Ladies with PCOS..why is weight loss soooo SLOW...

Options
Man, you work hard and hard and hard did I mention hard. And the weight loss comes off so slowly. I started this journey in February and have only lost 29lbs. I would love to hear from you ladies that have PCOS, is it slow for you as well and if not. I know its possible for us, just at a slower rate.

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Reason being is that your body rejects your insulin, due to your hormones not working correctly. When the insulin is rejected it turns into fat.
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    Accidentally posted twice... sorry.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It sucks!!! I do know that if you go low carb the weight will come off faster.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Also Metformin (generic fo Glucophage) will help you lose weight. Its a diabetes drug that they often give women with PCOS. When I got diagnosed with Diabetes the doc put me on metformin and I lost alot o weight right away.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have taken Metformin in the past. Do you think Metformin would help? I have been working extremely hard the last three weeks, and the scale won't budge. It is so disheartening, but I don't want to give up this time. I have been eyeing lowering my carbs as well. Looking forward to others' comments.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. Vickyg1 read my mind! :smile:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I agree..going low carb...will drop the weight. the way our bodies work..is that whenever we eat carbs..it turns it to glucose then fat...
    So I eat low carb..about 80% of the time....carbs from natural sources...fruits/veggies.

Try different things..to see if it helps. I know for me..it would seem the weight dropped quite quickly with only 1 plateau. BUt I was also on metformin and armour thyroid.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes slow weight loss here as well 21lbs and i started 1st june. But it doesnt bother me, i am loosing and thats the main point, its also soemthing which has never happened for me before. With it i have lost lots of inches and certainly dont have any very flabby bits from fast weight loss. I wont lie, when people on my friends list are posting 2lbs loss each week it does get me down but i know this time i will get to where i want to be and the loss so far has given me added benefits associated with the PCOS. Some of my symptoms are definelty improving
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump... Im a cyster also and I hated met cause it hated me, but I have heard people say it works for them. Low carbs is what does it for me and low sodium...
  • darsh11
    Options
    Yes it is slow, but it does come off. My Dr and Nutritionist recommended a low-carb plan that is followed by people who are diabetic. I eat no more than 45g of carbs at one meal and 30g of carbs or less for snacks. I also balance a protein with a carb so there is no spikes in blood sugar. The weight is coming off faster now. I am averaging about 1lb a week now where before I was stuck at about .25 or .5 lbs a week. If your PCOS is really bad they might recommend Metphormin to help balance your insulin levels. It has taken me 2 years to lose 65 of the 100lbs I need to lose. Slow and steady weight loss is ok by me. Also never say that you have ONLY lost 29lbs. Try picking that amount of weight up for a long period of time and you will see that it is a lot of weight. Who cares how long it takes to lose it. Enjoy the journey and celebrate the fact that you no longer have 30lbs to carry.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies, I love to hear stories of women with PCOS loosing the weight, it shows that it is possible.Very encouraging.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    bump... Im a cyster also and I hated met cause it hated me, but I have heard people say it works for them. Low carbs is what does it for me and low sodium...

"cyster" never heard this term before, nearly choked laughing! I'll use that term to describe myself in future :)
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Mine is extremely slooooow Started August 1st and lost 15 lbs and gained back 3 so technically only 12 lbs down.

Low carbers CAUTION! I did low carb and lost 80 lbs like nothing. As soon as I would eat a single piece of bread BAM! 5 lbs back on. So make sure its a lifestyle changs not just a temporary diet because the weight will come back on quickly if you start eating the while stuff again. Good luck everyone! (btw I did gain every bit of 80lbs back)
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for about 8 or 9 years. I will tell you that is possible to lose weight. My doctor wouldn't put me on Metformin because I'm not diabetic. I've just had to pay attention to things. The first time I lost a lot of weight I was just following a diet from the weightloss center, but I lost too much soon and gained it all back and then some after 3 years. Right now I am doing the good old fashioned stuff to get off the weight. I am literally just counting my calories. I am trying to cut back on some of my carbs, but not completely cutting them out. If you do try to cut all carbs, you will eventually gain the weight back. I also try to workout most of the week. I promise that is possible.

My dad told my mom and me the other day not to do a diet that we can't keep the rest of our lives. This is why I think counting calories is the best option. It does make you aware of the nutritional information, but you aren't depriving yourself. You'll eventually get to where you kind of know what is in what and what a serving size is without having to always look it up and measuring.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am just starting to get to the age where I am asking my doctor about PCOS. When they told me I had it I was too young to care or ask questions.
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    I agree with the rest. I am on Metaformin twice a day. I try to keep my carbs low most of my meals and snacks during the day and have one splurge on carbs a day. Also exercise has been helping. All three really help.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My doc told me low carb it as well and only whole grains and natural carbs when I have them. For the last 4 months (since my wedding) I fell off that wagon and it has been a struggle so far to get back on and because of that I gained nearly all back. The weight was slow to come off until I knuckled down on the carbs and sugars. I do not like being on meds of any kind so I know my diet is key. Good luck to you!
  • missay_
    Options
    i have the same problem. i am kicking my *kitten* and tracking everything. and the weight just STICKS. maybe i will try low carb thanks to all these ladies :)
  • alleyrat
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had WLS. (I am 3 years post op). My surgeon wants me to stop metformin but every time I do I regain weight big time. I lost around 50lbs after the surgery but gained back about 12lbs in 6 months. I was at my lowest point about a month ago. I have a nutritionist and will stick with her - but joined MFP and started logging about 2 weeks ago. I did some reading on these forums and realised my biggest mistake has always been *under-eating* and then caving in to craving and having some biscuits or salty-fat/ sugary-fat foods which of course piled on the pounds immediately because my body was in survival mode all the time. So I decided to give the MFP calorie counting a go (with nutritional guidance from my NUT) and eat the recommended calories a day. As predicted at first I gained - but only for a few days, now I am losing steadily. Every day the scale tells me I have lost a tiny bit more... and this is such a huge change for me. I am eating more than I used to eat and as I am trusting the calorie counting I am not feeling guilty. I can also analyse my sugar/fiber intake (which is not the best yet). I have stopped feeling hungry - another miracle!

So in summary - I am taking metformin for PCOS despite what my surgeon wants. WLS was not the whole answer as it fuelled the starve/binge pattern (and by binging I mean 3 cookies or a bar of chocolate) although it took me from morbidly obese to just obese. MFP and calorie counting absolutely rocks.