Sometimes kids are bad for you diet

Options
Okay, I never post, but it has been a tough week. Skipping to the point, I am a teacher. One of my students drew a short story "starring" myself and another teacher. Long story short, the story ended with the other (Skinny) teacher being called pretty and me being called fat (litterally the story was about how I am ugly because I am fat). I work with special needs high schoolers, so I know he did not mean to hurt my feelings. I have been working hard and have lost 14lb since October. Has anyone else felt that sinking feeling when you think you look good and then you get brought back to reality?

Replies

• mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    Options
    awwwwwweee
  • tpatter
    tpatter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a teacher as well and completely understand! To make matters worse for me, I'm a stress eater!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had something similar happen and it hardened my resolve to keep this up and continue to lose. It also sent me running to the library to find books/stories about how what is important to not judge on how a person looks but how they act and treat other people.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    14lbs is amazing!! special needs or not Highschoolers are can be vain and judgemental. its the age and hormones, I would try to set the mindset that they do NOT live in "reality" not for at least 10 more years... try not to sweat it, I dont know what you look like, but I can tell you this, You are not ugly because you are not "skinny" you are changing your life and striving to be healthy and fit. That is beautiful. Look in that mirror and tell yourself that you are amazing everyday. silly but it helps.
    Have you noticed that as weight falls off so does the apparent age? take a look at some before and after pics!! I do they motivate me.

stay positive and try not to let one persons' view destroy yours!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I work with special needs students too.. and sometimes they are a bit more honest then they should be :) I also had one of my alternative high school students tell me, were you ever fat? You'd look better if you weighed 300 pounds.. I just kinda stood there and went oh, ok.. thanks!

Don't let it get you down and keep on pushing. I'd also use this opportunity to teach him why it's wrong to say that.. and hopefully get an apology.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    yep every time i look in the mirrior...

14lbs is awesome!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!!!!:drinker: