since she doesn't come up very often with my son. She seems nice enough and is very smart, just passed her exam and is a full fledged nurse now! But I don't feel comfortable enough to write her a gushy letter about joining our family.
    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I gave her a necklace for Christmas, so I suppose I shouldn't do THAT again? Maybe I CAN get some sort of frame, but gee, that doesn't sound like a very good gift to me, but, then again, that's why I'm asking! Thanks again! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Maybe that is just what you guys need, an ice breaker of love.

You could tell her how much you loved your son when he was born, how you enjoyed raising him and celebrating his acheivements. How you always hoped he would find some one to love him as much as you.

I would have KILLED to get that letter!

My mom died when I was 28 and his family was the only one my kids would have. I insisted on vacation every year at Omis so my kids would know their family. I still would love to hear my MIL tell me I am good for her son and she is glad he found me and it has been 27 years!!

Oh well, maybe I am just mushy today!

I am so happy for your family!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I made a quilt for my future DIL for her shower, using colors & themes she likes. A shower gift is usually something for the home - decorative or useful. What about some family recipes in a nice binder she could add to? Or family photos? Or a sheet set or household appliance? When I got married, my parents made a deal with my future in laws that one would buy the washer, the other would buy the matching dryer.
    My mother in law also stocked our refrigerator while we were away on our honeymoon.
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Maybe that is just what you guys need, an ice breaker of love.

You could tell her how much you loved your son when he was born, how you enjoyed raising him and celebrating his acheivements. How you always hoped he would find some one to love him as much as you.

I would have KILLED to get that letter!

My mom died when I was 28 and his family was the only one my kids would have. I insisted on vacation every year at Omis so my kids would know their family. I still would love to hear my MIL tell me I am good for her son and she is glad he found me and it has been 27 years!!

Oh well, maybe I am just mushy today!

I am so happy for your family!!!:flowerforyou:

Awww, thanks. I wish I COULD be all mushy and come up with something, but, I don't think I can. Like I said, we don't get together very often, so I'm just not comfortable writing a bunch of stuff that I don't really feel.
    Maybe I'll try the registry thing, if I can find out where they're registered. I just tried JC Penny's and Walmart, nothing.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Ask your son what she'd like.
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Ask your son what she'd like.

I guess I will, but, knowing him, he won't have a clue! Kinda runs in the family I guess! :laugh:
  • beagle595
    Options
    I never got a bridal shower gift from my Mother-in-law. She never even responded to the invitation or the messages from my family. But I still respect and love her... The most cherished things I ever received from her after we were married was all my husbands school pictures from Kindergarten thru High School.. Thank God because her house burnt down years later and everything was lost.
    Something from the registry is nice and also something sentimental like his childhood photo's (** Don't forget the gift receipt...)
    Remember you don't want to lose your son, you just want to gain a nice Daughter-in-law.. Because not all Daughter-in-laws are forgiving like me.. :wink:
  • BrenNew
    Options
    I never got a bridal shower gift from my Mother-in-law. She never even responded to the invitation or the messages from my family. But I still respect and love her... The most cherished things I ever received from her after we were married was all my husbands school pictures from Kindergarten thru High School.. Thank God because her house burnt down years later and everything was lost.
    Something from the registry is nice and also something sentimental like his childhood photo's (** Don't forget the gift receipt...)
    Remember you don't want to lose your son, you just want to gain a nice Daughter-in-law.. Because not all Daughter-in-laws are forgiving like me.. :wink:

Well of COURSE I'll get her SOMETHING, I've just gotta figure out WHAT. :laugh:
    I think that stinks that you didn't get anything! She doesn't sound like a very nice mother in law!
    As far as childhood photos go, I made a DVD of my son's whole life, which includes pics of him with her at the end of it, and gave it to him for his birthday 6 months ago.
    What do you mean about a "gift receipt"?